“Worth the walk and the beers a good reward”
Review of The Big Lock

The Big Lock
Ranked #3 of 24 Restaurants in Middlewich
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Situated on the Trent & Mersey canal on lock 75 The Big Lock has been refurbished in 2012 and recently reoccupied by previous tenants Ken & Jackie Pickles in Feb 2013 having run the pub Nov 2008 to June 2011.We have a bar area & snug with pool table lounge areas and a restaurant with a balcony over looking the canal with outside seating front & canal side with a function room available to hire over looking the canal. There is a large car park available for walkers and pub visitors. We are open all day every day and serve food every day all day.
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stopped here for a bite and a beer after a long days adventuring. The atmosphere is clean, polite and the staff most accomodating. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. The location is a little off the track, but benefits from a canalside view and outdoor seating. All in all a good all-rounder.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

This is a well run family business, the bar staff are always ready to great you with a smile and are extremely helpful with any additional requests. We have never been disappointed with our choice of meal and always feel very comfortable in the surroundings. To add to this it over looks one of three canals that pass through Middlewich, so there are lots of nice Narrow boats passing by. In my opinion a must place to visit and eat and drink.

jackie p, Owner at The Big Lock, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

thank you for you review, yes we are a family run pub with great staff and we do try to meet every ones needs & requests as we believe if the customer is spending their money with us we want to them to be satisfied and go away happy. Again thank you for taking time to review us.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Another canal traveller here who stopped at Big Lock for an evening meal. We've been through Middlewich before a few times and had previously found The White Bear a good place to eat and relax (that's another story after our last visit) and found the Chinese restaurant to be poor.
Big Lock is a relaxed and friendly place - friendly staff and the food was excellent. When I see a burger on a menu I'm desperate to find out whether it's good or not. If not, I don't mind going back to that restaurant or eaterie but know to try something else.
Here I know what I'll be ordering next time! It was a large beefburger with bacon and cheese (can't remember which kind of cheese but this certainly added to the flavours) - it was gorgeous. A choice of thick or thin chips (thick please) and fresh salad. My partner had a delicious salmon and potatoes. After finishing her meal she asked for a taste of the burger - one small bite and she said she wanted one of her own it was that good.
Service was polite and friendly without being intrusive - something which we like. Other tables I saw with good sized portions were clearly pleasantly surprised by the presentation and portion sizes.
We saw the chef behind the bar on paying and gave our compliments. He looked very hot but not at all bothered by it, just wanting to please his customers and engaged in a short conversation.
It was very surprising to read such negative reviews on here but that's their experience of the Big Lock.
Personally, I'd recommend this for a meal in Middlewich without a problem.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Living in Middlewich, I was very happy to see the re-opening of the Big Lock.

I last visited 2 weeks ago for an evening meal with friends. The weather was fantastic so we took our meal on the veranda with views overlooking the canal. The meal was excellent, with the best 'fat' chips ever! The staff are always very pleasant, polite and helpful; nothing ever seems to be too much trouble for them.

The pub its self is tastefully decorated and has a very friendly atmosphere. Yes, I'm very pleased to see this pub back in safe hands.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I disagree with the last comment, I went into the big lock Sunday and had a very nice Sunday lunch with my family, staff were very friendly. I will defiantly be making another visit very soon! It was nice to sit on the balcony and look at all the boats.