“They made my entire trip”
Review of The Verdin Arms

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Middlewich
The Verdin Arms
Ranked #5 of 5 Middlewich B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 7, 2012

The staff are over accommodating, the room was clean warm and very well equipped with everything a traveller needs to make them feel at home. The food offered is exceptional and well prepared. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone touring Cheshire, they are even worth re-routing just to experience hospitality at its best.

Sue Smith
North Carolina
USA

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank superiorlady

Reviewed April 25, 2012

I visited this pub after returning to the UK from travelling abroad for four years. During that time I visited many restaurants but nothing quite like this.

I had heard things about this pub that made me wary, but I am glad I went to find out for myself. The waiting on staff were all very accommodating and nothing was too much trouble for them (although the older member of the bar staff answered her mobile phone behind the bar, which I found to be very unprofessional). It was brilliant to be served traditional home made English food which stood out (even the chips were made fresh, not this frozen rubbish). I don't know how anybody in their right mind could confuse the food with microwaved meals (as a reviewer said earlier). My steak was cooked perfect, rare with no blood (just how it should be!) and my wife's Seabass was even better than the menu could give it credit for.

As we were leaving, the Chef personally came out to say good bye to us and I appreciated this very much and I will return again when time permits.

Tony Willis

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TonyWillis01
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Staff were all lovely, even the chef made us feel welcomed, he's obviously a lovely lad & the food was beautiful.
will recommend highly & will return soon as im looking forward to having a steak and ale pie again (yum yum).

• Stayed: April 2012
5  Thank nogalog
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Four of us ate at the Verdin Arms on a Friday evening. There were three other parties there, two couples and a larger group. The positive things are that the staff were friendly, the prices were reasonable, there was a good range of drinks (for a Robinson's pub) and the bar area was clean.

The decor of the Verdin Arms is confused and brings to mind the image a 1970s hotel reception area. Quite what image the management are hoping to achieve with the combination of furniture, water features and film projections is beyond me. The car park was unlit when we arrived and the entrance to the men's toilet was via a storage cupboard.

As a vegetarian, the menu offered me a choice of risotto or mushroom pancake. The mushroom pancake was described as mushrooms in a Stroganoff sauce with cheddar cheese wrapped in a tortilla! I'm all for experimental food but this is just odd. I was informed that there was also a vegetable curry available and this is what I chose. Other members of our party had a mixed grill, a steak and ale pie and a chicken dish. All the main courses were served with "jenga chips". These were actually nine flaccid chips arranged in a stack. More attention should be paid to the cooking of the chips as opposed to the presentation. The pie and chicken were satisfactory but the mixed grill looked to consist of the cheapest available ingredients. The vegetables were presented separately and were overcooked. They consisted of new potatoes, (which seemed somewhat strange as all the main courses came with potatoes) with a small amount of sliced carrot and broccoli. The vegetable curry was served in a strangely shaped small bowl and appeared to consist of the same side vegetables as those presented with the other main courses, in with what tasted like a Chinese curry sauce.
Overall, we were very unimpressed and would not return to the Verdin Arms.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 7, 2012

A few days ago some very close friends of mine asked me to meet them at the Verdin Arms and have some lunch. Prior to going I came on to here to get an idea of what this restaurant is like, ...after reading the reviews I was abit sceptical about going.
My friends reasured me that it is nothing like the reviews on here... So I decided to give them the benifit of the doubt and join my friends.
...i am so glad that I did go because I have now found a new favourite place to eat, walking in to the building you get a very warm welcoming, the landlord does everything he can for you to have a enjoyable experience & well and truely makes you feel at home !!
The decor is absolutely fabulos, (I could quite happily have the curtins and the lovely wallpaper in my house) ... It has obviously had a womans touch ;)

The service given by two waitresses was second to none !
And the food was out of this world, you can tell they have chefs that really care about the food they send out of their kitchen.

one thing that I am trying to say is to not go by what all reviews say ... I almost didn't give this place a chance due to some reviews from people who don't know a good thing when they see one .(and this place is a very good thing)
...i will be returning on many occasions and will bring more friend with me !!

Thank you to all @ The Verdin Arms xx

• Stayed: February 2012
4  Thank almondbutterfly
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Recently visited and had lovely warm welcome excellent hospitality. The fresh home cooked food it lovely and it was no trouble for them to meet my dietry requirements.
After reading reviews on here i dont beleive a word so i will never go by what people say i will always review a place myself.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank bev h
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Having had high hopes when walking in to find a very nice interior, these were were soon dashed by the terrible service, waiting time and very, very mediocre and bland food. The salad on the plate was a joke, a few lettuce leaves held together by a strip of cucumber, this would have fitted in the palm of your hand, the Lamb Shank had obviously been steamed being a grey white in colour,and the veg. consisted of 2 small florets of Cauliflower and the same of Broccoli. The price of the sweets was a rip-off having asked for Chocolate and Vanilla Ice-cream, when it arrived there were 2 small scoops of Chocolate and 1 small scoop of Vanilla which turned out to be Sorbet, no wafer biscuit and a price of over £4.00. A member of staff needs to visit the Broughton Arms at Balterley or the Rising Sun at Tarporley to see how it should be done. In the words of a customer at a nearby table saying this will be the first and last time of coming here.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple