“Beautiful building, shame about the service”
Review of Crewe Hall

Crewe Hall
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Crewe
stokeish
“Beautiful building, shame about the service”
Reviewed April 18, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for new years eve 2008, we didn't join in the festivities there (although they looked great) we wanted to stay some-where special for the night.

The main building is spectacular very gothic and imposing, our room was nice and comfortable but nothing amazing for the £200 we paid for one night.

The main problem with this hotel is that because the building is so impressive you expect everything else to be of such a high standard which is not always the case. The reception staff were professional but did not give us any information about facilities in the hotel or breakfast times. We had booked afternoon tea but when we arrived in the room there was no-one to greet us, there were several tables set up so we didn't want to sit with-out being advised where. We waited about 15 minutes when eventually a waiter came. His service was very slow and he kept forgetting things!

Breakfast was good and in the new added bit of the building, the spa is in the new part to but was so far away we gave up looking for it.

Like I said before there was nothing to really complain about in our stay just the little details were missing, the fires weren't lit in the lounge, so everyone was complaining it was cold, champagne glasses all over the terrace in the morning ...

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Polish first
Staffordshire, England
Reviewed March 28, 2009

I stayed here with my partner in mid March and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The double room and bathroom were very clean and had trendy and up to date furnishings. I booked the room thru Q hotels website at a great price and found it value for money. Crewe Hall is a fabulous gothic building and the drive way up to the Hall adds to the splendour. The breakfast option was worth the extra money as it was self service, there were a variety of cereals, fruits and cooked options which used good quality meats. Overall very pleased!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Shrewsbury
Reviewed March 26, 2009

My husband took me for a 1-night stay at this hotel to propose to me. Upon arrival, the hotel itself is beautiful outside, with lovely scenery. We were shown to our room - we booked the Royal Suite in the old part of the hotel - and were not disappointed. The room was lovely, with a periodic gothic theme which, in my opinion, suited the theme of the hotel. The bed was a king-sized 4 poster with heavy curtains. The suite was huge with classic wallpaper and oil paintings which I found complimented the hotel. The heating was on and the room stayed warm all night. My husband had arranged for champagne to be ready when we arrived, however there was an ice-bucket but no champagne. When we called reception, they were very apologetic and sent us a bottle immediately. Before dinner, we were shown to a large lounge near reception to wait for our table and given complimentary canapes, there was also waiter service in this room. We ate in the restaurant, the a la carte food was both interesting ad delicious; if a little expensive; and after my hubby proposed we were given complimentary champagne. We then had a drink in the modern part of the hotel and visited the revolving bar, which was interesting and once again the staff were friendly and the bar quite reasonably priced. The next day we found we had forgotten to take toothpaste with us and, although there was none available in the hotel, the staff went out and bought some for us! We also took a walk around the grounds and were delighted with how beautifully kept it is. To sum up, the hotel was wonderful if a little expensive, and the staff couldn't do enough for us

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed March 17, 2009

I went to stay at this hotel on valentines. I gave my credit card information at time of check in. They took a pre-authourisation on my card for £250.00. When I checked out, I paid the full balance due in cash. What they did after that was shocking, not only had they taken the £250.00 off my card as well, when I phoned them to ask why they had done that, they claimed it wasn't them. They said they cancelled the pre-authorisation and didn't take any money (even though it was on my bank statement that they had taken it). I asked them for confirmation off the fax they sent to my bank to cancel the pre-authorisation. When I received this confirmation, I was even more shocked. They had sent me someone esle's credit card details, I had got everything, the 16-digit number, valid from date, expiry date, 3-digit security code, name address etc etc. So they have gave me someone else's details. When I told them they had sent me someone else's details, they didn't seem bothered. Top cut a long story short, in the end they admitted they had taken the money and refunded it back to my card OVER A MONTH LATER. If you want to protect your details, my recommendation is STAY AWAY.

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ASIFManchester
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2009

We booked Crewe Hall as a venue for a family reunion/birthday celebration. We were very happy with the hotel itself; the building is fabulous and the rooms were fine. Much time was spent with the events staff planning a special celebratory meal for our group. The food was good, but unfortunately the service was extremely poor. The hotel manager did not reply to a request to discuss the issues. Good service is just as important as good food. We won't be returning.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Liverpool
Reviewed February 25, 2009

Looks wonderful as you drive up. Inside for me was very dated (some people like that) and parts were very dark. Hotel staff very friendly and helpful.
In the more modern hotel part was brighter. My room consisted of two singles pushed together. The carpet had seen better days with stains on it, dust around light fittings, chips in the bath. A bit remote for me. Would not stay again but think its more of a wedding venue place. Meals in restaurant very nice.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Staffordshire
Reviewed February 17, 2009

My partner and i stayed at Crewe hall for valentines night this year. We loved it so much we booked the next night aswell!!

To summarise:

Building: Absolutely stunning from outside and in. Infact driving upto the hall is breathtaking. You realy do feel like you are staying in Buckingham Palace!

Staff: I have visited many hotels around the world on business and personal visits, and i must say that crewe hall staff have been the most curtious, and friendly i have ever experienced. Every member of staff went out of their way to ensure we had the best possible time. We felt like the only people in the hotel. Just as an example, we needed a bottle opener one night, and a member of staff spent half an hour searching the whole premesis (which is huge) just to find one as they had run out. When they did, it turned out to be the one which belonged to the bar. However the staff told us simply to keep it as they would go and buy another one!!!

Rooms: We stayed in the new parton the hotel in room 4207. This was a double kingsize deluxe room and was exquisite! Extremely spotless of dirt and dust, beautiful bathroom im marble with huge mirrors, double shower which came in very useful and huge bath. Absolutely excellent!

Food: We ate in the Brasserie on both nites. The food we were served is some of the nicest and best presented food i have ever had! It was absolutely deliteful!! And breakfast was just as fantastic. Everything you could possibly ask for!!!

Facilities: Wonderful pool, great Jacuzi, steam room was fantastic, sauna great and experience shower was superb!!! Provided with towels and dressing gowns, and even the money for the lockers.

Cost: Extremely reasonable. I paid £216 for one night in a double kingsize deluxe room with full three course meal, breakfast, as much mineral water as wanted, wine, and full use of the facilities. Which on valentines night was fantastic. Then when i decided to book again for the next night, they agreed to give us everything again the next night for just £89! so that was all meals and drinks and room again for just £89!

I would strongly reccomend this venue to everybody. It is superb!!! I was actualy happy about handing my money over at the end of the two nites!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Sam0607
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crewe
Mottram Hall
De Vere Cranage Estate
Wychwood Park Hotel
Wychwood Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Weston

Been to Crewe Hall? Share your experiences!