“Spa break with no spa treatments!”

Hallmark Hotel Manchester
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Handforth
“Spa break with no spa treatments!”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My hubby very kindly purchased for me a overnight spa break at The Hallmark.
Booking in was a little troublesome as the 1st room given was shabby and not very clean, however the staff quickly changed the room and gave me another with a complimentary bottle of Red by way if apology.
The evening meal was very nice, if a little rushed by the staff who were over every 2 minutes.
Again great breakfast.
The issue I have though is the communication between the hotel and the spa. Upon booking I was told by the reception at hotel I had just 1 spa treatment, in facr I had 2 but couldn't book 2nd treatment as too late by time I realised. Then the following morning I asked reception (at 9:40) what time the spa opened, not till at least another 30 mins was the reply.
In short due to miscommunication on behalf of the hotel and the dismissive attitude of the staff at the spa, (4 staff sat down chatting when arrived) I paid short of £100 for a "spa" break with no spa treatments. Not very good value for money at all, and as a family this is not something we can afford to spend on.
Not happy.
Awaiting response from spa manager.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank wendwhoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Great stay and park option to manchester airport with long stay parking. Only gripe was the room was so small it was a very very tight squeeze with all our suitcases and the 2 kids!! There was no room to move at all!! The kids kept getting hurt tripping over everything cause there was no floor space at all!! The kids beds where terribly uncomfortable to so much so I had to let them sleep on the double and I was in the camp style bed! Thankfully it was just to get a quick rest before heading back home to Glasgow.

Despite all that the room was lovely and clean the service to airport was excellent, it just was not a family room at all! Even small for a double!

We have booked this again mainly for parking option and transfer to airport and thankfully our flights to Italy are very early so if the room is as small this time we won't be in it for long anyway. It's a great option for park and fly and couples but if you plan on staying longer with kids I'd check the size of room you'd get first!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times and never had any problems. The rooms are modern and always clean and the staff friendly. Some of the rooms are fairly compact with others being more spacious and I have never had any problems with noise from other rooms. Wi-fi can be a bit patchy at times but I have always managed to connect.
The food in the restaurant is very good quality, which is reflected in the price. If you like good food it is a good option, although there is a pub opposite the hotel for those wanting a cheaper pub grub option.
Breakfast is perfectly adequate with the usual selections as well as some others cooked to order. I don't feel that it is of the same quality as the food in the evening, (eggs never survive being kept warm very well) but you won't starve!

The park and fly package uses taxi transfers which means you don't need to fit in with any timetables or travel with other people. Our taxi was about 10 minutes late, but we had allowed ourselves plenty of time so this wasn't a problem. I think it is sensible to allow some leeway for traffic conditions etc.and consider what time of day you are travelling. For the return transfer you call the taxi company once you have collected your luggage, our driver arrived after about 5 minutes so we were very satisfied. Transfers take about 15 mins.

You park your car at the rear of the hotel in a designated area.Whilst it it not secure parking I didn't feel that security was an issue and was not nervous about leaving my car.

I would recommend this hotel, it is modern, convenient, and in my experience good value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed here for my boyfriends birthday just after Xmas and we were really impressed with the hotel. We spent a few hours in the spa facilities which weren't anything special (heated pool, sauna, steam room & jacuzzi) but they were enough to keep us entertained for an hour! We also had a back, neck and shoulder massage which was very nice and the staff were lovely.

The hotel is very modern and spotless throughout. The decor is very boutique style with deep purple, gold and light green furnishing throughout. The rooms are small but they are very comfy and well decorated, the bathrooms are tiny, but you do have a bath, shower and sink area with some blue LED spot lights which are a nice touch. They have all the usual's such as tea and coffee, hair dryer, ironing board and iron, dressing table and large TV with all the free view channels. The beds are comfy and we slept very well.

The food is the best part of your stay at this hotel! We enjoyed tapas in the bar for an evening snack which was in the very comfy bar area. But the best was yet to come with our evening meal! We both really enjoyed our meals and there was nothing left on our plates! Breakfast was fantastic too; it is served as a buffet and you can help yourself. There is lots of hot and cold choices to choose from as well as tea, coffee and fresh juices.

Food and drinks were priced pretty standard for a 4* hotel, so not the cheapest meal but not over priced either.

Location is brilliant as well if you are looking to go out into Wilmslow or Alderly edge as it would be approx £10-£12 in a taxi. The train station going into Manchester is also pretty close.

We will certainly be returning to this hotel in the future and would like to thank the staff for a lovely stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Great service, well organised. Good facilities and food. All round i would recommend this venue for a business or leisure stay. Ask for a cappuccino to be included in the breakfast and they happily obliged. well located for manchester airport, trips into manchester etc

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 13, 2012

The hotel itself was nice enough. The rooms were tastefully decorated and the bathrooms were clean and looked modern but I had 4 problems with it

1) they had obviously made a lot of effort to get good wifi throughout the building haven't yet succeeded. The wifi in my first room was very patchy so I changed rooms to where it was better but still not 100%
2) the service charge for room service was outrageously high (nearly 50% of the food cost) which it stated in the menu and they re-confirmed when I rang the order through but still a lot.
3) the heating was on really high in the 2nd room I stayed in. I tried to turn it down but in the end I resorted to opening the window and then heard the traffic noise a lot (and I usually feel the cold).
4) the shower was disappointing. It had next to no power and just sort of dribbled out.

I wish i had used the pool as it looked really nice and the food in the restaurant was nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Hotel may not look fab from the outside, but inside - thats a different story. Rooms are lovely, i think 4 or 5 years ago the hotel was fully refurbished. The bar and restaurant - great! Food is lovely, whether you fancy some tapas, or nice evening meal, breakfast is amazing too! Staff is ever so friendly and helpful. Whenever we go on holiday and fly from Manchester, we always stay at Hallmark.

Room Tip: Bottom floor is nice and quiet