“Quirky. Beware of hard sell of Snake Oil”
Review of Abbot's Haye

Abbot's Haye
Ranked #4 of 4 Cheadle B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I wrote a review after our first visit in July 2012. We returned in Septermber 2012 and were concerned they were so enthusiastic about this Snake Oil, and pushing us too hard to try it. I didn’t want to enter an argument so didn't say what I thought of it, so when they left they must have decided we thought it was good. Big mistake on my part.
I was dubious about going again. When I’m in a guest house, I want to be able to relax. I do not want to have to fend off fanatical conversations.
After we left things went from bad to worse. In October, we received an e-mail about the Snake Oil. I ignored it. In January 2013 yet another arrived, announcing they would phone if we didn’t reply. I replied, explaining clearly I considered the product a scam. They responded, assuring me they wouldn’t mention the product to us again. In February 2013 they sent us an sms!
Quite frankly, I don’t like being hassled. There’s now no way we’ll go back, and I don’t feel I can recommend this place with any enthusiasm. The choice is yours, unlike most places near Alton Towers they often have free rooms. But can you put up with their fanatical views and pushing of Snake Oil. Arguing against it is no good. Evidence in favour of the product is scientific proof - which mostly comes from the manufacturers. Anything against it is obviously Wrong, and placed on the Internet by the product’s [many] Enemies! Perhaps it’s best to say you’re already taking It, and it has cured your wooden leg. Or you could try selling them London Bridge.
In their defence, I do stress they really believe in this product, and believe it has done them good. That’s one reason they’re pushing it. But it’s pyramid selling, and if you try it, and get your friends to try it, it will increase their profit. Clearly this encourages them to push it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 23, 2012

An extremely warm welcome from the owners, made me at ease straight away and felt more like visiting family than staying in a B&B.
The room was a double (at a single price) and was extremely comfortable. I would echo others observations about the placement of the TV being to the left of the bed, but other than that, I could not find fault with the accomodation.
Given that I have family living in the area, this will be my first port of call for future visits which in itself has to be a great recommendation.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Colin M
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My partner and I have stayed here several times over the last 10 years and each time we don't want to leave.

The reasons we stay here are for Alton Towers and the fact we are always made so welcome. There are only a few rooms which make this a very quant B&B and you are made to feel at home the minute you walk through the door.

Parking is free and on site.

Alton Towers is a mere 10 minutes drive and Cheadle town centre is also nearby and offers a wealth of local restaurants and public houses, all of which we have visited over the years.

The property itself is located within 6 acres of countryside with panoramic field views. An early evening walk is highly recommended to watch the sun set.

If you are too tired to venture into Cheadle after a fun packed day at Alton Towers, your hosts will be happy to let you use their dining facilities and sit at the table with your take away food. They will even recommend which Chinese and Pizza places to order from.

All in all a fantastic location, wonderful setting, well proportioned rooms (I think we've stayed in all of them at some point), and delightful hosts.

Highly recommended. We will be back I'm sure.

Room Tip: Just relax.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dutchy69
Reviewed July 31, 2012

A warm welcome from the owners, also the dogs and cats were friendly without overwhelming us.
We had a family room, which was very spacious with exposed oak beams, very nice. Plenty of power points. But only 1 chair (a rocking chair). Viewing the TV would be awkward as everybody would have to sit on the beds, but we never have the time for TV anyway. Quite a lot of re-used wood and fittings in the bathroom (yes it was a bathroom with shower, not just a tiny shower room), definitely not your standard hotel.
We slept really well, it was extremely quiet, however there weren't many other guests when we visited. But I think the walls are thick, so I don't think noise would be a problem.
Breakfast was great, and served quickly, so important as we wanted to reach Alton Towers for 9.00am.
Only some rooms are offered on the Internet, so it's worth phoning to check availability.
The drawbacks: I don't think you can walk out for an evening meal, you'll need the car. The stairs are antique, rather steep, and lack a proper handrail for a few steps.
Overall, it's a lovely, unusual place to stay at a very reasonable price, don't miss the chance.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HeatSeekerWrexham_UK
Reviewed July 9, 2012

As stated from other reviewers, if you want off the beaten track, rustic, friendly and you are a lover of animals give this wonderful place a visit, you will want to return. Pam and Rob are great, must be something special when they have taken in so many rescue cats and dogs, who all come to greet you and are as friendly as Rob & Pam.
Nothing is too much trouble, the breakfast is to die for.
Abbots Haye is not high star, BUT it makes up for it's minor failings with sheer character, friendliness, location, animal friendly, people friendly attributes.

Room Tip: It is only a 20 min walk into cheadle, where there are plenty of pubs, restaurants etc, including on...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2011

This guest house is amazing, pam and robert the owners have become like friends to us, we go at least twice a year when we visit Alton Towers. Their rooms are cosy and their gardens are wonderful! we loved it so much that on one occasion we went it was mine and my partners anniversary- he proposed whilst having a chinese takeaway at night in the gardens it was lit with solar lights and was just lovely! I would reccomend this place to anyone, the breakfast is always out of this world- try the staffordshire oat cake for a difference its just beautiful! We always have an amazing time here and are never disappointed even their pets are welcoming, thank you pam and robert for always giving us a wonderful experience.

Claire and Chris x

Room Tip: All rooms are brilliant- i think now we have been in them all! if you are wanting something a little...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I stayed at Abbots Haye after beeing at alton towers its really close and cheeper than the others B&Bs around. The hotel is nice enough old fashioned but in a cute way the owner was really friendly and helpful and the breckfast was nice usual fry up options and cerials carnt go wrong !

Negative wise the walls are amazingly thin ! could hear next doors convo word for word and a family arived later in the night and woke us up laughin and joking downstairs. Also in the dark its impossable to find !!!!!! ignore your sat nav the owner told us google have listed the postcode in the wrong location if you follow the directions ull come to a sheep gate or some big fancy gates im sure in the light ud see the guest house no problem tho the is signs but there not lit! we rang the hotels number and the owner was very happy to direct us though if you can id ring ahead of time to avoid making the same mistakes we made.

Having said all the negative after a day at alton towers you wont care and will just be happy to be off your feet ! id deffanatly stay again if i was going to alton towers but i wouldnt stay for a romantic brake!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheadle
The Cross Inn
#1 of 4 in Cheadle
The Huntsman
The Huntsman
#3 of 4 in Cheadle

Been to Abbot's Haye? Share your experiences!