“Absolutely beautiful. Part historic mansion. Part supremely modern extension.”
Review of Crewe Hall

Crewe Hall
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Crewe
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Absolutely beautiful. Part historic mansion. Part supremely modern extension.”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel more than half a dozen times and each time I've found another good reason to love it. It's very definitely one of my favourite hotels.
This was the first time I've used the gym. Wow! It's huge, well-appointed... and considerably better than the one I pay a small fortune for back home. Great view from the running machine too.
The hotel was originally a Jacobean mansion and it's had a colourful history since then. One of the fascinating things about the hotel is the fact that its history is celebrated throughout the building. From the black and white photographs of politicians and Royalty to the paintings and oak panelling, it wears its heritage on its sleeve. This time round I read a panel by a corridor window which had been barricaded back in 1913, when King George V was a guest and his hosts feared that sufragettes may throw stones if they spotted him. Fascinating.
Aside from its history - made all the more evocative by the oak smoke thrown out by the open fires - the hotel's restaurant is excellent and the service always competent.The hotel extension - all glass and chrome - is as impressive as the original.
One other interesting point is the cost. I paid the same price for my night at Crewe Hall as I have done, in recent times, for a similar stay at several markedly inferior hotels. It seems very reasonable.

Room Tip: Choose between either... A room with historic grandeur (and maybe a four-poster?)... Or a spacious...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ISpyEd1
Dear ISpyEd1,
Welcome back to Crewe Hall. I'm really pleased that you enjoy discovering more about this wonderful hotel every time you visit. Next time, why not ask for a guided tour so we can get you into some of the not so obvious rooms and explain how this family home came to be a hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Best regards
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Polish first
Essex, England
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We came here for our 8th wedding anniversary. First of all, driving up the tree lined driveway towards the hotel helps to set the scene for the hotel, on arrival you cannot help to be impressed, with the building. (Albeit I do believe they should stop people parking outside the main entrance as it does detract from its beauty a little). Check in was easy and smooth with someone offering to take our bags if we required. We had a standard room in the new annexe 4012 which was small, very well decorated but not akin to the photo of a standard room that we expected from the website. We addressed this issue with the front office manager who was excellent, she listened to our problem, apologised, and quickly moved us to another room, which was bigger and more in line with what we come to expect from a Q-hotel. It contained trouser press, iron, large wardrobes and drawers, air conditioning, bath with separate shower, tea and coffee facilities, and free Wi-Fi. My only complaint was that the TV channels are limited, and would have expected more of the Freeview range. I know you don’t go away to watch TV, however when you are getting ready or just want to laze around for a bit you want a bigger selection of channels.

The Leisure pool was nice with a sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi & a remarkably well furnished gym, with very helpful staff.

As you can appreciate this is a spa hotel, so they have numerous treatment rooms, and I can only praise them. They looked after both myself and my wife excellently and the treatments were of a high standard and were as described.

Dinner in the restaurant is the only place I had a real issue in this hotel. Don’t get me wrong the food was excellent and albeit I had a problem with one aspect of my meal this was rectified immediately. My issue is (as this is a Spa hotel) on Friday/Saturday nights the restaurant is packed with large groups of women, who are rightly having some down time. This means that it can be very loud and does not assist in having a nice romantic meal out with your wife/partner, and means that the service can be a little slow, as there are numerous people all wanting meals/drinks at the same time. On the Sunday night it is completely different and the ambience and service in the restaurant was exactly what we were hoping for in a romantic weekend.

I thought the breakfast was of a good standard with a large variety of options but I would have preferred to be brought toast with my coffee by the waitress rather than to queue and get it myself, as I like to have both my breakfast and toast hot at the same time. This though is just a personal thing and no criticism of the restaurant.

All in all I would say it is a lovely hotel, where the old and historic meets the new corporate world and I would happily stay here again, and I know my wife would as she kept telling me the beautiful Chapel there would be perfect for a blessing on our 10th wedding anniversary!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank The_Childs_Family
Dear The_Childs_Family,
Thank you for your review. I'm really pleased that you and your wife chose Crewe Hall to celebrate your 8th wedding anniversary and that you were looked after well.
We will be starting a soft refurbishment of our Brasserie on 5th August which includes the installation of a curtained wall - this will allow us to keep the larger groups of guests separate from those looking for a more intimate experience.
I hope we get to welcome you back soon, especially for your 10th wedding anniversary.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had the most wonderful break. It was really special as we were upgraded.
The staff were exceptionally helpful and attentive, nothing was too much trouble.
Please go and see for your self.
Spa wonderful, welcoming. Restaurant lively and staff were very good. Food was good.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Penguin1953,
Thanks for reviewing Crewe Hall. I'm delighted we ticked all the boxes for you and that your celebrations were memorable for all the right reasons.
I hope to welcome you back soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My Wife and I went to Crewe Hall, as we were visiting some friends in nearby Alsager. The hotel seemed to be lovely. When we booked a tip top deluxe room in the main hotel (the Castle) we informed the hotel that we were bringing our dog and our baby. So far, no problem. When we got to the hotel, we discovered that we were not allowed to bring our dog into that part of the hotel and we would have to stay in the modern annex. This was a big disappointment, especially after a 200 mile drive from London which was in itself, an exhausting battle with terrible traffic. But we accepted the apology, the complimentary champagne, and the move to the room in the modern annex. This room was fine, but more Premier Inn, than country castle with four poster bed. Still - we were visiting friends, the hotel was just an added treat.

After we returned to the hotel from our evening out, we settled in for the night to sleep. We realized pretty fast that we were not only next to the main entrance, but that we were on corridor joining the hotel to the main bar, which had not one, but two wedding parties. For the best part of two hours, we had to listen to drunken revelers noisily going to bed, to the bar, or both. I don’t mind drunkenness or revelers, but not a steady stream of them 2 feet from my bedroom door. My 10 month old daughter was equally unimpressed. You can only imagine how happy my wife and I were by now! What possessed the desk staff to relocate us in that room, given we had a baby, is beyond me. Next morning, the complaint was made (again) the refund issued, and we went on our way.

Overall, I suspect that the hotel is a good one. I loved the building, and I loved the area. The staff were generally nice, albeit prone to some terrible decision making. The hotel did offer a full refund, as well as complimentary champagne, as well as taking our subsequent complaint very seriously. They even changed the pet policy on their website as a result of our complaint. When we stayed, they just got it spectacularly wrong. Would I recommend this hotel? Probably – just check carefully if you have any special requirement.

Room Tip: Make sure that you know that the modern annex is alot more Premier Inn than Country Castle. If you b...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JohnBoyTKD
Dear JohnBoyTKD,
Thank you for your review.
Again, I can only apologise for the issues you encountered during your stay with us. We strive to ensure our booking process is simple and straightforward and trust that all guests staying at any Q Hotel will respect the privacy and behave in a dignified manner.
I do hope you will consider staying at a Q Hotel in the future and should you wish to discuss any element of your stay further please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.
Operations manager
Lostwithiel, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We chose a room in one of the modern extensions to the Victorian Crewe Hall, linked to the old building by a Grand Designs-type glass corridor with small sculptures for sale.
The room was standard, but large, well maintained with air conditioning (good, as although the window glass was large the opening window was small & it's been very hot), iron & ironing board (useful as we were attending a 'posh lunch'), comfortable bed. Excellent wardrobe space, tea-making facilities. Bathroom with bath & shower over with screen, pink granite surface, quiet extractor. The WiFi worked fine.
Leisure pool was pleasant with lounging chairs, sauna, steam room, smallish (6 person) jacuzzi & fitness suite. I especially liked the 'spin drier' for swimming costume - how useful & hadn't seen one before.
Staff were extremely helpful - showed us to the room as the old part of the Hall is a bit of a rabbit warren.
Extensive breakfast buffet - juices, fruit, cereal, yoghurt, croissant, cooked (bacon, sausage, mushroom, tomato, beans, fried egg hash brown). Smoked salmon is extra. Would be improved by some 'proper' bread, not just white sliced & malted granary sliced. Good bread is the mark of an excellent kitchen.

Our lunch (for around 120) in the Long Gallery of the main building was good, as meals for that number of people are not easy.

Niggles were very small & some have been commented on before on Trip Advisor - no Radio 4, TV BBC South (in Crewe!). Also having to ask for pepper at breakfast & scrambled eggs (though this means they are individually cooked, which I approve of). Some of the bar prices were expensive. We understand the Brasserie area is to undergo refurbishment, good.

But overall a good value break.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Cornish_traveller43,
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and had the opportunity to explore Crewe Hall.
I am sorry that certain issues marred your stay and can assure you I read all reviews with a view to improving our overall guest satisfaction.
Our Brasserie refurbishment commences on 5th August and will give us the ability to 'cordon' off our restaurant to make the atmosphere more intimate.
I hope you will come back and see us once these works have been completed.
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The hotel has a very impressive appearance and is completely let down by the dining facilities. The old building looks like it houses an excellent dining experience but the restaurant is part of a very boring modern extension and bears a passing resemblance of a cafe.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Lythamgranddad,
Thank you for your review. I appreciate your feedback and opinion and as such our Brasserie will benefit from a soft refurbishment commencing on 5th August.
We do open our Ranulph restaurant monthly which is located in the Old Hall. Please do visit our website to find out more.
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We booked a last minute spa break which proved to be excellent value for money. The hotel is beautiful, facilities good and we found all the staff very helpful and very friendly. The food in the Brasserie was excellent. I am already planning a return trip!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear powers79,
Thank you for your review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your spa break with us and very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crewe
Mottram Hall
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Wychwood Park Hotel
Wychwood Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Weston

Been to Crewe Hall? Share your experiences!