“A letter of complaint I sent to the restaurant”
Review of Bombay Restaurant

Bombay Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 200 Restaurants in Crewe
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I attended your buffet earlier this evening upon recommendation from a family member. I was looking forward to my visit and was anticipating returning at a later date with my partner. Regrettably, this will not be the case as I was very much disappointed with my experience at the Bombay.
I requested a table for one at 8pm. I quickly became aware that the restaurant was not sufficiently ventilated for a warm Summer’s day, especially considering the spicy nature of the cuisine I was about to consume.
Once sat at the table, I was unfortunate to notice that the floor under the table had not been cleaned since the previous sitting, as there was a dirty napkin and half a broken poppadum strewn about my feet. Despite not beginning on the most welcoming of starts, I persevered.
Upon making my way to the buffet, I saw that none of the food available was labelled so I had to take a lucky dip at the selection (three) of starters on offer. Much to the alarm of my teeth, one of which, was a deep fried chicken on the bone.
Upon clearing my first plate I realised that I was not given a napkin upon sitting and had to request one.
I queried with the waitress what dishes were available, who was unsure herself and had to check with the chefs. Moving on swiftly, I attempted to try the main courses. Whilst I had been briefly told what was on offer, it was not made clear which name belonged to which dish, but at this point, I felt embarrassed to ask again and continued regardless.
The pilau rice tray was empty when I arrived and remained empty until I left. The masala dish was just sauce with no meat or veg and similarly remained that way throughout. The other five or six available dishes tasted satisfactory but were hardly exciting. I should also note at this point that many of the serving spoons were too hot to handle and no towels or such like accompanied them.
Eventually I got round to trying my hand at the deserts, which much to my dismay were far from Asian in origin. The raspberry ripple ice cream, which had pretty much melted, along with the gateaux and profiteroles were, I highly suspect, simply bought from a bland supermarket and certainly tasted just as much. There was another tray, which due to the lack of any labels in sight, I was unsure if it was a desert or a waste bowl, it certainly reminded me of the latter so I opted out.
Whilst this may at first sound hypercritical, this is the first letter of complaint I have ever written, and my criticisms are not without justification, many of which could easily be rectified. I also work in a restaurant and can empathise with the pressures at hand, but this evening was hardly busy by any means and such a service was unacceptable. I have since noticed that on TripAdvisor, your restaurant rates very highly among the public and I am hoping that my experiences tonight were exceptional and not representative of your normal service standard. If you were to acknowledge my complaint and act on them, I would consider returning with my partner in the near future to give the Bombay a second chance. Otherwise, as is stands, my experiences could not possibly justify further recommendation to my friends and family.

1  Thank karlj38

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Always consistent, always hot (heat) and always very good value. My favourite is lamb balti with a massive garlic nann...wow. My wmouth is watering!

Always enjoy the Bombay!

Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Been eating here for a long time,certainly the best Indian in south cheshire by a long shot. Exceptional service without fail,great value for money and excellent quality of food. Simply sublime

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Since the restaurant has moved back to Mill Street from High Street, we think it has lost some atmosphere. That said, the food is consistently good, and you'll always need a 'doggy bag'. Add to that the fantastic cheerful service, and you can't fault the place. Where the Bombay scores over other establishments in Crewe / Nantwich / Alsager, is the variety of dishes. No other Indian restaurant offers so many different fish dishes. Most of the others only give you prawns, if you want fish. If you haven't eaten at the original Crewe indian restaurant, do it now. You know you want to. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Went for my birthday. Atmosphere was great, food top notch and service friendly and prompt.

Strangely quiet for a Saturday night, seeing how food is so good and also strangely ran out of draught beer - this did not bother me, had a bottle instead, but one customer cooked up a right fuss about nothing !

The waiter found out it was my birthday and generously offered us a free round of drinks.

Looking forward to my next trip.