“Happy Hens”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Crewe
Shifnal, United Kingdom
“Happy Hens”
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a spa break with friends, had a wonderful stay. We had a warm welcome as we arrived early our rooms were not ready, our luggage was taken care of and we were directed to the spa. After a lovely lunch our rooms were ready and they didn't disappoint.
After an afternoon of treatments and relaxation we all got ready for dinner, lovely menu and friendly staff who were totally professional even though very busy. We had an incident with an over excited bottle of bubbly which bubbled everywhere, a big sorry to the lady who came in contact with the above, who was lovely. Thank you and also to the lovely young waiter who was very calming to all concerned, and patient when we came to settle our bill.
After a comfortable night sleep a lovely varied breakfast greeted us hungry hens and a good time was had by all.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Jill H,
Thank you for your review. I'm really pleased that you and your friends had a great stay at Crewe Hall. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Polish first
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I visited Crewe Hall last weekend (24-26 January) in a party of eight ladies for a Spa break. We had previously visited in January 2011 and this time, our stay was as good as, if not better than, the last one.

The staff at Crewe Hall are all so friendly and nothing is too much trouble. From the people on Reception, to the room attendants, to the people in the Leisure club, everyone has a smile for you.

Can I please make a special mention of Adam a waiter in the Brasserie on the evening - a lovely young man and a credit to your team. Pleasant and helpful and helped to enhance our dining experience. Also Kara or Karla in the Spa, who was great at her job and gave me a wonderful facial, so thanks to her too.

Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear jamoss,
Welcome back. I'm really pleased that your second experience was just as good as your first and that you had a great time. Your kind feedback will be shared with the team in due course and I'm delighted that Adam looked after you so well. I very much hope you will consider returning to Crewe Hall soon.
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Was a surprise weekend for my friend and her boyfriend we went for the spa package we had such a good time everything was spot on and such good value for what u pay for dinner was gorgeous!! And we had brilliant service from Jessica and David would deffinatly go back again :D thanks from the Essex girls and guy :)

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Dannib3191,
Thank you for your review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your weekend spa break. I look forward to welcoming you back to Crewe Hall soon.
Reviewed January 30, 2014

The most exceptional aspect of this hotel is the calibre of staff. They were friendly, approachable, helpful, authentic and welcoming. All the staff we encountered (especially Rachel) were basically as good as it gets anywhere, with nothing being too much trouble. A real credit to the hotel.

The communal areas in the main house are simply stunning. I feel it was a privilege to stay in this little piece of history.

We stayed in a 4 poster room which was lovely although could do with a little modernising. The top priority would be the installation of a power shower! The scattered imperfections did not, however, take away from a most enjoyable stay which we did not want to end.

The Brasserie was disappointing. Whilst the food was nice enough, the review accolade led me to have high expectations. These were not met. As a foodie who isn't able to dine out much in this economic climate, the standard was a real let down. My main course was the lamb, which constituted a lump of fairly gristly meat crying out for a rich sauce. The dauphenoise potatoes and vegetables were cooked to perfection although inelegantly presented. For dessert I chose the chocolate tart. The accompanying orange sorbet, chocolate soil and candied orange slice were exceptional, and would not be out of place in any fine dining establishment. The star of the show, the chocolate tart, had the stale 'I've been sat in the fridge for a day longer than a should have been' sort of taste. Had it been fresh it would have been lovely. My husband's mango dessert looked and evidently tasted incredible. My decaf cappa tasted like cheap instant with a pile of milk froth, i.e. dog rough. At the price I actually expected a high standard freshly ground coffee accompanied by petit fours or a chocolate or something! In summary, this was a fairly nice meal but not (as I had anticipated) at a fine dining standard. The prices are in line with low end fine dining. We paid £66 for a two course meal.

So, this hotel gets a 4 star from me. It would have got a 5 star from me as the few room deficiencies were more than compensated by the exceptional staff. However the brasserie was disappointing.

Would I stay there again? Yes, absolutely, I'd love to. And furthermore I would eat there again, albeit with lower expectations. Next time though I'd avoid the lamb, chocolate tart and coffee. The sparkling water I'd have again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank JosieJosieJo
Dear JosieJosieJo,
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you would return to Crewe Hall in the future based on your experience. Whilst our Brasserie has been awarded a rosette from the AA, based on the volume of guests who choose to dine with us it is not possible to deliver a fine dining experience in this area. I am sorry that your high expectations were not met on this occasion.
staffs
Reviewed January 30, 2014

we have just enjoyed another wonderful stay. Beautiful , large, comfortable room excellent breakfast. Inspiring grounds and as always the splendour of the.old hall takes you back to a bygone age. We have felt pampered by the attentive staff

1 Thank turnerwall
Dear turnerwall,
Thank you for your review and welcome back. I'm pleased that our team have looked after you so well and very much hope you will continue to visit Crewe Hall in the future.
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2014

100% yes! This was my second stay at Crewe Hall having previously stayed with a friend on a spa break. Whilst we enjoyed the break we felt that we missed out on the old part of the hotel. (See my previous review) On this occasion my partner and I stayed in the old part of the house and enjoyed the experience very much. We arrived early and used the leisure facilites which were well maintained and not busy at all, although it was midweek. We then had afternoon tea in the beautiful lounge which was a very civilised experience. You get a choice of teas which are served in glass teapots and a timer provided to ensure the perfect brew; we both chose a blackcurrant tea to start then had a traditional English to finish. The cakes were delicious but the vegetarian sandwiches could be improved - lettuce sandwich! I think carrot and humous or stilton and apple would be more in keeping with the overall experience. Never the less we spent about two hours enjoying the surroundings and as such the whole experience although pricey was good value. We didn't actually leave the hotel, the facilities and ambience of Crew Hall itself were the reason for our stay, rather than simply a bed for the night.
Our room was comfortable and we really enjoyed being in the old part of the hotel. If this is what you enjoy it is worth upgrading if it is within your budget, however the modern rooms are perfectly fine although distanced from the old part of the hotel.

We had a great experience and cannot wait to return.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
CreweHallOps, Manager at Crewe Hall, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear LittleDollyUk,
Welcome back and thank you for your second review. I'm really pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay in the original building and that you enjoyed exploring Crewe Hall. We are very lucky to be able to operate such a wonderful building as a hotel and it is always a pleasure to hear that our guests have enjoyed their visit.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Just spent a girly spa weekend at Crewe hall the hotel was marvellous fabulous location, lovely grounds, rooms, food, staff all brilliant. My only gripe - and it didn't spoil our visit, but the spa area was very busy and there wasn't enough loungers. A massive plus was My sister left her handbag in one of the lounges on Saturday evening by mistake - complete with credit cards and cash - we were delighted to find the night porter had found the bag and handed it in with all contents to reception - thank you night porter! The staff couldn't do enough for us - highly recommended!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the new part of the hotel which was lovely