“Mostly brilliant, some staff members not so great.”

Waggon & Horses, Greene King Pub & Carvery
Ranked #8 of 14 Restaurants in Handforth
Description: Waggon & Horses is part of the Greene King Carvery pub brand, offering a mouth-watering carvery and classic British pub food. We’re all about those everyday excuses to relax and unwind with friends and family. Our carvery is served fresh every day, with a choice of 14 hours slow cooked meats, and starts from just £4.99. We look forward to welcoming you soon
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I have been coming to the waggon and horses for years now, throughout all the different names or changes it has had and usually it's a decent place to eat.

They usually have offers on - and even when they don't it's still cheap enough. If you just want a drink or even a family meal it's good value for money.

It can be busy sometimes but you can normally find a table easily and it's not too loud even on busier days. The food is nice, edible and worth the money you pay usually.

It's a good place for families and for couples, they also have a wacky warehouse on site for the children and until recently they had an outdoor play area. No idea why they got rid of this, they have simply added more outdoor tables that they cannot fill, even in the recent heatwave they were still half empty - the childrens play area outside was more useful than tables.

I visited the waggon and horses recently, for something to eat and a few drinks. Firstly when ordering my drinks, the barmaid ignored the fact that we had been there first and chose to serve somebody named Ian, who I assume to be a regular - despite us having waited for ten minutes before he even arrived. When she did serve us, the woman I believe to be called Sharon, was the absolute definition of grumpy - she stood talking to her colleague, gossiping and moaning about another member of staff with a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp. When we later ordered our food she made out like it was a massive hassle for us to substitute our chips for herb potatoes, something we do every time we order there (they are much tastier than the chips I promise you) every other member of staff is happy to do this for us no problem. Whilst waiting for our food she barked at my boyfriend that he wasn't allowed to use his electronic cigarette in the bar area - this is a fact we are already aware of - he simply had it next to him on the table and he leaves the bar to smoke it outside. Once ordering a dessert, she complained about us asking for no ice cream, cream or custard on the chocolate fudge cake - she actually tutted at us when we asked for it plain. Now, we come here a lot, she has served us before and is usually pleasant, never overly enthusiastic but pleasant. She was clearly in a mood about something - now I am the kind of person that believes you should not bring your personal life in to your work life, and if you do then you should not take it out on other people especially not customers. As I say she is usually pleasant, but we shall be avoiding her from now on - nobody wants to see someone miserable when out having a nice tea do they!

Other than that I would highly recommend it here, other than the odd grumpy member of staff - it's a lovely place.

2  Thank GabbiSixx

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We were on a hen doo across the road at the hotel, but went here for lunch! The put a table together for 10 of us no problem, food was quick, hot & good no complaints, drinks more expensive than at home but to be expected & the food cheap so that made up for it! Nice staff, good pub!

2  Thank sarahbank
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Good tasty food at reasonable prices and an "at home" feel. The staff were very relaxed and friendly.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Visited here on Sunday 26th May, thought we would finish a nice day out with a pub tea. I looked online for any deals before setting off and we were pleased to see that the kids meals were on offer for a pound each when bought with any adult meal during this half term. Hubby, 2 kids and I arrived about 6pm and found a table straight away as it wasn't very busy.
Hubby and I had the 2 for £10 meal deals and the kids had a kids meal each, when I paid for this I was charged the full price for the kids meal. When I queried this with the lady behind the bar by asking "aren't the kids meals a pound each?" she answered by saying "oh, do you want them to be?" Well, I know they are quite cheap to begin with but I wasn't about to say "D'you know what, I think i'll just pay full price even though you have an offer on, its fine!" As if!! She then informed me that I have to mention the offer before I get it! How ridiculous! So basically, if you don't remind the staff that THEY are ADVERTISING an offer you won't get it.
The food arrived reasonably quickly, the kids didn't get bored waiting. After the main meal they played on the playground while waiting for dessert. The prices are very reasonable, we all only had one drink each with a main meal and a dessert and it was less than £30 for 4 of us.
So to sum it up, the food is nice and you get a good portion and the price is very good, they just need to work on the service side of things for SOME members of the staff here. The young lad that brought our food was very pleasant and helpful.

2  Thank Vicky A
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Went on a Saturday evening about 7.30 plenty of tables.
Lots of offers on.Had 2 starters for £5 and also We chose 2 for £10 mains and got a big plate of fish and chips and mushy peas. 2 for 1 on puddings too but we were stuffed to eat any more.
Good food good value.