“Good, but for me, not a special occasion restaurant.”
Review of Stag's Head Great Warford - CLOSED

Stag's Head Great Warford
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated in the stunning cheshire countryside, The Stag is a family friendly traditional pub providing impeccable service, fresh homemade food and an excellent range of wine, cask ales & champagne to all that visit.Here at The Stag, we use only the best locally sourced produce enabling our experienced, Award Winning Chef and his team to deliver the best of British cuisine.Choose from our extensive menu or blackboard specials and enjoy your meal in one of our cosy dining rooms with open fires or out in the sun on our fabulous new decking area which overlooks our large, child friendly garden and beautiful Cheshire countryside.What better venue to hold a special event! we cater for all occasions with each event taylor made to suit your individual requirements.Come and visit us very soon and experience first hand why we are the talk of Cheshire....
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Good, but for me, not a special occasion restaurant.”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I booked a table for last Saturday at this restaurant as we had tried to book at The Bridge in Prestbury but were disappointed when they were fully booked. I checked Trip Advisor and found this restaurant was rated as number one in Alderley. We had great expectations due to the glowing reviews on Trip Advisor.

I can only be honest and give my impression of the restaurant and my first impressions were not good. I was disappointed to find that this was not a pub with a restaurant but a pub turned into a restaurant. This meant that we were shown to a small room containing four tables with the normal bench seating found in most pubs. The atmosphere was lacking and the decor stark with normal 'pub like' accessories. The service I have to say was excellent and the staff were very friendly and efficient. My only criticism would be that the service was a little too quick with little time to 'rest' in between courses. I had a steak which was..... okay, but nothing special; however, my husband thoroughly enjoyed his large portion of fish chips and peas. The sticky toffee pudding for desert was delicious!

I would not call our visit a 'dining experience' and I would not go there again for a special occasion but I would go for Sunday lunch or a mid week treat. There is a really nice decking area outside for al fresco dining that we noticed on the way out and I would imagine that this would be lovely on a nice warm evening. All in all this would not be the number one restaurant in Alderley for me as I have visited nicer restaurants with better food buit I suppose it all depends on individual taste.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Lynda H

Chorley, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“NOT JUST PUB GRUB, RESTAURANT STANDARD FOOD & SERVICE”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Called into the Stags Head after completing the 10 mile Great Warford Run, and we are glad we did, they didn't have a table for us when we first arrived as they were booked up, they said it would probably be around 3pm before a table was free but, would let us know when one became free, we ordered a drink and thought we would wait until we had finished it to see if a table became free, we hadn't taken the first sip when the gentleman came to tell us that a table of people had decided to eat outside, therefore, there was a table free, the food was served, home made spicy meatballs with warm crusty bread and the best chunky chips I have ever eaten, with home made sticky toffee pudding and ice cream for desert, gorgeous, didn't want it to end it was so good, my partner had Poughmans Salad with warm crusty bread and the best homemade chutney he has ever tasted they should sell it by the jar behind the bar, with ice cream cake to follow, again gorgeous.

• Visited August 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Absolutely tip top”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Visited the Stag a couple of weeks back and the food, the service and the beer was magnificent. The outside decking on a warm sunny evening was idyllic. Thoroughly recommended, well done to all.

Cheshire
“Excellent food and service, we shall return”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We've driven past the end of the road and seen The Stags Head for a number of years but never ventured in until yesterday evening - now we're wishing we'd visited sooner! The service was excellent, being seated on arrival and our drinks order brought to the table. Another plus was the food order being taken at the table. The menu was seasonal with a wide selection of foods, plus a specials board and when our food arrived it was delicious - freshly prepared and full of flavour. My only disappointment was that I didn't have room for dessert! We would definitely recommend and shall be visiting again soon.

Wilmslow, United Kingdom
“Our 1st visit the Stag's Head”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

After reading an article some time ago, about this delightfull pub/restaurant, we had every intention of giving this place a visit!! Whilst having a "run out" last Sunday, we drove passed a
sign reading "Stag's Head" so we literally stumbled across it!! Wow and what a place...and this was only the outside! It caters for every need! Beautiful views from the beer gardens, very spacious, fantastic outdoor facilities with the table and chairs being weatherproof and extremely comfortable, decking throughout, which made it easy and accessible for wheelchair users, smoking area (under a canopy) and an outdoor area for children which was totally safe! The floral displays were beautiful, pets were allowed also (with the usual care of course)! This place is well worth, a visit! The service was top notch from extremely polite and courteous staff. A varied menu for all! Go and see it for yourselves especially on a lovely summer evening.

We will be returning very soon, for an evening out with friends!! P&J Wilmslow