“Built on biltong on my tongue”
Review of Jabula - CLOSED

Jabula
Cuisines: African
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Jabula Restaurant is a traditional South African Restaurant serving South African cuisine like Boboti, Durban Curry,Potjie, vetkoek, boerewors & pap, bunny chow, crocodile, ostrich and many more dishes. Jabula cater for vegetarians as well as gluten free or any other dietary requirements. Situated next to the Manchester Ship Canal, close to Cheshire Oaks, Blue Planet aquarium and Chester Zoo. With easy access from the M53 (Junction9) and parking in front of the restaurant. Live drumming and entertainment on a Friday nights, you can join in the drumming or dancing at the end of the evening.
Warrington, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Built on biltong on my tongue”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Had an afternoon meal here, the evenings need to be booked in advance as it is a very popular restaurant.
I had the biltong salad, my partner had the burger
The bilton was excellent, both meals were served together which is always a good sign of a well managed kitchen.
The staff were very presentable, courteous and attentive without being overtly so.
The dining space is clean and uncluttered with a good space between tables
The waterfront views are an additional bonus and add to the ambiance of the venue
Already decided to visit again now we have seen the menu
Good for couples, family, solo or a business meet
No trace was left of the burger !

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Worth searching for!”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

After being told by many friends about this place, had to try springbok and crocodile for myself. After difficulty finding the place, was shocked at how close and public the table arrangements made us feel. Found half the staff extremely friendly and helpful, could not say the same about the rest. Were not offered drinks or even spoken to by the guy who sat us down but the woman who came for our drinks order was superb.
Drinks service was a little slow at beginning but fell in love with this place after the first bite of my food. Both mine and my friends starters were amazing! And were full of flavour and definatly generously sized. Mains were even better! Definatly recommend the game selection, zebra, springbok, ostrich and zebra meat in an amazing sauce. Cooked perfectly to my liking and the woman made sure we were more than satisfied with it, not in a pushy way.
After stepping out back for a cigarette I was amazed by the beautiful view of the river, would be ideal for afternoon/evening drinks. A little difficult to find but in a beautiful spot next the boat museum.
Only recommendations I could give to the manager would be to space out the tables, making it a little more private and that all the staff met the standards of the wonderful waitress we had.
A great end to the evening where I was faced with my own 'bush tucker trial'. After learning it was my birthday, we were greeted by a very friendly African boy who offered the trial. Willing to try anything I accepted and had a great laugh throughout.
DEFINATLY RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE!!!!

Crawley, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Birthday fun!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I have just enjoyed my birthday celebration at Jabula. Excellent food and wine, South African style, with great service and a smile. All this, together with African drums and a bush-tucker trial!

Highly enjoyable and recommended!

Visited June 2013
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Go to this restaurant!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Visited Jabula during a Tuesday lunchtime as a treat for my boyfriend's birthday. I pre-ordered the 'Game Platter' for us as it gave such a great selection of traditional S.A dishes from the main menu - everything was delicious!
We were so impressed, everything was obviously homemade,yes there was a bit of a wait for food but who cares when it's cooked fresh! The novelty value of being able to try meats including crocodile & zebra was great. I would particularly recommend the home made cakes for dessert.
Would definately recommend this restaurant & I can't wait to go back again one evening to experience the atmosphere there at night :)

Conwy, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is the second time we have had a meal here and I was disappointed. We joined friends for a birthday celebration 12 of us in all. We were crammed onto tables so tight that our elbows were touching as we tried to eat our dinner and there was little room to put drinks or side dishes. There was constant bellows of smoke from the kitchen and the heat in the restaurant was so high it was unpleasant. Someone had said that the filters in the kitchen were blocked which would probably explain the excessive heat and smoke. The staff were as friendly as our previous visit and there is a good choice on the menu, however some of us this time had “jippy tummies”. I had filet steak which to be honest was more like braising steak. It is quite a novel restaurant with alligator on the menu but would I be rushing back??? Maybe not in the near future.