“in contrast we couldn't fault the service the standard was excellent”
Review of Crewe Hall

Crewe Hall
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Crewe
uk
“in contrast we couldn't fault the service the standard was excellent”
Reviewed May 4, 2009

We had a fantastic time at Crewe hall,and in contrast to the previous reviews found the service spot on!
We where on a 2 day spa package, the spa treatments where lovely. All the spa staff where friendly and enthusiastic about the hotel and it's amenities.
Food was excellent and the bar and restaurant staff very accomodating. I queried the price of drinks in the late bar to be given an alternative for half the price.
We arrived early and although waited a while for one of the rooms the other was ready and was made available to us straight away.
We all agreed that we would definitely return in the future.

Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Polish first
cheshire
Reviewed April 19, 2009

My stay was in compensation for a very bad stay that my parents had 2 weeks before hand. Because of this we thought that this visit would be perfect & I was so hoping to book my wedding here because I thought the setting & building itself was beautifull, after hearing the bad report from my parents I wanted to judge for myself as they were very disapointed with their stay.
On arrival at 2pm as that was the arranged booking in time we were informed that our room wasn't ready & told if we'd like to go for a coffee they would bring our keys to us in a few minutes, we went for a coffee & waited & waited for our keys, after 3qtrs of an hour I asked the bar staff to contact reception & find out if our room was ready, we were informed that someone was on the was with the keys, another 15 minutes passed & no sign of our keys so I ordered 2 more coffees & we continued to wait & wait & wait to be taken to our room, exactly 1hr & 45 minutes later a member of staff arrived with our key & showed us to our room, when we asked why there had been nearly a 2hr delay with our room we were informed that it wasn't ready due to having a football team in residence who requested a late booking out time, I'm sorry that is not my problem & my room as ordered should have been ready for 2pm, not 3.45pm.
On the whole the room was very nice but dissapointing because we were in the new hotel which was just like being in any airport hotel, we would have loved to be in the old building, after all that's what Crewe Hall is all about. As i say the room was very nice although the water escaped through the shower door, there was an old Rennie & clothes tags on the chair when we entered the room & we were able to engrave our names in the dirt on the room mirror.
We started by making a coffee in the room but the milk provided was sour & curdled so we had to request & wait for more.
After this we decided to go & use the spa, getting ready only to find there was only 1 dressing gown in our room so when we arrived at the spa we explained we onl had 1 gown between us & could we have another but were told that policy was only 1 gown per room & we were not offered another 1, not even for the time we were in the spa.
We later went out for the evening as planned & returned to go to bed, only to hear once the TV was turned off the most annoying & loud noise, it sounded like an engine running in our room, we switched off lights, fridge & air conditioning thinking that it was them but it still continued, we tried to ignore the noise but it was impossible so we rang reception & asked them what it was, the night manager said he didn't know but said he'd come & check it out, on arrival to our room he was shocked at the loudness of the noise & informed us that it was from the boiler room which was situated in the room next to our room!!!!
Why on earth would anyone be put in this room I do not know.. he offered to move us to another room down the bottom of the corridoor by which time we'd had enough & said if we have to dress & move our belongings to another room we may as well just get up & go home as our stay from star to finish was a disaster, so we did, we checked out at 1.30am, upset & apauled by it all, needless to say I will NOT be booking my wedding at Crewe Hall & wouldn't reccomend a stay there to my worst enemy let alone friends or family!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank jillster35
stokeish
Reviewed April 18, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for new years eve 2008, we didn't join in the festivities there (although they looked great) we wanted to stay some-where special for the night.

The main building is spectacular very gothic and imposing, our room was nice and comfortable but nothing amazing for the £200 we paid for one night.

The main problem with this hotel is that because the building is so impressive you expect everything else to be of such a high standard which is not always the case. The reception staff were professional but did not give us any information about facilities in the hotel or breakfast times. We had booked afternoon tea but when we arrived in the room there was no-one to greet us, there were several tables set up so we didn't want to sit with-out being advised where. We waited about 15 minutes when eventually a waiter came. His service was very slow and he kept forgetting things!

Breakfast was good and in the new added bit of the building, the spa is in the new part to but was so far away we gave up looking for it.

Like I said before there was nothing to really complain about in our stay just the little details were missing, the fires weren't lit in the lounge, so everyone was complaining it was cold, champagne glasses all over the terrace in the morning ...

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Staffordshire, England
Reviewed March 28, 2009

I stayed here with my partner in mid March and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The double room and bathroom were very clean and had trendy and up to date furnishings. I booked the room thru Q hotels website at a great price and found it value for money. Crewe Hall is a fabulous gothic building and the drive way up to the Hall adds to the splendour. The breakfast option was worth the extra money as it was self service, there were a variety of cereals, fruits and cooked options which used good quality meats. Overall very pleased!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Shrewsbury
Reviewed March 26, 2009

My husband took me for a 1-night stay at this hotel to propose to me. Upon arrival, the hotel itself is beautiful outside, with lovely scenery. We were shown to our room - we booked the Royal Suite in the old part of the hotel - and were not disappointed. The room was lovely, with a periodic gothic theme which, in my opinion, suited the theme of the hotel. The bed was a king-sized 4 poster with heavy curtains. The suite was huge with classic wallpaper and oil paintings which I found complimented the hotel. The heating was on and the room stayed warm all night. My husband had arranged for champagne to be ready when we arrived, however there was an ice-bucket but no champagne. When we called reception, they were very apologetic and sent us a bottle immediately. Before dinner, we were shown to a large lounge near reception to wait for our table and given complimentary canapes, there was also waiter service in this room. We ate in the restaurant, the a la carte food was both interesting ad delicious; if a little expensive; and after my hubby proposed we were given complimentary champagne. We then had a drink in the modern part of the hotel and visited the revolving bar, which was interesting and once again the staff were friendly and the bar quite reasonably priced. The next day we found we had forgotten to take toothpaste with us and, although there was none available in the hotel, the staff went out and bought some for us! We also took a walk around the grounds and were delighted with how beautifully kept it is. To sum up, the hotel was wonderful if a little expensive, and the staff couldn't do enough for us

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed March 17, 2009

I went to stay at this hotel on valentines. I gave my credit card information at time of check in. They took a pre-authourisation on my card for £250.00. When I checked out, I paid the full balance due in cash. What they did after that was shocking, not only had they taken the £250.00 off my card as well, when I phoned them to ask why they had done that, they claimed it wasn't them. They said they cancelled the pre-authorisation and didn't take any money (even though it was on my bank statement that they had taken it). I asked them for confirmation off the fax they sent to my bank to cancel the pre-authorisation. When I received this confirmation, I was even more shocked. They had sent me someone esle's credit card details, I had got everything, the 16-digit number, valid from date, expiry date, 3-digit security code, name address etc etc. So they have gave me someone else's details. When I told them they had sent me someone else's details, they didn't seem bothered. Top cut a long story short, in the end they admitted they had taken the money and refunded it back to my card OVER A MONTH LATER. If you want to protect your details, my recommendation is STAY AWAY.

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ASIFManchester
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2009

We booked Crewe Hall as a venue for a family reunion/birthday celebration. We were very happy with the hotel itself; the building is fabulous and the rooms were fine. Much time was spent with the events staff planning a special celebratory meal for our group. The food was good, but unfortunately the service was extremely poor. The hotel manager did not reply to a request to discuss the issues. Good service is just as important as good food. We won't be returning.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crewe
Mottram Hall
De Vere Cranage Estate
Wychwood Park Hotel
Wychwood Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Weston

Been to Crewe Hall? Share your experiences!