“Bar snack/Sunday lunch”
Review of The Chimneys

The Chimneys
Ranked #14 of 133 Restaurants in Ellesmere Port
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Chimneys in Hooton is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
North Wales
“Bar snack/Sunday lunch”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Called into The Chimneys on spec. and found it quite busy as they were busy serving Sunday lunches to the Mothers day guests having Mums of all ages out for treat. But not too busy to serve my better half and myself a bar snack off the "specials" board, a good selection of quite different meals were available, ordered at the bar and given a wooden spoon to show the server where we were amongst the good number of diners scattered about the restaurant. A pleasant meal enjoyed, along with a good pint. A reasonable wait, considering how busy it was. I commented on the fact that I was glad they didn't use the usual sesame seeded rolls with our snack and was informed that they make their own rolls every day, always a good omen.
An enjoyable meal in a clean and friendly staffed pub restaurant with reasonable priced meals. Well worth a re-visit.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank pete-flint

• Czech first
  • Polish first
“1st and LAST experience”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Visited with partner and 21 month old son. Arrived very hungry. Asked waitress what soup of day was informed it was CREAMY SPRING VEGETABLE SOUP so decided to order it . soup arrived and did not look as I had imagined. Had a spoonful and it tasted hot and spicy. At thsMvtimmy partners starter which was advertised on menu as having crusty bread arrived with a quarter of a soft ro and no butter. Asked waitress was my soup meant to be red an spicy and was told it was Red Pepper. Then asked waitress , why the crusty bread as advertised on menu was a soft roll which you couldn't use to soak up melted brie as it broke up an was told they had run out of crusty bread. Starters where returned.
We waited over 45 minutes for our main meal to arrive and was told by the manager he worked it out as 39 minutes only 4 minutes more than time had put on his notice board. I explained our son by this time was hungry and getting restless. And was abruptly told to go and sit down and he would deal with it in 30 seconds. He appeared at the table 5 minutes later (at this point I knew his watch was not keeping the correct time).
We had ordered a roast meat platter to share. Which is consisted of a slice off beef a slice of turkey a slice of pork each 3 roast potatoes each a Yorkshire pudding, peas, cabbage and a parsnip each. The portion size made me question what was the point of getting the Platter for two as opposed to getting The Meat Platter for one? Was left both still hungry but didn't want to experience Desert.
Settled bill and left rapidly never to return. I

• Visited April 2014
6 Thank mysteryshopperjen
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Always a consistently high standard”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Not once have I ever been disappointed with the service and cuisine at this excellent establishment, just great ...

Visited March 2014
1 Thank GJack734
London, United Kingdom
“Nice pub, decent food but terrible long wait for service”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Nice pub, decent food, friendly staff, and a typical pub menu. But a really long wait for the food to arrive. Over 50 minutes !!!
The food when it did arrive was decent but no way worth the wait. This was a Monday evening.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank DodgerIrishinLondon
Chester, United Kingdom
“Will not visit again!!”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I recently visited The Chimneys with my husband for an impromptu birthday lunch. Firstly, we had to queue to order the food. The Manager was the only person on the bar and he was serving the drinks as people ordered their food so the wait to order was lengthy. We ordered one starter and two mains. We waited over 45 minutes for the starter! At no point did anyone tell us there was a delay on food and as the restaurant was so short staffed there was nobody for us to ask. The starter of battered mushrooms eventually came out and was fresh and hot.
The mains then came out as soon as the starter was finished. I had sausages and mash. The sausages were burnt and the whole meal was dried up as if it had been standing under a heat lamp for a long period. My husband had the chicken ham and leek pie with chips. Again the whole meal was dried up and there was hardly any chicken in the pie.
We came to the conclusion that our starter had been forgotten and come to light once the mains were ready, which meant that the mains had been standing under the heat lamp while the starter was prepared and eaten. At no point did anyone check if our food was ok, and again there was nobody around. This was not the first time we had been short changed on the chicken portion at The Chimneys. My daughter complained to the Manager at The Chimneys about her chicken portion last year and he was very rude to her, so we didn't want to end up in the same position so left without complaining.
This all took place on a Friday lunchtime, which the management should expect could be busy, and yet the place was drastically understaffed. I must add that we did arrive early for lunch, just after 12 noon, so I dread to think how long the people were waiting who arrived later!
I was due to have lunch at The Chimneys the following week with friends, but I changed the location. I will not go there again! If you like the menu at the Chimneys, I recommend you try The Cheshire Cat instead. Its has better food, larger portions, particularly the chicken, and efficient staff and management. I already have local friends who travel there even though they live very close to The Chimneys. Just on a further note, the grounds of the chimneys are very neglected and the whole place just needs a good shake up!!

• Visited March 2014