“Good party venue”

Dining options: Reservations
Wincham, United Kingdom
“Good party venue”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We have been to this venue many times for parties both in upstairs and downstairs function areas. The buffet food provided is of a good standard and the staff and friendly.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank nwichsue

London, England, United Kingdom
“Carnage Hall”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I virtually never complain, but have to write this, my worst dining experience in Britain for 20 years. The staff were OK, although more concerned about the events and conferences delegates than hotel guests. Dinner was dire. I ordered mint risotto (the only veggie main option). It came quite quickly (so couldn't be a proper risotto), was luke warm and tasted foul. It was late and I was tired and hungry so ate it anyway. Wish I hadnt as it left me feeling not so good.
Note that they have late conference activities in the bar, and the delegates can be noisy. I was on the ground floor and did not get to sleep til nearly 2am with noise. With a 6am start I would have had more rest staying at home and driving up in the morning!
Breakfast was OK, and the acres of grounds are fabulous.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank DinoKay
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Carnage Hall”
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Had a fixed corporate menu and was staggered at how bad it was. The service was ok to be fair but the food was simply attrocious. Pumpkin soup all 1 cm deep of it was errr soup , people grabbing extra bread because it was so woeful a serving. The main transpired to be a chicken breast affair with a token gesture veg offering, and the sweet ( well mine anyhow) consisted of 3 blueberries in a 3 inch small bowl covered with i kid you not, tinned custard ( this was the considered opinion of about 5 of my nearest diners .... the rest of the deserts had the blueberries but a different white flavourless concoction.. I was assured by the waitress mine was different because it was "made specially " as they had ran out of the initial stuff....... Simply mind boggling , and it was paid for ... never again.. has Holmes Chapel got a McD`s?

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank STEVEnALI
“Average”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Looked good as usual , however be warned they have 1200 gym members and a tiny gym so if you think you'll get a workout after or before a hard day, which is the only reason I chose to stay here for a week on business, seriously think again, pool was ok though. Having twice tried to get on a resistance machine and failed, too packed ,I thought I'd use the website mentioned running track, to be told "yea mate go to the entrance turn left and run down the road and back" To be fair this was not the usual happy helpful chap usually on the desk? Possibly the final worst part was being charged an eye watering £7.50 for a glass of wine.Which when in a hotel all week is extremely annoying as you feel confined to your room or oblige to this rip off to break the cabin fever. I was also told that food was part of my booking , now ok a joint communication problem as I assumed that meant my company had done a deal where dinner was included, not the case they just charge the extortionate rates to your boss and you have to explain the £15 wine bill (2 glasses of wine) £4 for table water ( I managed to stop that one) and £4 expresso, when i thought that as it was a deal i could have a starter, main, pudding a considerable explanation is how my boss saw the final bill, which I agreed with, fine dining it wasn't, the mussels were full of grit ( use a sieve?) the pudding seemed of the frozen kind? . To continue, no phone coverage in the hotel!! I had a dongle to connect to my work servers which I couldn't use all week , orange network ,and struggled to make calls on my three mobile. Not what you would expect from a 'businness' hotel which is how it seems to make its trade. Plus side I did eat a delicious fish main beautifully cooked, breakfast ok and handy man very helpful as I'd had a car accident on the way up there.room comfortable and clean and nice size to work in. Verdict stay for a night if your at a conference there, but eat at the George and dragon down the road

1 Thank Mooc71
Cumbria
“Excellent!”
Reviewed November 24, 2011

Very tasty, very good value and a good variety on the menu.

Visited November 2011