“Another great stay at the Sandhurst”
Review of The Sandhurst

The Sandhurst
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Middlewich
Manila, Philippines
“Another great stay at the Sandhurst”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I had to write another review of this fantastic place, the Sandhurst is like a home away from home.

Everytime i come back I'm made to feel welcome (like one of the family) and i greatly enjoy my stay.

The staff are very attentive and always go that extra mile to ensure that your stay is enjoyable and relaxed.

Breakfast is as always fantastic and the evening meals are beautiful, i always put on an extra few pounds when i come here.....

The rooms themselves are very nice and during my stay, all of the TV's were upgraded to new flat screen televisions (the one that was placed in my room was a 32 inch screen).

A short walk into Middlewich town centre and some excellent country walks near-by.

All in all, a great place to stay, to relax and unwind. My thanks to all at the Sandhurst for making me want to come back time and time again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013

When I phoned to book a room for one night I requested the best, or one of their better bedrooms. I was told the executive room was available so booked it. It is the one with the four poster double bed and on-line it looks bright and comfortable and thats what I mean by digital photography/ enhancement. The bed does not look too bad on the photograph but it was not an easy bed it squeaked at the slightest movement . I noticed another unfortunate person commented on the problem. {Hotel owner try putting talcum powder on the bed joints, it will solve the problem } The executive room had an en-suite which was furnished with one of those shower over bath fittings that I cannot master because I have only two hands ! The toilet was one of those saniflo things that sound like a concorde taking off each time it was flushed and unfortunately I did have to flush it. The single glazed window panes had little effect on the heavy traffic noise.
I had dinner there and requested port with my cheese, the port came in a tumbler. After the dinner experience I left the following morning and decided not to ill-treat my stomach further By having breakfast.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Alfreda F
thesandhursthotel, Owner at The Sandhurst, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Our photographs are not digitally enhanced as suggested and no photograph can show the comfort of the bed, which is a subjective matter anyway.

We have taken on board the comment regarding the squeaky bed and have had a carpenter out to resolve the problem.
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

It has been sometime since I stayed at the Sandhurst Hotel but feel compelled to let potential guests know that this has to one off the best hotels I have ever stayed in - the owners are really genuine and go out of their way to make all guests feel welcome and at home and you are not a room number!!! The food is excellent served by the nicest and most courteous I've ever come across. The rooms are also excellent, comfortable and clean with all the necessary facilities.
I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone looking for an hotel that is great value for money and is run by lovely people.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
london
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here 1 night on biz trip. Welcoming staff, small bar with a cask ale that closes at 9pm. Restaurant food is basic but well done - sausages mash onion gravy, lasagne etc. Restaurant decor is well done. Basically its a guest house with a bitmore. Room was clean and comfortable. 3 course meal with 3 pints of ale about £22. I didn't fancy any of the set deserts so asked staff if they could make a cheese board up - extra £2.95, no trouble - when it came out was a meal in itself. Breakfast good but you have to order the night before for some reason. If you want to find things wrong then the TV in my room was not quite edwardian and the remote control was broken- still able to watch it through the freeview box. If you are at the front of the building there is some road noise from HGV's into the evening and in the morning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
thesandhursthotel, Owner at The Sandhurst, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for your comments, we are glad you enjoyed your stay. The "pub style" menu you mentioned is offered as a value for money alternative to our residents at £9.99 for 2 courses. A full traditional A La Carte menu is also offered at all times. The Bar does not shut at 9pm, it closes at Midnight when the Restaurant closes providing customers still require a drink or the use of the bar.
We thank you once again for your comments and look forward to seeing again.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed January 9, 2013

There were so many positive comments about The Sandhurst, I was very surprised to be so disappointed.

The Edwardian thing: A middle aged woman has a dressing up fetish. That is all. Check-in: Confused. Two ladies couldn't find the reservation, the third was expecting us. Had to pay in full on arrival, they didn't want to take a payment on the Sunday morning of departure.

The Room: The lady who showed us to the room said that it was worth the journey up two flights of stairs. She was wrong. Room 7 is built into the attic, and is lined with pine boarding. The décor is tired, the finish (e.g. tiling, bath seal, shower) is poor. The bathroom was properly cleaned, however. The floor is very creaky, I feel sorry for anyone sleeping in the room below. The Bed: If I have spent a more uncomfortable night, it was probably on a sack of coal. Hotels should buy hotel quality beds. So should guest houses aspiring to be hotels.

The breakfast that Makro built: We were asked if we wanted the Full English breakfast on check-in we couldn't decide in the morning. I said yes, and asked if I needed to be more specific, was told no. It turns out that we should have placed a very detailed order, because the only choice we had at breakfast time was tea or coffee. I expected the man serving to come back and ask us how we wanted our eggs cooked, brown or white toast, etc. but on his return he was bearing our pre-cooked breakfasts. The low-lights; sausages were baked dry, beans were cheap, mushrooms were unseasoned, bacon was undercooked, there was a hash brown underneath the egg that absorbed a lot of oil from the egg, although it was still swimming. There was a selection of cereals, orange juice and yoghurt, which was fortunate, because the "Full English" was a national disgrace.
The heating: The heating and hot water was not working on arrival, but to their credit the same man who cooked breakfast came straight up and fixed the problem immediately. It may be that this room isn't let very often, otherwise the heating problem, dust on the wardrobes, crazed glaze on the cups, etc. would have been spotted by the owner.

In summary: It isn't a 4 star hotel. Judged as guest house, it would scrape 3 stars. Despite recommendations from family living in the area, we really wouldn't want to stay there again and would have been better off in another hotel in Northwich.

Room Tip: Try the Travelodge up the road in Northwich.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank MichaelSouris
Desborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Just returned from another brilliant weekend at this hotel we just cannot speak highly enough of this hotel. From the homely feeling you receive when you enter until you leave you have the feeling that you are the only person there, nothing is to much trouble for the staff.
The food is exceptional and worthy of five stars, better than we have eaten in any London hotel.
We said goodbye to Rowena but not for long as we will be going back again as soon as we can.We do suggest that if you are in the area do go and enjoy the feeling of going back in time, and being treated like royalty, and of course sample the delights of the menu.Well done Rowena

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Food excellent - credit to the chef!
Wonderful service and very relaxing atmosphere. Hostess really friendly and welcolming.
'Billy' a frequent guest at the hotel was an added bonus serving behind the bar.
One of the best meals out we have had in a while - very good value and quality.

Room Tip: Didn't stay but met a regular guest who was very complimentary.
Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Carlnantwich
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middlewich
Travelodge Middlewich
The Vicarage Freehouse & Rooms
Hartford Hall Hotel
Hartford Hall Hotel
#3 of 3 in Northwich

Been to The Sandhurst? Share your experiences!