“Excellent Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Wizard

The Wizard
Ranked #13 of 36 Restaurants in Alderley Edge
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Romantic, Dining on a budget, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Local cask ales, fresh local produce, pub classics, sandwiches, set menus and an ever evolving A La Carte menu. Dogs welcome. Bookings strongly advised on Sunday to avoid dissapointment.
Cheshire, United Kingdom
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Food good quality. Staff very professional and attentive. Dog friendly. The atmosphere is very welcoming. Excellent venue to also experience walks around Alderley Edge. Picturesque gardens provide outdoor eating area.

• Visited May 2014
TeamWizard, General Manager at The Wizard, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again in the near future.

“Disappointed customer”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Easter Sunday 2014 four of us went for lunch booked well in advance for 2.30pm on arrival my friend and I waited at the reception whilst our husbands parked the car, a waiter, or as we later found to be the manager,came through at great speed with two meals held high only to bump into my friend almost knocking her off her feet(no apology) on his return he bluntly told us that our table was occupied by customers who had arrived late for their booking (again no apology) he then proceeded to the back room where he started to dismantle a table set for eight people (the offer of a drink would have been nice -good PR I would have thought) the tables now divided into two tables of four, he said " take your pick" which I found quite amusing at the time (Bazel Faulty came to mind )
We all found the 'Wizard' which we have not been to for years, even though we only live in Wilmslow, not to be fine dinning which we expected, but to be a pub serving third rate food at fine dinning prices. NOT TO BE RECOMMENDED!!!
I do not consider olives and feta cheese to be a starter!! Nibbles yes, complimentary!!
What a pity, the fall of a great restaurant 'SO SAD'

2 Thank Norma R
TeamWizard, General Manager at The Wizard, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your time with us but we embrace and value your feedback. We are driven at the Wizard to offer the best customer service possible, and are very distressed that we did not live up to or fulfil your expectations. I'm sorry you've had a bad experience but would love you to come back in order for us to prove what we can do. Please call me directly on 01625 584000 to discuss

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Thursday lunch thoroughly enjoyable”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Visited several times over the years with previous management; first time under new. Service was quick, minor changes to menu were interesting and tasty, good value for money; other than new serving faces, we only found out about the new management by checking through here. One interesting factor though is that a friend warned us to look up the Wizard's food hygiene rating and we found that Cheshire East, "scoresonthedoors" (or something) had bad things to say from mid 2013. I should be interested to give the Ainscough General Manager an opportunity to reply.

Dear customer,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. In order to answer your question regarding 'scoresonthedoors' it was simply down to issues related to structural changes of a listed building.
I hope this helps and appreciate your feedback.

London, United Kingdom
“Needs to learn about customer service”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

After a walk with friends we repaired to the Wizard, an old haunt for a drink and a bite to eat. Despite arriving at 1.40 the Manager told us in no uncertain terms that he was not serving food! There was no further enquiry about what it was we would like or that he would make enquiries in the kitchen. The reason he said was that they had just taken an order for 40. Yes, but the purpose of the place is to serve customers at lunchtime, not just one party which had clearly pre-booked the back room. That fact had eluded him completely. As a pre-booking they should have had a plan as to how they were going to cope with other customers and, even if not a pre-booking, they should have found a way round. The old team would have done so. This new version desperately needs to upgrade its standards and approach. I endorse Damien's comment that the current set up is not working. The bar tender was a bit embarrassed but his hands were tied. There needs to be a great rethink or change of leadership here for it to flourish longer term as it should.

2 Thank Sally829
Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I do apologise that we did not live up to your expectations on the day. As explained at the time, we had taken the maximum amount of covers that our kitchen could cope with and in order not to damage our customer experience; we had to hold back on taking any more walk-ins.

I again apologise and see how this would have upset you. Though we would love to have you back to see what we can do. Please call me directly on 01625 585105

Manchester
“The wizard needs Harry Potter”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Thee of us went for lunch on Easter Sunday we had previously booked the table for 1.30 , when we arrived we waited and waited for our drinks then we waited and waited for the menus then we waited and waited for the waiter to come and take our order last but not least we waited and waited for our food. I ordered fillets of pork with bubble and squeak and sautéed leeks which was a euphemism for the following --thre minute slices of stringy pork a small bubble and squeak which consisted of mashed potato and two tiny pieces of hard carrot and a portion of raw baby leeks that had been heated up in butter! never again ps my meal cost £ 15 50 with out drinks or puddings.

2 Thank Mumbum16
Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I do apologise that you didn't enjoy your experience with us on Easter Sunday. I will take your complaint on board and see all your points are looked into and appropriate action is taken to resolve this from ever happening again. I hope you will visit us again some time in the near future.