“Poor Duty Manager!”

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Crewe
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Poor Duty Manager!”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night only - a friday night in October 2012.
The room was ok although the air con system did not function at all.
The bar had no Vodka on a friday evening and after asking to speak to the Duty Manager, he eventually came over to us and sat with his hands in his pockets with a completely dis-interested expression and manner. We asked him to explain how could a hotel run out of the most commonly used spirit. He informed us that his order had not been delivered. We asked him why he had not taken it upon himself to buy one at a local supermarket or off licence. He told us that he was not allowed to use petty cash for that purpose, which surprised us as surely customers are supposed to come first.
We asked for and was given the name of his superior so we could contact that person direct about our experience, which we have done and received a most sincere apology from IHG.
It seems increasingly difficult to find good service in the UK and there needs to be some training required at this establishment along with some maintenance work on those rooms that have air con systems that are not working as we were informed that our room wasn't the only one with that problem.
It was a very noisy hotel throughout the night so a decent nights sleep was certainly not had!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CraigPearmain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Crewe, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and leaving us a review. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused during your stay, The Air conditioing has been an issue in the hotel, we are hopefully at the bottom of this and there should be no more issues. I have taken note of your comments and this will certainly be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed here as a stop gap on our way back from scotland, very nice and modern hotel. We did go into crewe for a drink to watch the football and it was a bit rough, we found a nice indian restaurant which was to die for. I would definatly recommend the hotel but be cautious on where you go in the evening.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for you review of the Holiday Inn Express Crewe. I'm glad that your stay with us was a great one and hope to welcome you back in the future
Fife
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel last week and I was treated like a lord, the staff were so helpful the hotel was spotless the evening menu is limited but fine. The hotel is just a 5 minute walk from the station. I bet anyone staying there will agree it is the best Holiday Inn Express that they have stayed at.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms offer a balcony those without a balcony overlook a bowling green
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
CraigPearmain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Crewe, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Nottingham
Reviewed October 25, 2012

After trying to find a parking space at this Hotel - 8 places were taken up by Vans from the Enterprise Car Rental location from next door, I eventually managed to check in. Staff understood the issue and suggested I try to park again in 45 minutes ! My room was good but it only had sky lights so not a place for a few days . Room was clean but other areas looked tired. Breakfast was good and the young staff were helpful.

Room Tip: Dont have a room on the front of the hotel as there is a 24hr McDs infront of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and leaving us a review. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused by Enterprise this issue has been addressed with them. There is only 4 rooms with the velux windows in the roof all other rooms have normal windows. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The Holiday Inn Express Crewe is a five minute walk from the railway station just off Macon Way adjacent to a 24 hour McDonalds, it is about a 15-20 walk into the town centre. The hotel is very striking with it’s Art Deco theme and inside the reception and bar area are quite pleasant and thoughtfully decorated. Check in was very good and all of the hotel facilities were pointed out and I was in my room minutes later.

The room was quite spacious and again nicely decorated and felt more Holiday Inn than Express. There was a lot of storage space, a good bed, tea/coffee facilities and the TV had a large selection of channels. One niggle is that my room was outwardly facing and there was a lot of noise all through the night, this however was no fault of the hotel.

The bathroom was nicely laid out with a powerful shower but only one of the two wall dispensers had any soap in it.

Breakfast was excellent and there were hot items of bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs and beans also juice and coffee machines, croissants, tinned fruit, yogurts, cereals and a toaster. I thought it was a good breakfast selection.

I would eagerly stay again in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My disabled wife, my adult daughter and I stayed in two rooms on 14th Sept 2012.
The rooms were of better standard than most however the creaky floorboards in this relatively new building did disturb our sleep. My card key did fail to work once, The beds were comfortable and room clean.
There is lift access to all floors, but no wheelchair access at the front so you will be expected to climb several large steps unless you use the rear entrance.
Free parking at side and rear.
Bar very poorly stocked. As for food, I heard others complain of cold food in the evening and my so-called cooked breakfast in the morning was overdone and stone cold as expected.
My advice is to save your money and have breakfast in the 24 hour MacDonalds directly outside the front door of the Hotel, also there are many restaurants within easy reach from the Hotel, we had an evening meal at Frankie and Benny;s only a 10 minute walk away. I would also suggest asking for a room at the back of the Hotel because of the 24 hour nature of the MacDonalds, I did and there was no outside noise.
The very few staff on duty were very polite and helpful however very undermanned, e.g. The receptionist also had to double up at serving at the bar and waiting at table which caused customers awaiting service at all three positions having to wait for some time. I will say however, she is worth every penny the Holiday inn pays her which I expect wont be much.
Finally I would recommend a stay here but only for one night which I suppose is the reason it is called an express...

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back because of the 24 hour MacDonalds directly outside the front entrance.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and leaving us a review. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused from the noise of the floorboards, While the hotel has been refurbished it is a conversion of a older building. I have taken note of your comments and this will certainly be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here with my husband in April, 2012. It is definitely the nicest hotel in the area. We had family staying at The Crewe Arms and they said it was a dump. Plus it wasn't much cheaper than the HIE. The room was large, but I must say the floorboards were pretty creaky. One other annoying this is the doors are self closing and I think every guest let their door slam. It didn't help when a husband and wife got in a fight in the middle of the night and slammed doors for a couple of hours.

The staff were extra friendly. The free breakfast was very good and the area where the buffet is is very clean. The hotel was walking distance to the centre of town.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
CraigPearmain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Crewe, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and leaving us a review. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused from other guests. I have taken note of your comments and this will certainly be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crewe
Best Western Crewe Arms Hotel
The Waverley Hotel
The Waverley Hotel
#8 of 9 in Crewe
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa

Been to Holiday Inn Express Crewe? Share your experiences!