“ONE NIGHT STAY”

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Crewe
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“ONE NIGHT STAY”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We recently had a one nights stay to attend a friends birthday party. The young girl on reception was extremely accommodating, friendly and helpful & also served us in the bar & couldn't do enough for us. The hotel was spotlessly clean in both the room and public areas. The room itself was adequate for what we needed with en-suite which was beautiful and although at the front of the building it was extremely quiet. The bar area was spotless and toilets really up to date modern & clean. There was a self service coffee machine. Unfortunately I cannot comment on the breakfast as I was a bit worse for wear the next day so didn't make it. There is plenty of parking. I would reccomend this hotel without hesitation and would definitely stay again if I was in the area.

1 Thank AngelaPollard
CraigPearmain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Crewe, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and leaving us a review. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice now and it is fine The hotel fits into the budget bracket but is reasonably well kitted out and well kept. The rooms are clean and the staff friendly. The beds are huge and the room quiet. My only complaint about this chain is the quality of the breakfasts. In ten years of staying in hotels I have never had such consistent low quality - not specific to the Crewe site I should say. If you are travelling by train this hotel is a short walk from the station. Overall I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get one at the back of the building, away from the road
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve_mad
Thank you for staying with us and leaving us a review. The breakfast offering is currently being looked into in the Express brand. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Tiptree Essex
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on 19th -20th April. We had a very comfortable stay. The staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel was spotlessly clean in both the room and public areas. The room itself provided everything we needed and the ensuite was beautiful. the only downside for me that there was only a shower and I like a bath but thats just a personal preference. The complimentary breakfast was great on the first morning. On the second morning the coffee machine malfunctioned. You could get a basic cup of coffee but not latte or expresso. There was also no bacon. I did tell a member of staff and she obviously wentto get some. However I think they had run out as just more sausages appeared. Thats just a minor quible there was plenty of choice of cereals fruit and yoghurt available. I would reccomend this hotel without hesitation.

Room Tip: We requested a quiet room and it really was what we got. We both slept really well without any distu...
1 Thank FoxyladyTiptreeEssex
Thank you for staying with us and leaving us a review. The coffee machine did have an issue but this as fixed the following day, In regards to bacon this is optional for the hotel and is subject to availabilty. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2013

One of the reasons this type of hotel is successful is that when you book it, you pretty well know, in advance, exactly what you are going to find on arrival. I use HI Express quite a lot on business and the majority are fine. This one was OK, but no more than that.

This is not the average new build standard HIE layout. It looks like it has at one time been a different older hotel and has been converted to an HI Express.

The reception, indeed the whole hotel seemed to be manned by just two youngsters. The room was not small but it felt a bit cell-like, having only one small window in the rear alcove. There was an incomplete set of tea making items, an empty tissue box and the TV worked, but only a few odd channels were available. The shower cubicle was large, which was useful as you had to move around to get wet from the feeble shower spray.

There was car parking but quite a limited number of spaces.

In the bar area had a small restaurant but the menu was extremely limited. Being in a commercial area I used it, as the eating place next door was a MacDonald’s, so other than that is was a drive into town.

The food was cheap but just about adequate and quantities were small. Breakfast was at least hot (well warm really) but again pre-cooked and left in a cabinet to dry out quite a bit. I left the sausages alone, I’ve seen fewer wrinkles on a ancient Tibetan monks face

At £91 per night I think you should expect better. To be fair, that did include breakfast and a £15 allowance towards dinner. It also included parking but so it should be at that price.

The hotel is within a couple of minutes walking distance of the main station so that was a benefit.

A notice above reception proclaimed that the hotel was licenced by one company, owned by a second company and managed by a third company.

It showed !!

Room Tip: Rear facing rooms look out over bowling green so probably quieter that the front
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Paul W
CraigPearmain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Crewe, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and leaving us a review. I'm glad to read that your booking process was as quick and easy as other IHG hotels you have booked at. The hotel is a old conversion. I sorry to read that there was some issues with the room supplies, these have been addressed with the Housekeeping Team to ensure that it does not happen again. Breakfast is currently being owrked on to see how we can improve the offereings we have and your feedback has been noted on this.
Oxfordshire
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed at this budget hotel for one night while visiting the Lyceum Theatre in Crewe. The hotel was easy to find on the way into Crewe from the M6 and there was plenty of parking. Check in was quick and efficient and we were given a room at the back overlooking a bowling green. The room was comfortable and reasonably stylish with a well fitted bathroom with large walk in shower. Breakfast isn't going to win any prizes, the scrambled egg was overcooked and the baked beans only luke warm, however it was nice to have something to eat before setting off and this is where Holiday Inn Express does beat some of the other budget chains who don't offer breakfast. Overall a pleasant overnight stay and I would be happy to use this hotel again if staying in Crewe.

11 Thank HermioneBaglash
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013

When I arrived at the hotel at about 20:15, I had to wait for 5 minutes in Reception for a Receptionist to arrive. Burdened down with suit & luggage, it felt like an hour.

I went up to my room & it was one of the nicest rooms I have stayed in for a hotel of this type. It was only marred by the soap dispenser for the wash basin being jammed.

The floorboards in the corridor creaked noisily.

The hotel parking was excellent; as it meant that the tailgate of your car was under the overhang of the first floor and so was sheltered from any rain

I went in for dinner and when my soup was delivered, the waitress plonked it down & left me with no cutlery. I had to go and forage for cutlery & a napkin. When she brought my main course, I complained about the lack of cutlery and she apologised, saying that she hadn’t noticed that my table didn’t have a tub of cutlery on it. Most didn’t, so that was lax!

I booked a wake-up call for 06:45. It came at 06:58 but fortunately, my own alarm had woken me on time. Other guests would be well advised not to rely on the hotel for a wake up call. In my opinion, the hotel staff & management are overdue for a wake-up call!

As a Priority Club member, I booked an Express Checkout when I checked in and when I closed off my restaurant bill, I was told that the bill would be slid under my door overnight (standard practice). When I got up, no bill. At 8am, I took my bags down to the car & went in to breakfast. There was only one slice of bacon & no member of staff in sight. Just as I finished my breakfast, the bacon was replenished.

I went to Reception to ask for my bill. Reception was not manned, so I went up to my room to wash and collect my coat & briefcase. There was still no bill under the door. When I came down, fortunately, Reception was manned, so I had to ask for my bill. I asked why I had not benefitted from my requested Express Checkout and was told that the hotel was short staffed and the staff were doing their best to cover all bases. I don’t accept that where the evening restaurant staff were concerned, as they were slapdash & careless. Perhaps being short-staffed had worn them down into that state of mind, however?

To sum up, this is a very nice hotel but the shine is taken off by the poor service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
CraigPearmain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Crewe, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and leaving us a review. I'm sorry to hear that the service you recieved was not upto the normal standard we offer. The Express Checkout is offered to all guets and this should have been actioned during the night. The invoices should have also been posted under your door, I apologise on behalf of the hotel that this did not happend during your stay, I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel to restore your faith of the hotel in the future
Manchester
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Ok,booked 3 twin rooms for a party of 5,we were here for a friends engagment, 3 twins not available on arrival. 1 double on 1 floor and 2 twins on another. As a group of 5 women we wanted to at least stay on the same floor, so accepted 3 doubles. As you can see from the photos, we got out of the lift and the mess was a disgrace. It felt like we were in a half finished hotel! Builders stuff everywhere, bin bags, boxes, hoover, plasterboard!!!
2 friends got a lovely room with a balcony, all very nice. The other 2 rooms however, not so great. The t.v. in my room was loosely hanging from the wall. Tiles on the bathroom floor weren't laid flat so ridges hurt your feet plus grouting had already worn away. The bed was very low and at first I thought it was 2 mattress's on top of each other (see photo) but it was an actual base. Room was very dark, as blinds were closed across sky lights in ceiling. I did have a great sleep thought, until 7am Sunday morning the fire alarm went off across the whole hotel because someone had burnt toast in the dining area!
Breakfast: Great you do get hot food but tasteless... did the job though.
We presumed that the place had only just opened as there was still a lot of mess, we commented that if it wasn't finished why was it open, then to be told it had been opened a year!!!
Would I stay here again, probably not, would look for a B&B

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us and leaving us a review. I'm sorry to see that you experienced a problem in the hotel upon arrival. The rooms that were allocated were on the floor that was being refurbished, the rooms on the front of the hotel on the third floor all have balconys. The skyline windows are operated by remote control to open the blinds. I'm sorry that the fire alarm did sound during your stay but this is obviously in place to protect our guest from a fire. I do hope that we can restore your faith in the hotel and welcome you back in the future

Travelers are raving about these Crewe hotels