“Very comfortable, modern rooms in an historical building”
Review of Crewe Hall

Crewe Hall
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Crewe
Colchester
“Very comfortable, modern rooms in an historical building”
Reviewed November 30, 2010

Stayed for a conference with a large number of delegates. Staff were very well organized, helpful and friendly. Room in the new extension was very comfortable. There was a superb selection of buffet food for breakfast and lunch. Dinner provided for the conference delegates was also high quality. Watch out if you have a nut allergy though, they didn't ask and the menu did not give any clues about nut content.
The entrance to the old building is splendid, with an open fire and a Jacobean chapel. Meeting rooms are of mixed size and some are ornately decorated.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
kwenya, General Manager at Crewe Hall, responded to this review, December 7, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your opinion via Trip Advisor. Your kind comments on the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff are really valuable as some of them read the reviews on Trip Advisor themselves. Those that do not we will ensure we pass on your compliments. Food is important at Cewe Hall and your positive feed back in this area is motivational to the chefs and helps confirm the efforts they make are worth while. We do ask the conference organisers to provide any special dietary requirements in advance of the meeting however I will ensure that a notice regarding nut allergies is placed at the bottom of all conference menus.
The Hall is very historical and the decoration of the rooms has to be seen to be believed and I thank you for mentioning this. I hope that you may consider returning as a leisure guest and taking advanyage of our spa and leisure facilities.

Ian Pollock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Polish first
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2010

Stayed at Crewe Hall for a spa break, booked direct with hotel. Promised slippers and bathrobes in room if we booked a 'feature room' in the main hall. None in room and it turns out they are just handed out in the spa anyway. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are in the Brasserie NOT the hotels main restaurant. Very disappointed in this, expected dinner to be in the hotels main restaurant. Not made clear on booking. When ordered food in brasserie for lunch they got the whole order wrong and it took 2 hours to have lunch due to poor service, incorrect orders etc they actually served me a food that would be dangerous for me to eat, i had specifically requested that this was removed from the dish and there were only 5 tables in the place. I'm not generally a fussy person but this irritated me. Spa is lovely and staff excellent, pool area is very good too. Drinks ridiculous prices.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
kwenya, General Manager at Crewe Hall, responded to this review, November 24, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor. The Brasserie is the main restaurant in the hotel and I am sorry if any advertising lead you to believe other wise. The Ranulph restauarnt is our fine dinning restaurant and only seats 32 people, it is very popular but is sold separately and a supplement applies to any guest on an inclusive package who wish to dine there. The service you received in the Brasserie is not acceptable and not to our usual standard and I will investigate this further. I am pleased that you enjoyed your spa experience and I will pass on your comments to the spa staff.

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2010

Just back from Crewe Hall on a spa overnight break with 2 friends and had a fabulous time. Everyone we spoke to treated us with respect and a smile. We were a bit worried because a previous review said that the staff were not very good but we found them extremely professional, The location is splendid and the original part of the hall is really "olde world" we fell in love with the little chapel !!! Our room was very spacious and comfortable. The staff in the spa were very helpful and cheerful and special thanks to Jen who did the spa treatments........blisssssss. The food was of a high standard, very well cooked and presented beautifully. My friend mentioned it was my birthday present and my pudding was presented with what seemed like a Roman Candle in it very sparkly so we felt they went the extra mile...... The spa break was bought as a birthday present and was very good value for money,if you broke down everything it included the value was great.
We would definitely visit again .

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Explorer56
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments and I am very pleased you and your friends enjoyed your spa break with us. I am particularly pleased that the previous review you mention did not put you off your visit. Thank you for your kind comments on the staff, food and service you received whilst staying with us and your kind comments are really appreciated. Our staff are important to us and we invest in their training and development and the majority are very proud to work at Crewe Hall.
I hope your will repeat your experience and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2010

We visit family in Crewe about 8 times a year and have passed the impressive entrance driveway to Crewe Hall on many occasions always thinking it would be far too expensive for our regular visits however on checking the web site I discovered a reasonable B&B rate for advanced bookings so decided to give it a try. It is certainly lovely approach with a magnificent entrance. All staff throughout our stay including cleaners and maintenance staff were very friendly. Our bedroom was in the new section and was very spacious. It did have a small stain on the carpet and scuff mark on the wall and the shower screen leaked water onto the bathroom floor however this was only minor and I reported it on the maintenance card in our room. Overall the room was very good with a comfortable bed and very quiet.

The swimming pool, spa and sauna were fantastic and very well maintained. Breakfast was also excellent with a great choice and plenty of it. We did have an evening meal in the brasserie which was very good however did feel there was an opening for a lighter choice / supper menu should a full restaurant meal not be required.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and shall certainly be returning again. We have joined the Breakaway Club which has a great Sunday deal of £45 per room. I would recommend this to my friends with no hesitation.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

I am very pleased tjhat you took the opportunity to stay with us. It is true that the grandeur of the drive and entrance can be intimidating and they do convey the impression of exclusivity which generally carries an expensive ticket price. However as you have experienced we do offer good value and it is in the reach of many people. Your kind comments on the staff are appreciated as they are the people who make the hotel what it is.
I am really glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Crewe.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2010

Hands down the worst hotel staff I have ever encountered. Very patronising and moody, making you feel like they are doing you a favour, and that they have more important things to do.

The building itself is beautiful and facilities are good, but can't stress enough how inflexible and frustrating the staff are!

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank lewis111
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your appreciation of the appearance and structure of the hotel. However your comments on the staff are concerning and I need to be able to investigate this further. It would be useful for me to have some names so that I can follow up your comments. Could I ask that you contact me at the hotel so that I can look further into the issues that you raise as this is important for us.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2010

It's a magnificent building and worth paying a bit extra to stay in the old part of the hall (feature rooms). Reception staff were friendly and welcoming and room on arrival was spotlessly clean and comfortable. Within a few minutes of settling into our room the promised champagne and chocolates arrived via a very friendly room service waiter who we saw a little later when he delivered some lunch. The food arrived speedily and was very tasty but was initially missing one of the items ordered; this was rectified quickly after one phone call.
We had been asked to book a table at the Brasserie, as we were on the Romantic DB&B deal, unfortunately there was little choice of seating times left so we had a 9.15 booking. On arriving at the Brasserie at 9.05 we were disappointed at how noisy and crowded it was - not the romantic atmosphere we had hoped for. We were asked to sit in the bar area and promised menus however when these had still not arrived after 15 minutes we had to ask another member of staff for them. We were concerned that no food order had been taken by just before 9.30 as we understood that last food orders would be at this time. We again had to seek out staff to take our orders, and we were eventually seated at our table at 9.45. Waiting staff were pleasant enough and the food came swiftly, however we were both disappointed in the quality of all 3 courses. When leaving the restaurant we enquired if there was another restaurant that we could book for the next night and were told about the Ranulph which we could book as part of the romantic break offer if we paid an additonal £17 each for the Fine Dining set menu (£42).
What a difference! Very romantic and made us feel very special. The staff could not do enough for us, very attentive and friendly. Aperitifs and canapes in the spectacular lounge, classical music playing whilst we sat in the comfy chairs perusing the menu, were followed by a candle lit table in the cosy restaurant. In addition to the 3 courses ordered we were brought an appetiser to start and a pre-dessert. All the food was delicious and presented beautifully. Coffee and petit-fours were served back in the lounge where we were encouraged to relax and stay as long as we wished. What a pity we were not offered this opportunity the first night of our stay, we would have been happy to pay the extra for the romantic experience. Unfortunately the next night being a Sunday the Ranulph was closed and rather than now pay for the Brasserie (as our last night was just for B&B) we chose to go out to a local pub to eat.
The only other problem we had was that our room was on the route from the old hall to the new building thus at 1am we were kept awake by very drunk wedding guests returning to their rooms and not caring if they woke the whole corridor up as they did so. This was particularly a problem on the Friday night and to some extent also on Saturday.
However it will not put us off returning but it will be on days the Ranulph is open and we would consider requesting a quieter room if possible.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
kwenya, General Manager at Crewe Hall, responded to this review, November 16, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to convey your kind comments after your recent stay with us. It is particularly pleasing that you enjopyed the Old Hall and that you noticed the cleanliness in this very demanding area of the building. I will ensure that I pass on your compliments to our housekeeper.
Food is an important part of the experience of Crewe Hall and I am pleased that your room service was both speedy and tasty.Your comments on the Brasserie are a cause for concern and I will look into this with the restarant manager. It is a very popular restaurant and can be busy at weekends. As such if you are looking for a romantic meal the Ranulph is by far the better choice. Quieter, more refined and with an excellent choice and standard of food you will struggle to find better in the area.The Ranulph is certainly worth experiencing and from next year will open Wednesdaty through Sunday. As this is more what you were looking for next time why not consider a fine dinning break advertised on our web site. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon.

London
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Stayed overnight for a conference. The staff at every level went out of their way to be helpful. Small things added to the satisfaction such as the fact that when I asked a member of staff where my room was he insisted on taking me there. He seemed proud of the hotel and genuinely pleased that we liked it too. My room (and everywhere else I went) was spotlessly clean. Nick, the brasserie manager, was extremely helpful in arranging sandwiches for our train trip home. These are just examples but at no point in my stay did the hotel disappoint in any way. I hope to return with my husband for a leisure break. Fellow delegates said the pool was the best hotel one they had used - so a stay with more time to sample the spa would be lovely. I was lucky enough to have a room in the old part of the hotel - delightful!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

It is pleasing to read such warm comments on your experience whilst staying with us at Crewe Hall. Our staff are proud to work in such a fantastic building and historical environment. It is also very good if this comes accross to our guests. Thank you for your comments on the cleanliness of the hotel as this is a very important area for all hotels and it is appreciated that you noticed the effort in this area.
I do hope your conference went well and that you will be successful in convincing your husband to join you on a return visit. If you do, read one or two of the other comments and book a night where you have dinner in the Ranulph restaurant, you will enjoy it. I hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Ian Pollock
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crewe
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Wychwood Park Hotel
Wychwood Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Weston

Been to Crewe Hall? Share your experiences!