“Brief visit en route to Alderley Edge.”
Review of Merlin

Merlin
Ranked #12 of 38 Restaurants in Alderley Edge
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We called in on a very hot day just for soft drinks. After standing at the bar for almost fifteen minutes (there was no-one else to server at the time, although a young lady did turn up for a drink around ten minutes after us) the chap serving managed to tear himself away from what must have been a conversation in which he was given bad news. I say this because he was by far the most miserable member of bar staff I have ever encountered.The drinks were not exactly cold, and were almost throen onto the bar, so much so that a diet Cola was made even more diet by having a third spilt.
This is a well situated place with nice gardens to sit in as well as spacious indoor rooms, but that is about as good as it gets. If you want customer service and a friendly atmosphere then go elsewhere as you will not get either at the Merlin.

2  Thank Elwood_B_Blues
There are newer reviews for Merlin

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Visited here on a Saturday afternoon last month. Began by knocking back a few drinks out the front, or at least trying to. Service was so casual it was actually laughable. It defeats somewhat the offer of waiter service when you have to go inside every order to remind them that you had ordered a round of drinks. Requests for menus and desire to order food were received with the same obvious apathy. Furthermore when drinks did arrive the order was often wrong, glasses had to be returned for being filled with weird amounts of fluff, prices for the same apparent drinks fluctuated etc etc

Slightly bemused by our drinks experience we were seated in an empty dining room (it was late afternoon). Allow me to comment on my food first. Gambretti pizza (king prawn, courgette and chili) and side of Belgian fries. Very very VERY sparse topping. Dry rubbery prawns. As much stiff crust as actual pizza. No evidence of actual cheese anywhere (and I looked long and hard). A white mug of chips with a dollop of mayo. Serving fries in this way seems to disguise the reality of only getting about 11 chips. The perceptive reader may have summarised that I was somewhat disappointed with my meal.

Some other comments from my recollection of the afternoon. Waitress spilt my chum's mug of 11 fries over the table and left him to pick them up onto his plate. Someone had a salmon dish which didn't anger them. A burger and chips passed without negative comment from another friend, but to my eye looked rather gray. These were the highlights!

My attempted explanation of what I witnessed next has required its own paragraph. Another diner in our group selected the seared tuna and salad. This piece of fish was £15 or £16. Firstly my friend remarked in good humour that there really wasn't a great deal of salad with his dish. The waitress was forced to concede that this indeed was the case. The dish returned 3 minutes later with the new addition of half a chopped onion. Upon eating the fish it was revealed to have cooked to a greater degree than the said searing had implied. It has been cooked so long and so hard that it was sludge gray / brown to its miserable husk dry core. I have truly never seen anything like it. I was seriously incensed on my pal's behalf and probably on the fish's too. That he didn't want to make a scene and return it only added to my ire. How a chef ever let that dish out of the kitchen is bewildering. How my friend managed to eat most of it was even more astonishing!

I'll move on. My desert was sold itself as a selection of choc and vanilla ice creams with some Italian biscotti or something. I received a mug (perhaps the same one that my fries had previously arrived in) with 2 scoops of poor quality choc ice cream. Nothing else. I was honestly astonished I confess at this rubbish I was being served up. I took it upon myself to report my displeasure immediately to management. It is fair to say that I spoke with great frankness. Admittedly the crumble and custards that were ordered were half well received.

Coffee took a further bloomin' age and was a further fiasco. Drinks we had ordered 20 minutes before the coffee arrived after coffee. That long had elapsed that we'd forgotten clean about them.

To conclude. I've eaten at the Merlin before. It has usually been fairly good, although always with incident. The building and grounds are splendid as is the decor. The poor standard of the service was however only out done by the quality of meal on this occasion. This is supposedly a quality restaurant, not a grim boozer. It was an utterly dreadful experience. And considering the upmarket prices of the joint, the singularly worst meal I've had for many moons.

1  Thank Martin C
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Nicely appointed restaurant on which a good amount of money has clearly been spent. Relaxed atmosphere. Ample outdoor seating even on a brilliantly warm and sunny day but as so often in Britain the money only ever gets spent on the decor. Spanish girl employed to take food from kitchen to table aside (clearly very good waitress material), totally indifferent service from indifferent staff: constant prompting for a table, a menu, a drink, to order food, to pay for the food. No interest, no expertise. Somewhat disparate menu of forgettable dishes, minimal veggie selection. Pizzas are okay, more elaborate dishes disappointed, sides far from generous. Skipped dessert.

1  Thank mrsmills
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I enjoyed my visit, the food was good but not excellent, my friends had the early diner menu which was great value and good quality. Staff were friendly but a little keen and the food courses came a bit too close together. I would say the main menu is a little overpriced for the quality of the food but presentation was excellent. An enjoyable evening overall

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Came here with my wife and children for lunch. It was very busy inside, with the staff running around. Our waiter was z very pleasant lad who took our order pretty quickly. We waited for about 25 minutes then the waiter came back and asked if he could take our order again!! He was obviously embarrassed and kept on apologising. He asked as we were waiting did we want some more drinks which we accepted. We waited a further 20 minutes for our food. The food was of s good quality, but the portions were very small. I had a spit roast chicken, which was initially brought to me as the roast chicken dinner. It came with fries and Asian coleslaw, both which were really small portions. We decided not to stay for dessert as we were now running late. Only on leaving did we realise that the round of drinks that we thought were free as we had waited were charged to our bill!! Disappointed to say the least - we won't be going back.

1  Thank CheshireFood