“COMFORTABLE HOTEL”

Holiday Inn Express Crewe
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Crewe
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Booked into this hotel before I read the reviews so arrived with some trepidation on Saturday 6th July.Good location for the centre of Crewe, parked under cover at the rear of the hotel and entered by the back door, spotlessly clean reception and entrance. Check in was speedy as we have already paid.Our room was on the 2nd floor right at the end no. 202, the room and en-suite were spotlessly clean, the window was open so even though it was a very hot day our room was cool. Walked up to the shopping centre in about 10 mins. Went out for the evening in Crewe, had one drink at the bar on our return.Not many people drinking there. Bed was comfortable, breakfast the next morning which was included in the price, unlike the premier inn,
there was coffee or tea, orange or apple juice, plenty of nicely cooked bacon and sausages, baked beans and scrambled eggs, as much toast and jams as you wanted, sorry forgot about the 4 choices of cereal available. Also a choice of yogurts and two types of fresh fruit, I would say more than adequate, and even though it was getting towards the end of the breakfast service these were all replenished whlst we were eating. Could'nt fault the service, room or breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel would be the quietest, the road outside was fairly busy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
CraigPearmain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Crewe, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and leaving us a review. Im glad that the hotel was up to the standard you were expecting. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I use here when travelling on business. I have been fortunate to have never had a room on the front of the hotel over looking MacDonalds.

The rooms are always spotlessly clean. I'm my opinion the beds are a little on the hard side but I still manage to get a reasonable nights sleep.

Breakfast is a help yourself buffet style. There is a good choice of hot food and continental choices.

You get free Wifi but this can only be used on one device. I'm sure if asked the staff would provide extra codes.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for staying with us and leaving us a review. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I have really mixed feelings about this hotel. Some aspects of my stay were excellent but others awful, and as a stop over whilst travelling on business I have to primarily judge on the quality of sleep I endured.

The hotel was very easy to find and has a decent number of car parking spaces, including a number undercover at the rear. Access is easy, with doors at both the front and rear leading to reception. Staff at reception were very welcoming and friendly.

I had a corner room on the top floor which was spacious for a HIE and had floor to ceiling windows. It was absolutely freezing when I entered the room as the Air Con was on minimum temperature and full fan speed. I tried to regulate this a little and found it was impossible as the only working control was the on/off button, it was a choice therefore of ice cold or off so I lived with it.

At the front of the hotel is a MacDonalds, which my room directly overlooked. I did not fathom the implications of this until the early hours. Unfortunately this is seems to be a 24 hour operation and has a drive through lane which ran straight outside my window, as well as adjacent car parking spaces. From 1030 through to the early hours there was considerable noise from those using the restaurant including a procession of cars with their music thumping literally right outside. To make matters worse my room was constantly illuminated, I managed to block the full on corridor lights by using spare pillows but the lights outside shone straight into my window and the curtains did little to block this out. Suffice to say, I got very little sleep.

Good Wifi signal but stupidly this could only be used on one device, i.e. once you have registered a device you cannot use wifi for anything else. I cannot understand the logic of this, many of us have multiple devices, in my case my laptop, phone and an IPad. There are no options, you cannot even pay for extra service. Once you have used the code, that device has it for your stay and that is it, even if you disconnect it. I set up my phone when I arrived to grab e-mail, which meant I was then scuppered for the rest of my stay. Got to say they have just not thought it through at all.

I had a brief breakfast, sausages and bacon were good, juice coffee and eggs were poor.

If you do visit make sure you get a room at the back or at least away from the MacDonalds end of the hotel. Also be warned about the wifi!

Room Tip: At the back, away from the MacDonalds.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
CraigPearmain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Crewe, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Express Crewe. I'm sorry to read that you had issues during your stay. The wifi is available for more than one device simply asking for more codes upon check in or during your stay would have been enable you to use the wifi on as many devices as you needed. The McDonalds drive through is a 24hour operation and is something the hotel have very little control over. The curtains however are fitted with black out sheers that sould block out and outside light. I do hope we can welcome you back in the future and a request for a back room would be more suitable for your stay.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I booked an advance purchase room which was great value. The hotel is conveniently located and has a good "underground" car park with easy access to the hotel.
The welcome was excellent and the room rate included free wifi which was a pleasant surprise.
Shame Holiday Inn Hotels charge for this.
The room was comfortable, clean and well equipped with an excellent wet room style shower. One minor gripe is that there is only one proper chair, but I guess the hotel mainly caters for single business clients. The room was very quiet. I chose one on the first floor which faces the back of the hotel. The staff advised against the top floor as was a sunny day and this floor apparently warms up a lot!
The included breakfast was basic but good with cooked items available. We could have eaten an evening meal in the hotel but decided to try the nearby Italian restaurant, Giovannis. Not a particularly good choice - see my separate review.
All in all the H I Express is thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: First fllor rooms face the rear of the hotel and seem to be quiet
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed here on the way back from Bradford as we wanted to go to Stoke on Trent to replace some china. We usually stay at the HI express Stoke but this time it was £79 which we thought VERY expensive considering the Crewe one cost £49.…..
Talking to the receptionist it turned out that it used to be a Ramada, not surprised as it wasn’t like any other HI express we’ve stayed in. Our room was on the top floor with floor - ceiling windows in a bay and the bathroom was much bigger too, only drawback was that the pillows were hard..
The breakfast was the usual HI express buffet and fine. We did have a few problems getting into our room, but the lady on reception ( Sian ? ) could not have been more helpful. The only drawback here is the parking which is a sort of one way system round the ground floor, we got parked ok but if the hotel is busy I could see there would be problems. We would stay here again though because it is good value and cheaper than other franchises in the area, and very easy to get to Alton Towers and other attractions in the area. Would particularly like to thank the staff, well above average.

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 27, 2013

One Night Stay for a friends wedding.

Hotel was pretty spotless though my complimentary coffee tray with cups and spoons was quite dusty with some strands of hair !!

Phone by the bed and electric sockets by the bed....what a luxury. Tv stations were limited though.

Breakfast was okay though quite busy but the staff did a good job to keep their guests happy.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for staying with us and leaving us a review. The Tv channels are something that we are currently looking at to improve the options available I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future

Reviewed May 22, 2013

stayed for one night several times.
room very clean. staff very helpful and cheerful
breakfast under heat lamps ok nothing special but at least there was something to eat before gong to work coffee plentful and very nice

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
CraigPearmain, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Crewe, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013