“Simple Snags and Shrugged Shoulders Stymie Satisfaction”

Holiday Inn Express Crewe
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Crewe
Basingstoke
“Simple Snags and Shrugged Shoulders Stymie Satisfaction”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

While my stay was on the whole acceptable [but not that good value], there were couple of basic points/shortcomings which should have been simple to solve, but at least one was just stymied by shrugged shoulders and so stained the memory of the stay...

Putting aside the creaking flexing corridor [a wake up call in the morning?] and room floors, the sleep quality was OK. While the double room was large and brightly decorated [excepting the black paint the stains from the work chair rubbing against the white wall], the double bed was in fact two single mattresses placed side by side, so you couldn’t comfortably stretch out, a fact no choice of hard/soft pillows could resolve….

However, this visit seems to have fallen foul of the faulty room TV aerial cable[?] system on this occasion getting; “…no/weak channel signal…” all the time while at the hotel… An associate on a visit last year apparently encountered a similar problem, which was only cured by a room change… Yes, a room change was offered [on leaving...!] on the second [Sunday] morning, but on the first [Saturday] morning, when the fault was first reported, the only response were shrugged shoulders and “…we can’t do anything about it…”

The receptionist on the Saturday night valiantly had two attempts trying to fix it, while I was out but couldn’t… However, on returning back from another evening meal in town, they were already off duty, and again it was also far too late to contemplate a change anyway… This person even stated they had had the repairer in some days before and it was all apparently fine then throughout the hotel… All that was wanted [both evenings] was to unwind and get some simple news info – at a late evening time when the hotel bar [and associated public TV] was shut down.

On the first evening arrival was quiet late, and so went almost straight out to eat for a full meal, after a long afternoon travelling, [had you shilly-shallied around snagging many restaurants easily could have been closed…]. Only on returning, even later, and settling down for bed was the TV discovered not to be working… NB You shouldn’t have to check/test every simple piece of equipment in a supposed higher quality hotel room is functioning/present and correct, every time you walk through the door of a bedroom for the first time/each night should you?

On the Sunday morning the baked beans were entirely absent from the hot food breakfast display [had the hotel perhaps run out?]? In [their?] place, there were two trays of hot bacon rashers just taking up space and so likely going to waste… A lot more time could have been spent [and likely wasted] trying to sort out one or both of these issues, but if either one couldn’t have been resolved in a timely fashion then it would have been a pointless effort…

NB The “management” [whomever they are], have yet to contact me about this sub-standard stay…

Room Tip: Check the TV in the room is working when you arrive at this hotel…plus get a room without a creaking...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
CraigPearmain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Crewe, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and leaving us a review. Im sorry to hear that you experienced some issues with the TV, this issue has now been addressed and the TV's are back up to the normal standard. Im also dissapointed to read that your breakfast experience was not to the normal standard, This was due to the hotel not receiving a full order and leaving the hotel short. We have spoken to the suppliers about the importance of getting a full order to meet the demand of the hotel and its guest. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
bucks
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This is my second stay at the HI in Crewe it is a clean and modern hotel rooms a good size and Staff friendly and efficient the breakfast is included in the price and is a buffet eat all you can i wont hesitate to stay there again and i reccomend it to everybody

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank chris13Bucks
Thank you for staying with us and leaving us a review. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great value for money and very close to the station (3 minute walk). The room was compact and clean and had all the requirements, great for an overnight stay, wouldn't have wanted to stay any longer due to the lack of atmosphere.  The restaurant felt like it was in a corridor, bar was very basic and lounge was squeezed in to the restaurant corridor! The staff were very friendly, but I felt like I was being interviewed for my room on arrival - was this the first time in Crewe, what was I doing here, who did I work for! After all these questions I thought there might have been a reason, no - just questions.  I had to eat out due to the basis selection of food, restaurants are located ten minute walkaway  or a short taxi ride.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and leaving us a review. Im sorry to hear that the hotel menu was not upto the normal standard that you would expect, this is a limited menu that we use in the hotel. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Was very impressed during my overnight stay. Extremely friendly and helpful staff. Very clean and comfortable room with giant shower. Great breakfast and central location for university/town centre of Crewe. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Lovely bedroom and small shower room. Well decorated, well lit and clean but poor internet connection. Food in the restaurant in the evening was very average but I wasn't expecting a culinary feast. Brekfast better. Overall, a very pleasent evening.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and I got one.
1 Thank astonflyer
CraigPearmain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Crewe, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and leaving us a review.its disappointing to hear that our Internet connection was not up to the usual standard that it is, I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed here overnight with my friend as we were visiting her son who is at the university campus. It was excellent. Very clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. Its close to the railway station and also we had a room with a nice view of the bowling green behind. The buffet breakfast was also very nice. For a budget hotel we could not have asked for better.The reviews I read previously were mixed and I am glad I did not let them put me off.I will definitely stay in a Holiday Inn chain hotel again, if this is their standard.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I booked the Holiday Inn as I knew exactly what to expect from this chain and they delivered exactly that. Should one need a plusher fussier hotel than there are other options in Crewe. Suffice to say that it was exactly what I ordered, expected and paid for.
Internet connection was strong. (and in each room)
Breakfast adequate,