“Nice location, but food very average”
Review of Loch Fyne - CLOSED

Loch Fyne
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Cheshire, United Kingdom
“Nice location, but food very average”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We went to the Loch Fyne for an early evening meal in June 2013. The sun was shining and it was very pleasant to sit outside in the evening sunshine. The staff were pleasant but the service was a bit chaotic. We all had a fish dish, but the food was nothing special. I had a traditional haddock, chips and peas meal - but is was overcooked and was no where near as good as the local take away. My husbands seafood pasta also lacked imagination and taste. The restaurant is in a nice location and sitting outside was very nice. Such a shame the food was disappointing!

• Visited June 2013

Northern England
“Going Downhill!”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

As we live locally and enjoy seafood, we keep giving this place the benefit of the doubt - after all, Loch Fyne have an excellent reputation and we have enjoyed really good meals at some of their other restaurants such as Ipswich, Edinburgh, Knutsford and Solihull - but not here!

We arrived and were greeted warmly (gushingly) by a young lady who had the curious ability to seem attentive whilst not actually listening to what we were saying. We were shown to the bar area where we were asked what we would like to drink. Unfortunately, draught beers are no longer available and a small (33cl) bottle of Peroni is £3.40 so we moved straight to the wine list and chose a house white at approx £17 for the bottle.

When it came to ordering food a number of dishes listed on both the menu and the specials board were unavailable - despite the fact that it was still relatively early in the evening. After ordering the food took a while to come, for which the waiter apologised - as it happened it didn't matter particulalry as we were enjoying the company of friends.

The food, when it came was okay, nothing special and would have been better had there been more vegetables / salad / garnish etc. It was pointed out that these could have been ordered as extras.

The atmosphere in the restaurant seemed a little dull and there wasn't the efficient buzz that you'd expect at Loch Fyne.

In my opinion this is not a cheap restaurant and, on balance, I think we received poor value for money. It would take a substantial change to entice me back.

• Visited June 2013
Ilfracombe, United Kingdom
“Oysters and more”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We went to this restaurant last week and I thoroughly enjoyed the meal. I was brought a huge seafood platter of crab and oysters. The waiter was attentive and we hope to go back very soon. We did not have any coupons but saw others using them and just found a £10 off voucher on their site, also going to rejoin the gourmet club as can use the card here.

• Visited May 2013
Cheshire,UK
“Could be so much better with little effort.”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

For a specialist seafood restaurant to run out of standard menu items is quite poor. I can sort of understand the previous comments about falling standards as this establishment has all the hallmarks of gradual decline. Other examples...starter missing garlic bread accompaniment , incorrect final bill, screaming kids throwing balls/balloons around other guests, daily specials board unclear (and not offered by staff).
Overall we had a distinctly average dining experience here, my soup starter (with garlic bread) was tasty but quite gloopy...fish soup should be thinner. My main of poached smoked haddock was tasty.
The staff were helpful enough, the head waitress (i think) was friendly and the others were good but since there were only a few diners int he place it still took too long to place or order then to try to attract their attention when we wanted the bill...they were chatting at the bar.
My last experience of Loch Fyne was in Egham about 6-7 years ago, i wasnt encouraged to visit another one, my experience at this one only confirms my first impression. Don't think we'll be rushing back here in a hurry, you can get good seafood at most restaurants these days, whats to differentiate this place from them ?

• Visited May 2013
Cheshire
“Standards Falling !”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Having frequented both Alderley and Knutsford branches a number of times we were looking forward to a nice Sunday family lunch.
It was Easter and I had expected a struggle to get a table but plenty of choice was available on the web site. On arrival I was rather surprised to see a near empty car park and few diners in the restaurant.
Things did not start to well for the very helpful waiter who on taking our drinks order returned to tell us that they had run out of Sherry !
My sympathy for him continued when he had to come back to us again to tell us that they had run out of Mango for one of our starters !!
My squid was served with a tempura batter that fell off onto the plate and was tasteless. I followed this with a the haddock on mashed potato which again required salting as there was little taste to the whole dish.
I concluded that this chain has a good formulae of location, furnishings and atmosphere but has lost the management need to inspect and in particular taste the food that it serves.

• Visited March 2013