“Such a shame, low quality food.”
Review of Bunbury Arms

Bunbury Arms
Ranked #76 of 138 Restaurants in Ellesmere Port
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stopped off here for dinner on the way back from Cheshire Oaks, with my partner and baby boy. The pub looks lovely from the outside but inside it was very dark and cramped. It was quite awkward with the pram because all the tables are so close together. Waitress showed us to a table that was not set and felt a bit sticky. I had chicken and chorizo casserole. Turned out to be chunks of dry chicken and chewy chorizo in tinned tomatoes with some dried herbs sprinkled in. The bread was served without butter. My partner chose the beef burger. Just one bite reminded me of something from a burger van.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I would never normally bother writing a review but this place deserves it!

For a start I find it difficult to believe this place had had bad reviews, must have caught them on an off night!

I was here a couple of nights ago, when visiting the cinema and went for some food beforehand, it was absolutely excellent.

The food was beautiful and big portions which is always nice to see.

Such a pleasant atmosphere, so warm and cosy, even the staff were polite and friendly.

It's just a shame I live 20 miles away, otherwise I would be here every week!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We as a family have visited this pub several times on its quiz nights. It's strange that a pub that claims to' know its beer' sells beer that is very inconsistent and obviously poorly kept. Once we thought it was unfortunate, twice, we became worried, a third time (in the space of 4 months) we converted to lager for the evening....there won't be a fourth time!

Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Food is fresh & plenty full. Service is ok what u expect from a pub. always a good atmosphere. Would return again

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Been visiting the Bunbury Arms for well over 20 years, it dipped a few years ago (after big Al departed), so started to give it a miss. Was told by a work colleague that it had recently improved, so decided to give it a try again. Maybe early Saturday evening wasn't the ideal time, but hey, the kitchen staff should be able to cope with a busy time. Actually it wasn't heaving, but was quite busy.
Black pudding & chorizo starter was okay, but the red wine sauce was too sweet. Calamari was excellent, but the dipping sauce came straight out of a bottle, which was a little disappointing.
Fish and chips at the Bunbury used to be legendary, can't say it still is. I don't want to say categorically that my fish was a frozen portion, but the shape was very reminiscent of those triangular portions; and the "chefs real ale batter" was not crisp or like any proper batter I've had in a long time. It was also overcooked, and more brown than golden, which made the fish inside quite tough. My wife's Barnsley chop was tastyband well cooked, but the gravy was minted, the mashed potato was minted, overall she said the dish was too minty (and she likes mint).
So overall a meagre 5 out of 10 for the food; but the beer is still good and not overpriced. The ambience is also just as good as it used to be and contrary to other recent reviews, the staff were friendly and helpful.