“A lovely day out.”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Crewe
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A lovely day out.”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

On the 30th of march I took my mother to Crewe hall for afternoon tea. As it was mother's day I wanted to treat her so I didn't mind the price too much. Having said that, what we received was brilliant value for money. The hotel was beautiful, out surrounding were fantastic. When we got there we were treated by a rather tall redheaded chap who was ever so nice. His service was impeccable and definitely gave the Ritz a run for its money. The overall service and food was super and very memorable for my mother and I. I would most definitely recommend this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
  • Polish first
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I had always believed afternoon tea to be an occasion of charm, quality and character, served with finesse. My beliefs , therefore, were shaken to the roots by my experience at Crewe Hall on Sunday, 30th March 2014 - a Mother's Day treat, courtesy of my daughter.
The menu promised much: " A Sumptuous Afternoon Tea stand made with care and passion"
I realised, belatedly, that the reference was probably to the cake stand itself ( I am, after all, from the Potteries) as this adjective could in no way be applied to any of its contents.
Our first warning of what lay in store was the table setting of chunky hotel ware-type cups, saucers and side plates which seemed at odds with the grand surroundings. Fine china it was not, but nonetheless I looked forward to a choice of teas and coffee, piping hot, with all the usual frivolities that accompany it - timers, tea-strainers etc. Instead our were offered simply tea or coffee(no choice here!) from insulated jugs of the type more at home at a conference where self-service is the norm. These were brought to the table courtesy of our waiter and waitress who trailed them, almost gibbon-like with arms by their sides. Perhaps they were tired? It was not attractive.
I had the temerity to ask for a teapot: my outrageous request was met with a bewildered expression: "No, I will pour it for you". The tea itself was not quite hot and rather stewed. My daughter and I battled on....
The sumptuous tea duly arrived - at this point we had been sitting at the table for almost thirty minutes.
Bottom tier: An assortment of finger sandwiches, acceptable but nothing to get excited about.
Middle tier: Two types of scone. Now these were interesting, almost approaching the tableware in their semi-industrial sturdiness and mass. They were accompanied by clotted cream, dolloped out with an ice cream scoop (that was a novelty) and a large ramekin of "homemade conserve", a smooth, scarlet, saucy concoction of undetectable provenance. I found them inedible.
It was at this point I noticed a waiter approaching another table with two cups, sniffing one as he went... tea? coffee? who knows? I only hope he sorted it out.
I think that by now we had largely lost interest in the top tier of cakes which did not look particularly appetising in any case. We opted to take home what remained of our feast and were duly presented with two empty cake boxes so that we could pack them up ourselves.....
Highlight of the afternoon? The miniature rose bush gift and the harpist playing a few feet away.
Interestingly, we noticed that in the downstairs lounge some lucky guests had been partaking of drinks from a real live teapot and cafetiere: strange when the people upstairs who had paid for Afternoon Tea had been denied such luxury. I was actually glad to leave.
I notice that a previous review rated Afternoon Tea at Crewe Hall very highly. So what was the excuse today? Trying to cope with too many guests at once? No excuse - if you can't do it properly, Crewe Hall, then don't do it at all.
All in all the whole experience was fabulously mediocre. We shall not be returning.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank coffee-hopper
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Afternoon tea at crewe hall seemed like the perfect idea for Mother's Day. Having had afternoon tea in London previously I was looking forward to another as a special treat. We were greeted well however soon we were to be disappointed. It took half an hour for the tea stand to arrive. Instead of the 'timed tea' and selection of loose leaf teas advertised on the website we were met with a waitress brandishing two insulated serving flasks one for tea one for coffee, they wouldn't have looked out of place at a conference. Not for a refined afternoon tea!we also had to ask for milk. The scones were overbaked, sandwiches under filled. A general lack of refinement to the whole occasion and safe to say I will not be returning.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Lauren C
Cheshire
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Just celebrated our Mums 90th birthday with an afternoon tea in the Sheridan Lounge of the old Hall. It made for a perfect day! The staff were wonderful with special mention to Sam our waiter and Kyle the tea expert. They were both so personable and attentive. There was even a birthday card on the table and we took candles which they put on some petit fours.The stately environment is very upmarket,but not pretentious.It is an ideal place for a celebration or having a treat. The food was beautifully presented .There were special coloured egg timers to guide the brew times recommended for the various teas we selected. Fresh top ups were also readily available. Everything was home made and very freshly prepared. First class all round. Highly recommended- much better than any of the London select hotels we have tried!

Room Tip: We only visited and did not stop overnight
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We were overwhelmed by the drive up to the hotel (such a shame though by the transport depot). From the moment we arrived and greeted by Dawn(so friendly and helpful) things just got better and better. The room was very clean and overlooking the gardens, we have come to expect this from all Q hotels. We ate in the Brassiere and the food was quite scrummy and again the staff were superb especially Lucy. Had treatments in the spa very good. This is one Q hotel worth another visit!!!

Room Tip: Overlooking the gardens lovely view
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I have stayed here before so knew what to expect and it was fine, my room was huge if a little noisy (in the new wing over looking the car park). The bed was comfy and the room clean which is all I needed for 1 night stay on business.

Also attended an event which was ran very well. Didn't eat in the restaurant as I have dined there before and I arrived really late.

The pool facilities are very good here too.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2014

This hotel is like a curates egg - good in parts but not enough parts for a four star. Shame about the Davis transport depot on the right of the drive not a good impression could not some fencing be erected? Room was £25 more to be in old part but as wedding going on when arrived could not look around. On the Sunday we thought would be nice to look at papers in lounge in after lunch but notice on lounge door entry reserved for afternoon tea! never stayed in a 4 star hotel that had no public lounge at all times? Also seeing previous review of free upgrade we were charged £25 a night extra after enquiring where room was on friday for staying in old part of hotel which was not worth it.
Spa weekend said slippers and robe included no slippers in room for some bizarre reason only robe so had to walk on carpet and the very long walk on cold floor in bare feet to spa where had to ask for slippers? Room pleasant but curtains set a long way out from windows so very light in morning and no info at all in room of basic things like mealtimes and where meals would be, phone numbers for spa etc, local things to do etc, not even for tv remote which was very unresponsive as old television, edge of drawer came off in hand when looking for information leaflet. Spa was good and staff welcoming and good massage but shame jacuzzi was on a time which you could not turn back on again as in most spas you just had to wait for long time before it came back on, also not enough chairs people sat two to a bed in relaxing room, no space for us and grabbed last two chairs by noisy pool. Restaurant was the biggest letdown it is by spa a long long way from hotel and far too small to cope with numbers of guests staying in hotel,the food was good on saturday night but they ran out of menus and you have wait some time to be seated also as so small extremely noisy. I can only describe the sunday breakfast as a bunfight! Too few staff not enough room and too many people, no glasses, no croissants - they had run out half way through breakfast, no cheese and ham, had to wait for eggs to be refilled and orange juice, lot of people queuing to be seated. When i remonstrated with manager he said it was always like this at weekends! I suggested he get in more staff to cope with busy times. Scrambled eggs sent back 3 times. This is not what you expect of a four star hotel i dont expect to have to queue at a cafeteria type set up for whatever food they have left. Shame they need to sharpen their act up on many levels - suggest they go to somewhere like Luton Hoo hotel to see how a country house hotel and spa should be run.

Room Tip: the spa is located several hundred yards walk from the hotel so book room on spa side
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank piney56
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crewe
Mottram Hall
De Vere Cranage Estate
Rowton Hall Hotel
Rowton Hall Hotel
#5 of 44 in Chester

Been to Crewe Hall? Share your experiences!