“Excellent, relaxing spa break!!!”
Review of Crewe Hall

Crewe Hall
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Crewe
cumbria
“Excellent, relaxing spa break!!!”
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Just come back from a nights stay at this hotel, I went in a group of ten ladies and we went for one of my hen do's, We booked a pamper spa break and was not disappointed! We had a two course lunch with wine which was delicious! then we each had two treatments I had a back, neck and shoulder and also a facial! wonderful
We sat by the pool for an hour or so, it was a little busy with swimming lessons but it was just after school! The following morning the pool area was empty! bliss!
We ate in the Brasserie for luch, dinner and also breakfast, the staff were very attentive and friendly. The grounds and building were stunning, The hotel had two weddings on the fri and one on the saturday but as its well set out we didnt see the wedding partys!
Overall a lovely spa break.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
kwenya, General Manager at Crewe Hall, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for sending your comments via Trip Advisor. It was very good to hear that you enjoyed your Spa break with us. Thank you for the kind comments on the Spa treatments and I will pass this on to the therapists. I am very pleased to hear that you thought the food was delicious and that the staff were attentive and friendly. The building and grounds are stunning and I am pleased that you appreciate this. I hope you and your friends will consider returning when the opportunity permits.

Ian Pollock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Polish first
Manchester
Reviewed March 10, 2011

I have stayed at Crewe Hall twice now on a mini spa package and cannot fault it. The rooms are spotless and spacious and the service from the staff is second to none. When we checked in our room wasn't ready so we went to the Brasserie for lunch - which was excellent - and our keys were brought to us.

The spa package itself is excellent value for money and has a good range of treatments to choose from.

The hotel is a bit out of the way but that was perfect for us as we didn't venture far.

We are already planning our next visit.

Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
kwenya, General Manager at Crewe Hall, responded to this review, March 11, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for sending your comments via Trip Advisor. It is really good to get such a review from a return guest. Thank you for your kind comments on your stay especially the quality of food and value of the Spa break. It is very good to hear that you intend to return to stay with us again. I hope this is in the not too distant future.

Datchworth
Reviewed March 9, 2011

We paid £246.00 for a two night stay... I paid a further £50.00 to up grade the room. On arrival we went up in a lift to the first floor and then several flights of stairs (there was no qestions asked about mobility which was difficult for my husband) to be shown a dusty miss matched room which rather felt like we we going in to clear out a deceased relatives effects. The staff were very helpful and showed us a further three tired rooms. I then asked to downgrade to the modern part of the building. This was little better than a travel lodge with brown and orange furnishings. No bath robes, flannels and one packet of biscuits between two. The bistro was liked to a marks and spencer cafe on a busy saturday and at £15.00 for shoulder of lamb with further £3.00 for some vegetables the whole experience was extremely disappointing.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank caski
kwenya, General Manager at Crewe Hall, responded to this review, March 10, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for sending your comments via trip advisor. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. I notice that you mention the helpfulnessof the staff in trying to resolve the issues you raised and thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will raise the points you mention with our housekeeper as I must say it is unusual as most comments praise the cleanliness of the hotel. This is something that we take seriously and is very important for us. I am sorry you did not find the modern section to your liking. The same comments apply to the Brasserie and reflect your feelings as all individuals have personal tastes. I am very sorry that we did not live up to your expectations on this visit.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Stayed here for a weekend in March and not one complaint! The old part of the hotel is absolutely beautiful. Our room was in the newer part of the hotel and was very comfortable and quiet. We ate in the brasserie on the first night, which was absolutely delicious. On the second night we dined in the Ranulph Restaurant, which was even better. Would definitely recommend it and hope to visit again soon!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for completing your comments on Trip Advisor. It is great to receive such kind comments on both the Old and Modern parts of the hotel. I am really pleased that you enjoyed the food in both restaurants as food is an imprtant part of the experience at Crewe Hall. I hope the service and quality you experienced will entice you to stay with us again.

Reviewed March 7, 2011

This was our second attempt at staying here, the first being in December 2010 for my 40th. Unfortunately we had to leave after one night on that occasion due to a radiator making a high pitched squeal all night. We did call the night porter who told us it was basically unfortunate as there were no other rooms available. This turned out to be untrue, incredibly the night porter either was untruthful or his management had no contigencies in situations where people may not be able to sleep!!, and that coupled with the receptionists unhelpful attitude (she asked us to come back in the evening for another room....after no sleep?? and having booked a very expensive spa package and upgraded room!) led us to stay on a complimentary package. Now you may feel this was very generous, but no it was done begrudgingly, without apology and without any follow up. I would have thought in such a competitive industry the manager would gave at least asked if the weekend had gone well or contacted us during the stay to see if it was a better experience.

The hotel is Jacobean and extremely beautiful in the old part of the hotel but is slightly spoilt by the view of the adjacent industrial park. The newer part is less pleasant and slightly down at heel. The brasserie serves nice food....but I would not agree with other reviews that state it is fine dining. It is not. The decor is trite and it is all a little in need of an upgrade. Especially when considering it's grading and when looking at the prices charged. The staff in general are extremely pleasant and helpful and I do wonder if my overall feeling of being demoralised is more to do with the poor service received on the first time of visiting. The staff on this visit did not try to hide the fact they knew we were 'complimentary' and thus had complained which did leave us feeling awkward on occasion (consider the stage whisper 'they're 'complimentary'' being hissed in front of you and then beaming over the top smiles....unnatural and a bit unnerving!).

Would I recommend this hotel? No. On the basis of price only. Drop your prices or raise your standard of service.
Oh and consider your guests are your income and treating them poorly results in poor reviews and word of mouth advice.

• Stayed March 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for sending your comments via Trip Advisor. I would also like to thank you for the kind comments on the staff and their frendliness and helpfulness. I realise that you prefere the ambiance and decor of the Old Hall and I am sorry that you find the modern extension less pleasant but each individual has there own preferences. The Brasserie restaurant has been awarded one AA rossette for quality and The Ranulph restaurant has been awarded two rossette but the quality is very good in both. I am sorry that you did not find the opportunity to dine in the Ranulph which is the fine dinnimng restaurant at Crewe Hall.
It does seem as though you have left with a mixed feeling and please accept my apologies if the stay did not match up to your expectations.

crewe,Cheshire
Reviewed March 7, 2011

My husband and I stayed with our 2 friends at Crewe Hall just for one night in March and ate in the Ranulph restaurant. From arrival to departure the experience was amazing. We stayed in the newer part of the hotel and enjoyed pre dinner drinks in the bar. On arrival we requested rooms close together, this was actioned with no problem. The rooms were clean and spacious, the bar area contemporary with helpful attentive staff. However the highlight of the stay was the exceptional meal we had in the Ranulph restaurant. One of our party had recently been diagnosed with a gluten intolerance, which we notified the hotel about before our arrival. The restaurant staff were so helpful, they contacted us to explain the menu and check it would be acceptable for her requirements. We started the evening off with drinks in the Sheridan lounge where we made our menu selection and picked our reasonably priced wine, which was delicious. We all enjoyed the meal so much, everything was perfect. I am so pleased we live locally so will most definitely be dining in the Ranulph restaurant again and again in the near future! We ate breakfast in the brasserie which whilst busy was delicious and again the gluten free diet was accommodated with no problems. I just can't believe we live within 7 miles of this hotel and never realised what a fantastic restaurant was on our doorstep! My only regret was I did not have time to use the gym and pool. Most highly reccommended.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank You for sending your comments to Trip Advisor. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us particularly your experience in our Ranulph Restaurant. The Ranulph has recently launched a market menu on Wednesday and Thursday which compliments the a la carte offering at the weekends. As a team we put a lot of effort into the Ranulph and it was very encouraging to read your comments.
I shall highlight your comments to the chef and once again thank you for your appreciation.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2011

We used Crewe Hall as a venue for 15 senior staff on a business 'away-day' with dinner and overnight to follow. The room allocated was the right size and set up as requested - plus it was in the old part of the hotel, which is beautiful. Coffee and cookies were served at morning and afternoon breaks, lunch was a buffet in the event centre - all met expectations for this type of venue. Dinner was in a private dining room - food and service were both very good. Throughout the day, the staff were helpful, friendly and to be commended. I'd recommend this as an excellent, mid-price business venue.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for sending your comments via Trip Advisor. Meetings and events are a key part of our business mid week and I am very pleased to read of your satisfaction. We do try to get everything right and on time and your comments will be very motivational to the staff and management team.
I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too dostant future.

Ian Pollock
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crewe
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Wychwood Park Hotel
Wychwood Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Weston

Been to Crewe Hall? Share your experiences!