“great value, great place”
Review of Saffron Restaurant

Saffron Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 138 Restaurants in Ellesmere Port
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: High class contemporary restaurant,bar and nightclub
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Went as part of a small group, 8 of us all together. Despite arriving at 7.00, we were offered a choice of regular or early bird menu. Some went regular, most went early bird.

For £9.95, early bird diners had poppadums and chutney, a stater, a main meal and finished with either coffee or ice-cream.

Terrific value, especially as few people managed to finish the main courses, they were so large!
But didn't skimp on taste or spice.

Staff were attentive, but not overbearing, the decor is truly modern, not what I normally associate with Indian restaurants. It is a large restaurant, with ample seating, that does not feel overcrowded. Plenty of parking is available.

Most definitely a keeper!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Went to this restaurant as a group to celebrate a friends retirement. Service wase very, very slow. Some ordered poppadoms & dips instead of starters, these were brought out then when people finished eating these they brought out the starters. After this we waited at 30 minutes for our main courses to be served, most of which were cold and some of which were totally wrong. Service to our table was appalling and the excuse was they were 'busy'. Why, if they can't cope with a grouop of 20 do they accept bookings. We all agreed that it was the first and last time we would eat there.

1  Thank squarepair
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I am really surprised at some of the comments on here, as my partner and I visited on the Bank Holiday Monday in August and thought it was fabulous!
It was very quiet for a Bank Holiday and was unsure if that was a good or a bad thing! As there was only 3 other couples in the restaurant. We were greeted by a smartly dressed gentleman and was offered a choice of table. We chose our table and the waiter placed the linen napkin each on our laps.
The restaurant is modern with a nice decor of cream and black with nice comfortable leather chairs, with two TV's playing Indian music in the background, it is quite a big restaurant but you wouldn't feel that you are sat on top of each other if it was a busy night.
The waiter took our drinks order and gave us plenty of time to look at the menu as there is a lot to choose from. We both decided to have a starter and main course each and of course poppadoms with a lovely mix of chutneys...would have quite happily munched on those all night!
The starters were lovely the chicken tikka I had the chicken just melted in my mouth, I also had a chicken dish for my main too which came on a sizzling skillet with side salad, I had also ordered rice as did not realise the dish came with salad, but again the chicken was delicious with a lovely spice to it, but not hot, but couldn't eat it all as I ordered toomuch. My partner had sheesh kebab and also a chicken dish which was slightly hot for me, but then again my partner likes his curries hot, but again the chicken melted in your mouth and he really enjoyed it. We decided not to have naan bread and a good job to because they are huge and come on a stand, brilliant idea!!
We were left on own at one point as all the other eaters had left, but was not felt we had to rush.
I believe it may have been the manager of the restaurant who came over to chat to us, asked where we were from and if it was our first visit, which it was but will not be the last. He was very proud in telling us that his restaurant had 5 star food hygiene certificates, which he pointed out to us on the restuarant wall as we left.
We do like Indian food a lot and have been to some very good restaurants but this by far was our best experience yet and was very surpried how reasonable it was, it's very good value for money.
Cannot wait to return and have already recommended it to family and friends!!

1  Thank Jo B
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Went to this restaurant as it had good reviews, however we waited 10mins before they came to take our order, requested mild good and with no salt as my 25 month would be eating too, they were very funny about this not sure why as we were the only ones @ the restaurant, waited 15 min for mains which all tasted the same, the chicken dish had 4 pecies only and the rice was worse than packet microwave rice. Asked for the bill and was very supprised as it wad much more than what we pay in a London based restaurant. Never go there again, to top it all off there was a cat freely strolling around in the restaurant. Food standards agency will be contacted.

3  Thank Veena78
Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

Uneventful meal. Food was very good and presented nicely. The staff could have been friendlier.