“Fabulous !”
Review of Crewe Hall

Crewe Hall
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Crewe
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Duncurin was very pleased to be invited along to the Manchester Medics’ 30year reunion last weekend at this wonderful hotel. Even more magnificent than the architectural splendour of the old hall, dating from the 17th Century, so I believe, is the warmth of the welcome, not just on the front reception, but amongst everyone we had occasion to meet up with. Our room was in the new section complete with glass-lined corridors and was clean, spacious and comfortable; passed my wife’s bathroom cleanliness test; and my ‘bed big enough to actually be able to sleep on’ test. The food at the reunion was excellent, especially considering that just shy of 150 plates were brought out, piping hot within minutes and was also of excellent quality. When we wandered from the dining room at about 1am we were told that the Residents’ bar would happily serve us and though my Dilithium crystals were drained by about 2:30 several remained until gone 3:30am, one person eating a very large plate of magnificent sandwiches – we just hope she paid for them!
All in all patient, indulgent and friendly service – no reunion could be held in a better hotel or premises.
Many thanks from Duncurin and 140+ slightly tipsy others.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
CreweHallOps, Manager at Crewe Hall, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear Duncurin,
Thank you for your lovely review of Crewe Hall. I'm really pleased that your reunion was such a huge success and that you thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us. I hope the headache was not to severe on the Sunday morning!! I very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I am currently working in the area so need to establish a base for my assignment. I tried Crewe Hall and there are some great benefits but I wasn't totally convinced. There were two halves to the hotel, the old bit and the new. Old part is great if you like period buildings, which I guess if you're staying there is one of the benefits. I was directed to the new which after going up and down stairs and along corridors I eventually arrived. If I didn't make the gym, I'd had a workout getting to the room. Definitely not for those with mobility issues or perhaps young families. I was disappointed the bar didn't have a TV. I know it's not the be all and end all but as football was on when I stayed it would have been something to interact with other guests. As it was I sat at my own table in great surroundings to eat and then left reasonably quickly. The surroundings of such a fine eating area were lost on the single traveller.

Place- historical building ,beautiful setting
Room- spacious and quite modern
Restaurant- small but good selection of options. £13 for burger and chips (as a comparison, I didn't have this)
Bar- open and modern
Gym- one of the best I have used whilst staying in a hotel. Really well thought out, with modern equipment

Issues- TV didn't work in the room! Not normally a problem but it was the night of the England v Poland game which I especially wanted to see. That said the guy who came to fix the TV got me a new room when he couldn't repair the problem and couldn't do enough to ensure I was looked after.

Also the reception desk varied in service, hence I've marked it down on the rating. On my arrival I got no offer of assistance with my belongings and was met with a, "No we don't have a TV in the bar". It's possible as a weary traveller I detected a note of misplaced aloofness but I'm maybe just being sensitive. The morning shift was altogether different, so it was perhaps just me.

It wasn't really what I needed in the circumstances but would be an excellent location to stay with friends or partner and I'd possible consider taking the kids as they would see it as an adventure.

Room Tip: People with mobility issues or families with young children may find the journey to rooms in the new...

Dear James C,
Thank you for your review. I am most grateful to receive your feedback and am overall pleased that you would consider returning to Crewe Hall in the future. I am sorry that you experienced issues with your TV however I am pleased that this was rectified for you and I hope you enjoyed the game.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here on our way to Download festival to break up our journey. We hadn't intended to stay at this hotel, however there was a problem with out reservation at another hotel and they'd booked us in to Crewe Hall. After a night here, I can't say I'm disappointed that we were relocated! The building and grounds are absolutely beautiful. The staff are really helpful and friendly and let us have a nosey around the building. There was a wedding on but we weren't disturbed by this at all. The food in the restaurant was delicious (my boyfriend says the sausages were some of the best he's ever had) and the barman took pride in his cocktail skills. Our room was spacious and comfortable. The only downside (and it is so tiny it isn't worth mentioning, but in the interest of offering a balanced review I feel I should add it) was that we were given tea instead of coffee with our breakfast (which was speedily corrected)- but you know you are really searching hard to find a fault if that is all you can come up with! Really pleased with the entire place, highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear VeryBerry21,
Thank you for taking the time to review Crewe Hall. I'm delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that you will be recommending us to your friends and family. I can only apologise that the incorrect beverage was served to you at breakfast however am pleased that this was immediately rectified for you. I hope we have the pleasure of looking after you again soon.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Crewe Hall is of 16th century origin with later additions and modifications during the Victorian period. Externally it is a handsome building in well manicured gardens. Internally the main hall is dominated by heavy, dark wood and black marble. It is dark and dingy and straight out of an Adams Family set. The receptionist was polite and helpful but despite my wife and I being in our 70s and our room being half a day’s march away through a myriad of poorly signed corridors and lifts, there was no offer of assistance with our luggage. To the rear of the main hall is an architectural carbuncle of an annex which is totally out of keeping with the main building. Our room was within this annex. The room itself was fairly spacious but again was dark and gloomy which was not helped by the dark melamine finish of the fitted furniture and the dark fawn and dark brown paintwork and bed head. Lighting was inadequate so the room was dingy even with all lights on. The room was typical of any second rate airport hotel anywhere in the world We were part of a large group of about 80 plus and thus, quite reasonably, we had been asked to select our dinner menus in advance. However, the choices were both limited and uninspiring. It was a case of what do I not want the least. Dinner was served in a totally characterless room which clearly doubles as a conference centre. Next to it was an equally featureless bar with no furniture. Food quality throughout was terrible, but on occasion portions were so small it was almost impossible to determine this. Bar prices were eye watering, £10.25 for a gin and tonic and a beer, the cheapest bottle of red plonk being £22. Service in the bar was chaotic, I waited nearly 10 minutes to get a drink and dining room service was similarly slow.

Breakfast was served in the Brasserie where the tables were far to close for comfort. The room had no carpets, soft furnishings or table cloths and with a wooden floor and low ceiling the noise level was deafening. Conversation was almost impossible. Breakfast was self-service and on occasion it was necessary to queue for some time to get a table. The experience was reminiscent of a third rate university canteen.

The best part of our stay was seeing Crewe Hall disappear in the rear view mirror as we drove away. Never again.

1  Thank TonyKingSettle

Dear TonyKingSettle,
Thank you for your review. I am most disappointed that you did not enjoy any element of your stay with us, especially the wonderful Jacobean building we take such pride in operating as a hotel. I can only apologise that you were not offered assistance with your luggage and furthermore you found our food and beverage disappointing. Whilst I respect your opinion and view I would ask potential guests to Crewe Hall to also read some of the other reviews on TripAdvisor to see what other people are saying about us.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have stayed here more than once now and on each occasion the standards have been entirely reliable. Check in was efficient, room was clean, well appointed, bed was comfortable, bathroom and bedroom were both clean. Spa facilities were very good - heated ceramic seats particularly so. Food and service were to a high standard. Setting is wonderful yet it is just off the M6. Great for weddings or get togethers of any kind and very good for conferences too. Reliable quality which pays off - the hotel was full when we were there.

1  Thank seajay1111

Dear seajay1111,
Thank you for you review and welcome back to Crewe Hall. I am pleased that you have found us to be consistent with our product and service and that you have enjoyed your stay. I very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

The hotel is stunning inside and out. The old part of the building is amazing to wander around looking at the history. I stayed there on business and stayed in the new part, my room was to a very good standard. Wifi worked really well in my room which is not always the case with some hotels.

Room Tip: New part of the hotels rooms are modern and wifi excellent

Dear MrChevalier,
Thank you for your review. I am really pleased that you had the opportunity and time to explore our wonderful hotel and enjoy the Jacobean surroundings of our original building. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Very disapointed, dirty shower with long black hair left in bath from another guest.
Rip in settee which had been badley stuck, marks on walls, cold shower in the evening which also owing to poorly fitting shower door leaked all over bathroom floor.
Air con rattled loudly had to be swithed off.
On business with around 45 other colleauges .only 1 member of bar staff on to serve all of us. A young manager stood by and watched her struggle when we asked for more help he look like a rabbit in headlights and walked off .
Food pretty bland lunch same agin breakfast next day.
The evening meal for our conference was again bland, pretty poor service with regards to drinks and general waiting on.
Most of the staff appeared extreemly young possiblly students .
looks like they are trying to run it on a budget.
Has the look with nothing to back it up, i wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Dear Chris M,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry and most disappointed that your experience at Crewe Hall was memorable for all the wrong reasons. I will be sharing your feedback with the team in due course and do hope that should opportunity present itself in the future to return to Crewe Hall you will experience the levels of service which have eluded you on this occasion.
Operations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crewe
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Carden Park Hotel
Carden Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxton

Been to Crewe Hall? Share your experiences!