“Great food”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Crewe
Chester, United Kingdom
“Great food”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Have been into the hunters lodge a few times now for lunchtime meals, and have to say on every occasion it has been a most pleasant one.
It was so nice to have a warm greeting and friendly chat with the members of staff - something which you don't see in many places nowadays.
As for the food and drink - excellent, lovely baguettes and home made chips.
I'm eager to return again soon to try other food from the menu.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We recently stayed at the Hunters Lodge as we was attending a birthday party at the venue so thought it would be the better place to stay.
We arrived at the lodge having booked it direct with the lodge and given them card details to secure the booking the receptionist asked us for our name and then promptly said that we had to pay for the room there and then which I was a little taken back by. So we paid for the room was given a card and told the room was in the first building on the ground floor. This was the only real conversation we got which to be honest wasn't the best.
So my wife went to get the luggage as I am disabled and we went to find this room, we entered the building and went down what can only be described as a very narrow dismal corridor full of doors. We entered the room which was surprisingly large with a in my option a small double bed in it (there was plenty f room for a king size which is what I thought it stated on booking as we had paid extra for a superior room). The room was clean and tidy but very cold as the radiator was on low and as it was snowing and cold outside you would have thought it would have been nice to enter a warm room. The bathroom was ok but was freezing cold as the only heater was the towel rail that only came on when your card was in the electricity slot.
As we was early and hungry we decided to go to the bar to have a snack and a drink, we entered the bar and asked if they was serving food and was told they didn't start till 6pm and t was only 5.40pm but the server said that as the chefs was already in he would see what he could do. So we ordered two omelettes and chips which came shortly after ordering and was of a good size, taste and quality.
The next morning we came down to breakfast and walked in to the dining room and was shown to a table and asked what hot drink we would like and then told to help ourselves to what was only cereals and fruit juices. The waitress eventually came back bearing in mind there was only two other tables with other guests at them. She asked what hot food we would like so we ordered and hen some toast and coffee appeared, after a considerable wait our breakfast appeared which the bacon on it looked liked and tasted like it had been cooked time before and then re-heated so we ate this. So all in all for the money we paid for breakfast all we both had was coffee, toast and a cooked breakfast as there was no other items like fruit, yoghurts, pastries or similar which was a little disappointing really.
So we checked out and paid for our dinner the previous night on a card again so two transactions which could have easily been one which to me was not good , but for them two lots of transaction charges. So all in all was a ok stay but the bed and breakfast let the stay down.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is attached to the main building so you don't have to walk to your room in t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
wolverhampton
Reviewed January 6, 2013

attended the new years eve celebrations for the third year running and yet again what an excellent evening with good food excellent staff and a totally relaxed atmosphere. room was adequate but not top notch.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hunters Lodge during my business trip from Canada. I can honestly say, that out of my two week trip, the Hunters Lodge was the untidiest, most disgusting place I stayed in. My room had mould around the tub and shower, the room stank like a smokers market, the food was horrific, and the staff were kids from Eastern Europe that had no ability, and could hardly speak English. Horrible place. Stay well clear of it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Andrew P, Owner at The Hunters Lodge, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review, I would however like to address some of the points you have raised.

If I am honest, I am not sure from your descriptions that you have submitted your review to the correct hotel, one reason being that as all our front of house staff are native English speakers your comment "and the staff were kids from Eastern Europe that had no ability, and could hardly speak English" has me completely baffled? We do not currently employ any Eastern European staff!

Our kitchen and housekeeping teams take pride in their high standards, as can be seen from the many previous reviews.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your booking in further detail, if you would like to conact me directly with your reservation number at info@hunterslodge.co.uk
Stockton on Tees
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Was needing to be in the north west close to the M6 so booked. Easy to find hotel area in separate
Building behind bar and restaurant. Rooms are large, clean and tidy, good bathroom and also free wifi which is very important.

Ate in the bar and a very nice ribeye steak and a Guinness, staff were friendly and helpful.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We visited here for a family lunch. The sunday lunch menu is good value, £16.95 for 3 courses with coffee and mints. The food is very nice, good selection, vegetables are served separately so you can choose which to have. The only downside was very slow service. Long intervals between courses and even being shown to the table was a bit of a wait. There isn't much atmosphere and the lighting is quite bright. If you want a good value sunday lunch then it's worth it, but not if you're short of time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed for one night, booked at short notice. I booked a single room and the only disappointment was that it had a shower and not a bath; I did not think to ask, I was looking forward to a relaxing bath. The room was spotless. All of the staff were very friendly; housekeeping, reception and restaurant staff. The breakfast was superb with choice of poached haddock, smoked salmon, full break-fast or just beans on toast. I had the full break-fast and the scrambled egg was just right!
I also ate a bar meak in the evening; again the staff were friendly and the food was excellent.

Room Tip: Sydney road is very long so do not worry if you can not find the hotel immediately. I enjoyed my gr...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crewe
Crewe Hall
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Chimney House Hotel
Chimney House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Sandbach

Been to The Hunters Lodge? Share your experiences!