“Fantastic building and architecture, not so fabulous service”
Review of Crewe Hall

Crewe Hall
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Crewe
Accrington, United Kingdom
“Fantastic building and architecture, not so fabulous service”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Booked a one night stay as a surprise for my husbands 50th birthday along with 4 other family members and as we approached along the driveway we were most impressed with the hotel, its a stunning building with beautiful gardens. Stayed in a four poster room which was very nice but a little bit tired, especially the bathroom which was outdated to say the least. Went down to the bar area to wait for the other family members and we were surprised at how small it was, very limited seating area for such a large hotel. We ordered champagne and sat outside to the front of the hotel which was lovely however the waiting-on staff werent particularly helpful or polite. We ordered lunch and were told by the waitress that she didnt think that our food would be served outside because they werent supposed to do that and that we would have to go inside to collect it when it was ready? On questioning this (considering the price we had paid for this stay) she said she would make an exception.......? The young barman could have done with breaking out into a smile now and then, made us feel that we were keeping him from being elsewhere, not very welcoming and the drinks prices were expensive to say the least. Had booked a table for dinner which I have to say was delicious, the dining room was more like a cafe though, tables far too close to each other and the room lacked atmosphere, not warm and welcoming or romantic in any way. After the meal at around 10pm we went back to the bar area only to find it closed and with no staff in sight so we sat in the corridor and waited, after 20 minutes we were told that there was a wedding party on that night and that they were very busy, hence the reason for the bar being closed which we found astonishing, surely there should be adequate staff to cover all areas of the hotel at all times? We were told to order drinks at reception and wait in the afternoon tea lounge which we did and our drinks were brought to us some 30 minutes later. This room is a beautiful example of the history and architecture of the hall and in my opinion should be used as the dining room instead of the cold, characterless one where we had just eaten. Breakfast the following morning was good but once again the service was disappointing. I had to ask the stern looking waitress for coffee 3 times, our family members on another table had finished their food before I'd even had a brew! On checking out, we were given the final bill which seemed quite steep and when I asked the receptionist to double check it I was told that there had been a mistake and we had been charged for 6 evening meals even though I had paid up front when I made the reservation however this was swiftly corrected. All in all, Crewe Hall is a magnificent hotel with stunning features and beautiful gardens but I doubt very much that we would stay there again. Although we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, we have stayed in other 4 star hotels that have provided exceptional, first class service and considering that we paid just under £1000 for a one night stay, I feel it should be a 3 star at the most.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear kerryjane104,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am really sorry and most disappointed to read the issues you encountered with regards to the service levels experienced. We have a great team at Crewe Hall and really pride ourselves on the high levels of service we provide. I can assure you that your feedback will be discussed with our departmental managers in due course so that they may further investigate and put right the shortfalls you have encountered. I do hope your experience will not deter you from using Q Hotels in the future.
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
  • Polish first
warwickshire
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed for the third time in a year and enjoyed our stay. We found our room to be lovely and clean as usual. We stayed in the new wing which is situated conviently for the gym and spa and also the brassiere.

The food was lovely, staff friendly, we will return again. We have joined the breakaway club and booked to stay at the hotel in York at the end of this month.

Room Tip: we like the NEW NEW rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank susan1warwickshire
Dear susan1warwickshire,
Welcome back. I'm really pleased that you are becoming a regular visitor to Crewe Hall and that you have joined the Q Hotels breakaway club. I hope you had a great stay in York and I very much look forward to your next visit.
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a two night stay. Had a lovely time. Very relaxing. Enjoyed the pool and leisure facilities. Didn't think the experience shower was an experience just a normal shower with fancy lighting! We ate in the brasserie both evenings food delicious. Service seemed a little slow both evenings but didn't mind as we were in no rush. The only down side to the stay was the breakfast. Although what we had was very nice the choice seemed a little limited in the continental section. I asked what yogurts flavours were available and all that was offered was a bowl of natural yogurt. The selection of fruit was ok, but didn't seem a lot there. I could only see a choice of two juices and little choice of pastries. A couple sitting nearby had to ask three times for coffee before it was brought to their table. I am probably being critical as we stayed in a premier inn only two weeks ago and the breakfast was definitely a higher standard. Overall had a good time and would go back.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kat091078,
Thank you for your feedback following your stay at Crewe Hall. Whilst pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay I am really sorry that you found breakfast to be a disappointment. As part of Q Hotels we adhere to a standardised breakfast offering to achieve consistency across the company. Your feedback will be shared with our Head Chef so that he may further investigate your comments. I do hope this issue will not deter you from visiting Crewe Hall in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Launceston, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stay here a lot and it's always fantastic. Staff cannot do enough to help you and it does make a difference. Staff have become friends which says a lot about the hotel. Even when the chefs and waiting staff had problems with the grill room, they pulled out all the stops and it made no difference to the quality of our meals. Well done everyone!

Room Tip: They are all good!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Phyll F
CreweHallOps, Manager at Crewe Hall, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Phyll F,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I'm delighted that you continuously enjoy your visits to Crewe Hall. Whilst it was not ideal having to operate our kitchen from another area of the hotel I am really pleased with how the team worked together and that it did not affect our guests in anyway. I look forward to welcoming you back to Crewe Hall soon.
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I will always be biased to my first stay here, but the second didn't disappoint either! If was bonfire night so after visiting a local bonfire there were fireworks at the hotel which were lovely too! I was a but disappointed we wanted to eat at the restaurant, which we were told we could go up until 10pm but were turned away at 9pm which meant we had to get room service!! The food was lovely though, to be fair. The rooms are lovely and clean very spacious and quiet. The breakfast was one of the nicest I've had, there was such a large choice, cooked breakfast, cereals fruit and pastries available offering fantastic value for money. Would recommend it to other friends and lived it all!

• Stayed November 2012
CreweHallOps, Manager at Crewe Hall, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Barney1985,
Thank you for your review and welcome back.
I'm really pleased that you enjoyed your second visit to Crewe Hall. I am sorry that we were unable to accommodate you in our Brasserie restaurant at 9.00pm. This was due to the large number of bookings we already had however I am pleased that you enjoyed your room service. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Crewe Hall soon.
Operations manager
Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

From the minute you drive through the gates of Crewe Hall you know it's something special. We came to stay for 2 nights over Easter and from the moment of stepping out of the car I knew we were in for a treat. Stepping through the doors you enter the most spectacular reception area, truly beautiful.
Check-in was fast, efficient and very friendly (James was the gentleman who check us in). We were in a room in the newer pasrt of the hotel but this is no less stunning we were in room 4203 and over looked the sculptures in the garen area - it was lovely & quiet. It took us a little while to get our barrings but the wrong turns just added to the exploration factor this hotel has to offer!
There is just a lovely feel to this hotel and the staff are welcoming and helpful nothing is a problem for them and everything is done with a smile.
The restaurant is well staffed and the food is deliciuous, the menu is limited but for me this is better as then i'm not struggling to decide. The bar area is very modern and even has a revolving bar (it was not switched on which we were a little dissapointed with but that is just becasue we are big kids).
We decided on our first night to have a drink in the other bar in the hotel which is next to the reception area which I believe they serve high tea in most days - this is a stunning wood carved room with another grand fireplace and lovely high ceilings it did have a romantic feel to it - so much so that my boyfriend proposed whilst we were in there (I said Yes!).
Chester & Chester Zoo are about 30 minutes in the car which is where we headed the next day I would say it is worth a trip.
We didn't experience the spa or pool facilities (maybe next time)
If you are looking for a romantic hotel with lots to offer then this is the hotel to choose, we will be back again (maybe even for our nuptials!)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CreweHallOps, Manager at Crewe Hall, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Sel_Bol,
Thank you for taking the time to review Crewe Hall and CONGRATULATIONS on your recent wedding proposal. I'm delighted that you loved your stay with us and that you got to explore around our original building. Crewe Hall is a stunning venue for any occasion and we are only a phone call away should you wish to discuss wedding plans!!!
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Hampshire
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The driveway leading to Crewe Hall is amazing, as is the reception area and historic rooms off of the reception. Staff and food are first class. We had an upgrade to a four poster room which was worth every penny.
However, unlike other Qhotels we have stayed in, there is no relaxing bar/lounge for a pre-dinner or indeed coffee after dinner. The restaurant is more cafe/bistro which is quite brightly lit and tables within a foot of the next one. No romance or privacy at all! Wine list is very limited (unlike other Qhotels) and expensive. I can however recommend the carafe of Rioja - as long as you don't want a whole bottle! It is very moreish.
The modern side of the hotel is not quite so stunning and doesn't fit in with the history of the original Hall. The restaurant is in the modern side which you access through a cold glass corridor. I believe the spa is also in that direction. We wouldn't stay again but we had a great time. I think more an excellent 3 star hotel than a four star - the standard of towels was appalling! All bounce, whitness and pile had been obliterated long ago which was such a shame. The bathrobes however were lovely.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a four poster but the ground floor corridor can be very noisy at night.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hampshirehog22
CreweHallOps, Manager at Crewe Hall, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear hampshirehog22,
Thank you for your review.
Whilst pleased that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed one of our feature bedrooms I am really sorry that you did not find our Sheridan Lounge from which to enjoy an aperitif or after dinner drink. Our Sheridan Lounge is open daily from 6pm for our guests to relax and enjoy a beverage before partaking in their evening plans.
Your comments about the towels have been shared with our executive housekeeper who will monitor the quality and cleanliness from our linen company.
I do hope you will return to Crewe Hall in the future.
Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crewe
Mottram Hall
De Vere Cranage Estate
Rowton Hall Hotel
Rowton Hall Hotel
#5 of 44 in Chester

Been to Crewe Hall? Share your experiences!