“Wonderfully fresh fish and seafood”
Review of Loch Fyne - CLOSED

Loch Fyne
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 24, 2012

The waitresses are polite and helpful. The restaurant is spotless and the food beautifully presented. Excellent menu.

Reviewed February 18, 2012

I review restaurants on the following categories ; food,service,ambiance and clientel. The last three areas were all 'good to very good, but none of this matters if the food is not up to it ,and in this category I would rate the food as 'poor to awful'.It is best that I reserve my comments about my meal rather than include my fellow diners. I had fish and chips at £12 followed by a sticky toffee pudding at £5.50 and a bottle of Argintinian malbec at £15.Malbec (cheap or expensive) should be a dark thick red - difficult to see through.The wine served to me was thin/light and rasping - the worst malbec I had ever tasted - where on earth do they buy this stuff - was it a malbec? My fish/batter was OK but the chips were simply awful. If a specialist fish restaurant must use frozen chips at least use the best quality rather than the dry tasteless mess I was served.( not long ago I ate at a restaurant at Cheshire Oaks where the chips had been prepared from non-frozen potatoes and double cooked- WONDERFULL-why can't more restaurants do this-is it beyond the chef's ability or is it about keeping labour costs down).. The sticky toffee pudding was dreadfull. The sauce was passable but the pudding was small dry/stale and tasteless.I will not be going back.

2  Thank kellyseye99
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We have visited the Alderley Edge restaurant on a number of occasions and have had a range of different experiences.

On this occasion - a busy Saturday evening we arrived to find the manager and staff a little bit under the cosh. In the absence of anyone to greet us and show us to our table we took a seat in the bar area and, after noone was forthcoming to take our drinks order, ordered ourselves from the barman who seemed friendly and helpful - offering to bring our drinks across. We studied the menu and made our selections, however it was approx half an hour later before anyone came to take our order and show us to a table.

We enjoyed a sharing starter which was a decent mix of seafood and pate. However the bread which should have accompanied it didnt arrive until we pointed out it's absence to a waitress.

My wife enjoyed a very good maincourse of hake and samphire, well cooked and presented with mixed vegetables. However, my monkfish and kingprawn thai curry was inedible as it seemed that the entire contents of the saltpot had been emptied into it - very disappointing as I have enjoyed the dish very much on previous visits.

On pointing out the problem our waitress was very quick to take the dish back to the kitchen and return saying that she too had tried the curry and agreed that it was very very salty. She offered a replacement dish and I asked for whatever could be produced fastest in order that I could at least enjoy a meal along with my wife. Quite quickly, though not before my wife had finished her main course, a plate of king prawns and scallops was produced. However, the sauce accompanying it was again badly over-salted and so I sent it back and declined their offer to try again.

On receiving the bill we saw that we had been charged in full for all the food eaten, whilst we felt it would have been fairer to pay for starters and drinks and write the maincourse off as a bad experience as it had somewhat spoiled our evening out.

Having given the place the benefit of the doubt on previous occasions, we are not inclined to do so again in future.

Reviewed February 1, 2012

Went to Loch Fyne on my way down to Gatwick to go on holiday. It wouldn't have been my normal choice of restaurant, but I had some Gift Vouchers that had been a Christmas present.

Things didn't start off too well when the Maitre D commented on us dining so early. I explained we were off on holiday and named the resort. He enquired whereabouts the resort was... I started to explain and he cut me off mid sentence saying "I'm not really that interested, I just asked to make conversation". Nice!

The starters were nice and enjoyable - I had sardines and my partner had the squid. Both were very tasty.

The mains were mixed. Mine was asian scallops and prawns. These were nice enough, but the onion and mushroom stir fry that accompanied it was way too salty to eat. It was horrendous. It was like the lid had come off the container while they were salting it. The other main (Haddock and Chips) was nice - but you can't really go wrong with this... or can you?

The next evening my partner was diagnosed with Gastroenteritis. Obviously we have no concrete proof of where/how this was contracted - but it is commonly associated with poorly prepared seafood.

Reviewed January 19, 2012

The best place for fish & seafood, we have eaten here about 10 times & each visit has been a joy, i just wish it was closer to stockport (where i live), the waitresses & very polite & knowledgeable about the food, can't wait for my next visit.