“Good lunch”
Review of The Oakwood

The Oakwood
Description: We are delighted to have opened our first pub in the North West and what better location than stunning Alderley Edge. We have lovingly restored and renovated the building to highlight original features and create a warm welcoming bar, a beautiful dining room and a gorgeous garden for balmy summer days. Our delicious menu features French brasserie classics alongside British pub favourites all lovingly cooked from scratch by our chefs using the best of the season's ingredients. Our carefully chosen wine list features some of the world's best wines whilst we will be showcasing local guest ales at the bar. A warm welcome awaits from you from General Manager Jess and her team and we look forward to seeing you very soon.
Reviewed September 29, 2017

Lunch. And a much better one than the last visit.

To start for one of us, wild mushrooms on a tasty slice of sourdough toast topped with a lightly poached egg. For the other, a cheddar cheese soufflé, nice and light with breadcrumbs on the outside giving a slight crunch. A cheese sauce comes with it to make it lovely and oozy.

For mains, onglet, chips and salad. The steak only comes rare or medium rare, so those who like their meat more cooked will have to look elsewhere for a less tasty piece of meat. Chips were bog standard catering ones, the salad from a bag of mixed leaves. The other plate featured suckling pig – a couple of chunks of just cooked loin and a slice of long cooked shoulder encasing a fruit stuffing (prune ?). There’s sauté potatoes, cabbage, a nice gravy and several gooseberries making a nice, sharp change from the more usual apple.

We didn’t have dessert but coffee was good.

Lisa W, General Manager at The Oakwood, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2017

Thank you so much for your review! I'm glad that you enjoyed your experience as a whole and will make sure we take your comments on board for future visits. We look forward to having you again soon!

Reviewed September 15, 2017

Difficult one this, as there was nothing startlingly good or bad to report. Visited for lunch with friends who like the place, but the experience left me with several reservations. The pub has been nicely re-decorated and presented and the staff are friendly and welcoming. Service was unhurried and professional and the food was certainly adequate.

Firstly, I noticed some oddities with the menu choices – steamed chocolate sponge with chocolate sauce. Blackcurrant mousse served with poached blackcurrants! I wondered if the chef simply has limited imagination about ingredients or whether the notion of complementary or contrasting flavours was missed during his/her training. Then there was the issue of the small choice of mains on the set menu. Leave out the vegetarian option (I’m not one) and the fish dish (not keen on white fish) and I’m left with either a pork schnitzel, or a steak frites express which costs two pounds more than the quoted set menu price. Effectively their £11-95 for two courses then becomes £13-95! Looking back at the set menus I was not surprised to see that the steak frites express with its £2 surcharge is an ever-present. Good way to boost profits, advertise £11-95 and actually get £13-95. Looking around, it is a popular choice as most people seemed to be ordering/eating it, and it certainly satisfied my companions, although we wondered why the beef had to come all the way from Cornwall when Cheshire, Wales and Lancashire have many pedigree beef herds?

I opted out of the set menu and ordered the “Pie of the Week: traditional home-made pie, seasonal vegetables”. This was a beef in red wine pie I was told and it was duly delivered alongside a dish of chanteray carrots cooked in a butter and sugar herby glaze. There were enough carrots to have fed all four of us at the table, but 'vegetables' is a plural and the meal would have benefited from less carrots and another veg or potato. Under the pie crust there was some nicely cooked beef in a red wine sauce with a single mushroom quarter and …….. more carrots! All OK, but nothing I couldn’t have bought in a dozen local pubs for substantially less than the price charged here. The bread and butter pudding I chose to follow was good, although it was served luke-warm with a ball of ice cream, surely hot or cold, not somewhere in between? At a nearby table someone ordered the “special full rack of pork ribs” at £17-00 which to my prying eyes when it arrived, looked strangely like the packaged ribs I buy from Aldi’s each week for £4-99!
Drinks prices are marked up. A non-alcoholic beer which costs £1-75 in Tesco’s is charged at £2-75 here. Wine is even more marked up. Their Merlot Granfort Pays d’Oc is sold at £21-50 but can be bought from an on-line wine merchant for £7-25. Prosecco Da Luca at £30 can be bought for £9-70, while Albarino Pulpo Rias Biaxas at £30 can be bought for £9-87. It may be the case that customers are paying more for a glass of wine than they would have to pay for the whole bottle bought elsewhere.

So, food and service OK but not over-whelming; drinks prices highly marked up; place is nicely presented and clean, some odd menu choices. In today’s highly competitive market I can get decent food, drinks and service for less cost throughout south Manchester and Cheshire. Will I be back? Can’t think why I’d want to, really, even though we were given discount vouchers as we left.

Lisa W, General Manager at The Oakwood, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2017

Thank you for your review and your feedback. We appreciate it as it helps us to improve our standards. We have taken note of all of your comments and will use them to help us further our business and make our guests experiences better in the future. Have a lovely weekend!

All the best

Lisa

Reviewed September 13, 2017

We have eaten here regularly, at least once a month for some time. We sometimes manage to get there before 6:30 and so take the set menu. This changes every month and is clearly chosen and prepared by a chef and staff with real flair. The dishes are imaginative in a way that is not found elsewhere.
The a la crate menu is nicely balanced and so has a number of dishes that are very popular such as delicious steaks but also includes some less obvious dishes such as a fabulous fish stew and others.
I should also mention that this all takes place in a beautiful dining room with tables widely spaced. For me the feeling of a place is almost as important as the actual food and this is just a really nice place to be in.
The staff are relaxed and fun and very well informed.
Get yourself over there. The place is popular so can be necessary to book some nights.

Chris thank you so much for your lovely review! We are thrilled that you enjoy your experiences with us here at The Oakwood, and can't wait to have you again!

Reviewed September 1, 2017

I went with my mother for the early set menu (order before 6.30). Whilst the choices were fairly limited, what we had was lovely, especially the chocolate pudding!! We had 3 courses for £15.45 each, great value for money. The service was really friendly too. Will definitely be going back.

Lisa W, General Manager at The Oakwood, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2017

Hi Natasha, thank you so much for your review! I am so pleased that you enjoyed our set lunch. We do keep the menu quite small because we change it every month, our September set menu starts on Thursday next week! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed August 21, 2017

lovely food and good service, nice atmosphere even with our kids
seafood boulibasse spelt wrong but was gorgeous

Lisa W, General Manager at The Oakwood, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2017

Cathryn thank you so much for your review, I am so pleased that you enjoy your meals with us here at The Oakwood. We look forward to having you again soon!

All the best