“overnight b/b stay ok evening dinner stay away”
Review of Ibis Styles Crewe

Ibis Styles Crewe
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Crewe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
“overnight b/b stay ok evening dinner stay away”
Reviewed June 27, 2011

stayed at the ramada encore in crewe for four nights with a coach party.it is a fairly new hotel with 112 rooms which were clean and comftable,the staff were polite and helpful.there was a good selection of food available at breakfast which was a bit hectic due to the overnighting coach parties.the disappointing part of this stay was the evening dinner which was abysmal,minute portions of poor quality food and very little choice.as we were a coach party i expect the dinners were produced to a very tight budget,i found most people on my coach would have paid a little more or a premium for a food upgrade.myself and others finished our stay eating dinners at the nearby duke of gloucester pub,which were excellent.I could reccomend this hotel for a overnight b/b stay but no longer . RG great yarmouth.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank pubeater
IlonaKutschbach, General Manager at Ibis Styles Crewe, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Dear pubeater,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am glad you liked the hotel, breakfast and friendly staff and I would like to apologise about your dinner experience. The 2 course meal with 2 choices was booked by the tour operator within your package.

In our Hub Restaurant we would have also had our normal a la carte menu available for an extra charge.

I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Ilona McNeil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Wellingborough
Reviewed June 24, 2011

I have this day returned from a four night stay at this hotel on an organised coach trip with 'Just Go' holidays. This hotel is geared for the one night stay and obviously thinks it can treat olderpersons on a coach stay with contempt. We were required to complete a request for evening meals for each night when we arrived. The choice was a so called meat dish or vegetarian dish. The portions were miniscule and served on cold plates with vegetables that they described as al dente but which we called uncooked. There seemed to be insufficient condiments for each table. The service wa slow and no one seemed to be incharge of the dining room. You would think it impossible to spoil breakfast. We experienced no bowls for cereals. Glasses for orange juice straight from the dishwasher and very hot. Various cooked dishes ran out on a regular basis leaving a queue of people standing for quite some time with half filled plates. They seemed to have only one small dish for each item so had to be taken away completely to be replenished. Staff had to be asked to do this and seemed incapable of recognizing that dishes were in fact running out.
As stated they should not cater for coach parties until they get their act together.

Room Tip: If you must stay make it for one night only
3 Thank bigunWellingborough
Dear bigunWellingborough,

Thank you for your feedback.

I really must apologise for your experience. Unfortunately, as a one-off this was a weekend were everything went wrong because we had 4 coaches (200 people) booked in and I must admit we weren't prepared for it because normally we don't have these amounts of coaches staying at the same time.

Since then we have taken the following actions to improve service: we ordered crockery and cutlery, we completed a coach menu cook off with our Head Chef to ensure all dishes are served up to standard and re-trained the team on how to deal with high volume bookings, especially coach parties.

Once again my apologies and I really hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Ilona McNeil

Travelers are raving about these Crewe hotels

Hornsea, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We stayed here for one night as part of a National Holidays weekend tour. I had checked it out previously on Google Earth and so knew that if it proved to be a pit of darkness, there was always a meal to be had at the "Duke of Gloucester" on the main drag not too far away. Whilst prepared, this proved unnecessary.
Check in was combined with selecting your meal options. Although there was another coach (one of three including ours) at the same time, the process was calm and swift. In moments we were in our room.
Clean, tidy, reasonably spacious with a little settee to watch telly and a hospitality tray for our tea and coffee. No wardrobe - like the infernal and triple be-damned Travel Lodge, Ramada cut-price Encore chaps probably think we'd do terrible things in there late at night, so coathangers and a rail had to suffice. All in plain view. No hardship though. The room didn't smell nasty, or deodorised, just normal (plus point). The window opened & closed smoothly and allowed views of the rabbits gambolling on the back lawn. No kidding! The bathroom was equally clean - designed for easy maintenance, with an all-in-one sink and drainage area made out of (hopefully) toughened glass. Neat pop-in, pop-out plug too. The shower was of the "wet room" type - no door, just a quarter barrier and a floor sloping to the central grate. I prefer baths and viewed this shower arrangement with much dubiety, but in the end found it the best shower I'ver ever used. Down we toddled for our three-course dinner. Found we were located with the poor people in the conference suite. Having suffered badly at other establishments who feel they can feed us poor folk with slops and inedibles I was wary. No need. Pate & toast was that very thing. Cottage pie with crunchy veg was more than passable & I like chocolate cake, Washed down with a £14 bottle of Shiraz (later consumed in our room). Service was slow, but there were a lot of us and there was only a few waitresses. Incidentaly Vicky was a charming and friendly little star. Retired from a perfectly acceptable dinner, watched some more tv, had another drink and slept the sleep of the virtuous on a very comfortable bed. Breakfast was a serve yourself job in the proper restaurant bit "The Hub" and was also acceptable. On our tour we had the usual number of habitual moaners who grumbled mightily about anything and everything. I do feel for these people, as they obviously have nothing else to live for. On the whole this hotel is clean, modern, pretty basic, but none the worse for that. On another note - how the hell does a major tour operator provide the weekend we had at such a low cost. Unbelievable!
Well done Ramada, you are my first 4 score on the grounds of cost and cleanliness.

1 Thank HoToCo
Dear HoToCo,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the near future.

Sexau, Germany
Reviewed June 3, 2011

We stayed there as we were attending a wedding nearby. The man doing the check-in was very polite and attentive. The bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was very good, a range of cooked and continental options, it was unlimited and very flexible, served until 10, so no need to get up early like in most hotels. Complimentary newspapers in the morning. We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant so can't comment on that. The cleaning staff were lovely, did whatever you wanted without being intrusive. Great shower. The only downside was it was very cold when we came in, the window was open despite it being cold day (though maybe it's not cold for the north!), and it was a hard wooden floor so colder and worries about hearing people above you, but we were not disturbed by any noise. Would definitely recommend this to anyone and would stay again if we visit Crewe or Sandbach again in future!

1 Thank TS87
Dear TS87,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the near future.

UK
Reviewed June 1, 2011

This hotel is on the same park as my office. I am looking at using this office for a number of events for my organisation which means a fair number of our people needing hotels in Crewe.

I have been trying out the hotels in the area to select the most suitable for our people and this is bar far the most convenient - a walk to the office of about 5 minutes.

Unfortunately from arrival I was made to feel actually unwelcome - couldn't have room service until after 8pm because they have an event on - couldn't eat in restaurant because they have an event on - presumably this is why they couldn't answer my phone calls to request a taxi (to get some food!) and why I had to queue at reception whilst there were two members of staff in eyeview but in deep conversation with each other.

Breakfast - got a telling off for not waiting to be taken to a table - obviously no staff there to greet you and take you to the table, but then we are only the customers and should wait in turn for service - after all its an honour for us to pay to saty here!

This is a new, nicely designed hotel but obviously doesn't need the business and so doesn't care. Well I do and I won't be recommending this to our staff.

I also found someone's tablets on the floor by the bed which is a concern on the cleaning regime and also I would think a bit dangerous if children stayed in the room and found the nice siver covered sweets. Reception didn't see this as a problem.....

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Hawkwind1966
IlonaKutschbach, General Manager at Ibis Styles Crewe, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
Dear Hawkwind1,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback.
I would like to apologise about your experience on behalf of the whole team.

I can ensure you that we do care about our customers. I would like to investigate the issues you had further but unfortunately you did not mention what date you stayed or wht room number.

Please contact me directly so I can actually look into the matter for you.

Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We stayed in this hotel as it was conveniently located for a wedding we were going to and was reasonably priced. The hotel is situated in a business park meaning there isn't much in the way of entertainment within easy reach. As the hotel menu wasn't particularly inspiring, we walked into Crewe for some food in the evening. It wasn't too far but the town centre didn't have much going for it and we would have been better driving somewhere a bit nicer.

Our room was reasonably clean and tidy, and the hotel had obviously recently been built. It had most of the facilities you would expect in a hotel apart from air conditioning (this would have been useful as having the windows open meant you could hear the smokers from the bar talking outside). Unfortunately they had a wedding reception downstairs in the bar on our first night which was very loud. Our room was on the third floor, and even with the doors and windows closed we could hear every word from the DJ as well as his dubious playlist. On complaining to the duty manager we were told it would finish at 12.30am, however, it was only 1am when it finally finished meaning we didn't get the early night we'd hoped for. In the morning, we were given a discount off the room price and an apology which went some way to making up for our lack of sleep, but even so, it would have been nice to be able to sleep as we had planned.

Breakfast was fairly standard- hot buffet, pastries, toast, cereal etc. but was at least included in the price that we had paid (£49 per room per night). The first morning was fine, however on the second morning the hotel was full and most people arrived at the same time meaning there wasn't much left of either food, crockery or even tables. The service was fairly chaotic and the staff were rushed off their feet, with guests eventually finding their own cutlery from the drawers or sharing mugs and plates between each other. Although the food tasted good, there were long queues and people were getting fed up.

All in all, for the price we paid including our discount it wasn't completely terribl,e but having said that I'd probably stay somewhere else next time to avoid the chance of a noisy wedding party disturbing us. The hotel had lots of posters up advertising its services for weddings so I get the impression this could be something of a regular occurrence on saturday nights in summer.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WoodEl
North yorks
Reviewed May 22, 2011

My husband I stayed at this hotel whilst on a coach trip weekend. Although on an industrial estate, the hotel is very clean & contempary & the reception staff were polite and helpful. There were 3 coach parties in that evening, there was not enough staff and the evening meal can only be described as chaos. After waiting for over an hour, my meal consisted of what looked like an 'Iceland value fishcake', a small handful of frozen chips and frozen peas!'. My husband's meal was a chicken thigh! & equally as bad. Our room was at the front of the hotel by the entrance and was hot and stuffy & it was essential to leave the window open. Upto 1.30am, guests were standing outside smoking. Some young American guests were shouting and screaching into the early hours & even though they were outside the reception area, no one asked them to be quiet. On the plus side - even though the staff were very overworked, they remained very pleasant even under duress - one can only assume they are useto it! the self service breakfast was OK - but very hard eggs!! & the beds were very comfy. All in all, I wouldn't stay here again if I won a free holiday - I couldn't afford the bar bill!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Revanfi
IlonaKutschbach, General Manager at Ibis Styles Crewe, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
Dear Revanfi,

I am pleased to hear that you liked the clean and contemorary style of the hotel, our comfy beds as well as our polite and helpful staff.

I really must apologise about your dinner experience. Unfortunately, everything went wrong that night. We have internally addressed your comments and used for training purposes.

Ilona McNeil
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crewe
Travelodge Crewe Hotel
Wychwood Park Hotel
Wychwood Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Weston
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa

Been to Ibis Styles Crewe? Share your experiences!