“Great unplanned visit, good food”
Review of Merlin

Merlin
Ranked #12 of 39 Restaurants in Alderley Edge
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 30, 2017

We booked last minute one Friday having had to unexpected change our plans for my 50th birthday, so were very pleased to find a table Then we were surprised to find the restaurant rather quiet, but it meant we received excellent service. My man and I both selected the cod (not battered!), which we ate with spinach and chunky chips. It was very nicely cooked, but lacked salt - we had to add a lot of salt. The food was accompanied by an excellent Savignon Blanc. We enjoyed our visit and will return.

General Manager A, Manager at Merlin, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2017

Kategrew, we are so pleased you enjoyed your visit to The Merlin! Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you; we are more than happy to help!

Reviewed September 14, 2017

Lovely day - people enjoying the ambiance outside. We hadn't booked but no problem we were quickly and pleasantly found a table for two. Inside is nicely divided up into convivial areas with good lighting and décor. The menu is worth a serious discussion - things on there we'd never seen before - and we get about a bit. We started with a shared Sticky Platter which contained a few delicious new tastes. Could not make a decision on main course choices so, being Sunday, we boringly opted for the Roasts - one beef , one lamb; and they were excellent. Finished with the smashing idea of mini dessert and hot drink. Staff were excellent throughout - attentive, even though they were busy, but not obtrusive. Good choices of wines and beers. And the whole thing is not over the top on prices.

1  Thank PETER S
General Manager A, Manager at Merlin, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2017

Peter S, we're so glad that we were able to go above and beyond your expectations! Thanks again for taking the time to leave us this information about your recent visit. Take care!

Reviewed September 10, 2017 via mobile

Went for Sunday lunch at merlin after a recommendation and was very disappointed. The starters we had were just ok. The potted lobster and King prawn was average, and my girlfriends deep fried brie was just ok.
The problem was more with the main courses. I ordered the roast beef, and my girlfriend ordered the roast pork. Mine had a tiny piece of beef, literally two mouthfuls, and the rest of the plate was taken up with a large dry Yorkshire pudding. The roast potatoes and the beef reduction were nice but that was about. My girlfriends roast pork was OK, only the crackling and the stuffing that were supposed to come with it didn't. We had to ask for it, and when it arrived the crackling was so hard that it would've broken your teeth.
We did complain to the manager and had the main courses taken off the bill which was good. Shame the food was so bad as the place itself does look very nice.

1  Thank Chris W
Manager_TheMerlin, Guest Relations Manager at Merlin, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2017

Wiltcher27, thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. We regret to hear that you had a negative experience with us this Sunday, but we would like an opportunity to make this up to you. If you are willing, please contact the general manager directly at 01625599959 so we can discuss your experience in more depth and work towards a resolution.

Reviewed September 10, 2017 via mobile

I've been to the Merlin countless times over the years, this time three of us went for Friday lunch. While we perused the menu we had complimentary bready snacks which were delicious. I then really enjoyed my chicken, leek and creme fraiche pie which was a "proper" pie rather than some filling in a dish with a pastry lid. My husband said his ribs were the best he's had in a long time. While the other two had the mini dessert with a coffee I went all out and had the melting golden chocolate bomber which was very sticky and caramel-y. Service great. No doubt I'll be back at the Merlin before too long!

Therelfster, we strive for 100% satisfaction, and it is great to see you had such a positive experience at The Merlin. I will be sure to pass on your lovely comments to our team. Thanks again for the recommendation, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed September 9, 2017 via mobile

Popped in here when early for a meeting. Very pleasant staff, good decor and nice garden area. Was popular at 11.40am with a mix of friends, couples and business people. I would be happy to have a business get together here.

Steve_grant1, we are very happy we could provide you with a positive experience! We hope to be of service to you again in the future.

Best wishes,