“food is great”

Cuisines: Chinese, Steakhouse
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I have eaten here on a number of occasions, including my 50th lunch and used the takeaway, the food is always very good, and the staff always very accommodating. The only piece of advice I would have is that the restaurant is like eating in a front room and probably needs a bit of authentic decor just to add to the ambience. Everyone I know who has used it loves the food and say the same things, its is a shame that it will never really attract a drive by crowd as it is on a very rural road. So word of mouth and TR will help to spread the word.

2  Thank iantoes

Reviewed September 8, 2012

My partner and I came here for tea after hearing it was good from some of our friends following a recent change in ownership - we weren't disappointed. We were seated quickly and easily in the club's dinning room, where the waiter took our drinks order. We were offered a choice of menu, either Chinese food or the choices from the hot rock grill. We went for the 3 course hot rock menu, which was just under £18 per person. They do offer a 2 course option for £15, but I've never been able to say no to a pudding! ;-) I believe they are currently offering 25% off the steak menu on a Monday night, we went on a Sunday though.

I had smoked salmon for starters, whilst my partner had king prawns in breadcrumbs, both were delicious.

For our main meals we both went for the 10oz rump steak, which you cook at your table on a piece of hot rock. It's sounds odd, but it was bar far the nicest steak I've ever had. Because of the way you cook it, you can ensure that you get your steak cooked exactly how you like it, with minimal effort. Plus there is no need to use oil, so it's probably a lot better for you. (I should note that pescetarians can choose a tuna loin option on the grill, without having to worry that it will be cooked in the same place as the meat, as you get your own individual rock slab.) With the steak you get a servings of chips, along with gravy, onions and mushrooms to enhance your steak.

For pudding we both had a warm chocolate fudge cake with ice cream, which was just to die for. It was very moist and very gooey - just up my street!

As for the service, you couldn't fault the staff. Our food was served very quickly and if you needed anything extra there was always someone on hand to ask. The manager, Alan, also popped by to check that everything was ok with our meals.

I should mention that the Empire Club House does have a members only bar, however you can dine here without having a membership. The drinks are very reasonably priced because of this.

Overall it was a great dining experience and I really enjoyed the novelty of the hot rock grill. We will definitely be back for more!

6  Thank AlisTravels