“Very disappointed with visit”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Peckover House

Peckover House
Ranked #1 of 41 things to do in Wisbech
More attraction details
Owner description: A National Trust Property - house, grounds containing a Stables restaurant etc.
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Very disappointed with visit”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We visited Peckover House in September, there are only a few rooms you can actually go in, I was very disappointed, I'm just glad we went in September on heritage day when entry was free, I would have grudged the entry fee.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank mazrat69
Peckover House P, Manager at Peckover House, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear mazza1r,

Thank you for visiting Peckover House and Gardens during Hertiage Open Day 2012.

Heritage Open Day is always a great opportunity for us, and many other proeprties in the town to open our doors to everyone for free.

I am sorry you found the property very disappointing, as this is not usually the norm with our visitors.

We have eleven historic show rooms open to visitors, along with an extensive 2 acre garden, tea room, gift shop and 2nd hand bookshop.

We review our entrance fee on an annual basis and think that what we charge is fair for what we offer - of course, it is free entry to National Trust members.

All monies collected from our admission fees goes directly towards the upkeep of the property - the gardens, conservation of our collections, access for schools and community groups and is a hub for local people to volunteer, visit and enjoy.

Welcomed 22,000 visitors to the property during 2012 and i believe the majority went away feeling they had a great visit - as is reflected in other reviews on this site.

We are limited to opening eleven rooms in the House, as the rest comprise of office and staff room space, archival storage and the top floor is private accomodation.

We do offer Behind the Scenes tours thorughout the season, on which we take visitors on the roof, in the bank vault, in the archive rooms and other spaces not visible on the normal visitor route. If you would like to return to the property and take part in one of these tours, i would be happy to book you on one - please contact me via the number below.

I am sorry you were disappointed by your visit and if you would like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to give me a call.

Regards

30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Good”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

A very interesting house with its local history behind it.Gardens and orangery were amazing.Lots of steps to get into building and also once inside,but worth it.House is very well maintained.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Happy123154
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Don't go if you are in a wheelchair!!!!!”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We attended a wedding there and can honestly say it was the most unwelcoming venue I have ever been to.
Firstly when we arrived we were told that my Mother who is disabled and in a wheelchair could not come into the venue unless she was able to walk up the stairs!!! Not wanting to miss the wedding she had to be assisted in an undignified manner into the building, it was truly aweful and embarrising for us all. We were then informed that she was unable to use her wheelchair in the house and would have to use the one provided (believe me it was shocking). We then had to endure an hour or so in freezing cold library ( I know we are in a difficult financial climate but surely they could put the heating on? )
I appreciate this is a beautiful old building but if this is being hired as a wedding venue then surely EVERY ONE should be able to enjoy their experience.

Visited November 2012
Peckover House P, Manager at Peckover House, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Mr Gilbey

Thank you for reviewing the wedding you attended with your mother on Saturday 24 November at 1.30pm.

I am sorry to read that you were not happy with the experience.

I have spoken to the member of staff that ran the wedding, and she reported to me that the bride and groom were very happy with the venue, and that there were no complaints or issues raised on the day by you or anyone else in the wedding party.

As a grade one, historic 300 year old building, I am afraid we are very limited as to what access to the house we can offer our less abled visitors. I am sorry this caused a problem with your mother, but I am sure, having spoken to the member of staff that ran the wedding, our procedures were followed and your mother was treated with care and every effort was made to help her.

We have been advised by the fire brigade and our National Trust fire advisor, that visitors and guests must be able to make their own way into and out of our building, in case of a emergency or fire. I would advise that when visiting a historic house that you call ahead to check access arrangements, as they vary from property to property.

Two of my members of staff met with the bride and groom before the wedding day and we discussed all aspects of the venue (including access) and the running of the ceremony and at no point was it mentioned that any guests were coming in a wheel chair.

We frequently have guests who come to Peckover and attend weddings in wheelchairs and we always make arrangement for them and they always leave happy.

Having spoken to my experienced member of staff, it would seem that your mother was treated with the greatest respect and every effort was made to help her up the stairs and into our in-house wheelchair. There was no issue raised to the contrary to this on the day.

We ask our guests to use the in-house wheelchair as it ensures our historic floors are kept free from dirt, mud and stones which accumulate on wheelchairs which are used outside.

It is National Trust policy inline with our conservation methods, that we set the heating in the building to 'Conservation' heating (which is based on humidity), which ensures that our collections and the fabric of the building are kept stable and available for future generations to enjoy.

We did however boost the heat before the ceremony, and we find that the room does get hot with many guests in there, but I am sorry it was not warm enough for you and your mother during the ceremony. The length of the ceremony is completely dictated by the wishes of the bride and groom, and I am told that during the two hours the wedding party was on the property (1.30pm - 3.30pm) it was enjoyed to its full potential with many photos being taken in the Library.

I would like to once again apologise if you were dissatisfied with the venue, but we have a good reputation for weddings having done them for so long now, and I feel that your review does not truly reflect the experience of our guests and visitors, as other reviews on this site reflect. On the day, every one was happy with the venue and no complaints were received, and if there were any issues, they would have been dealt with promptly there and then.

My team and I make every effort to accommodate all the wishes of the wedding party, and in future I urge you to call ahead to double check access arrangements to avoid further disappointment.

As said in a private message through Trip Advisor, I am more than happy to talk this through with you on the telephone if you wish.

Yours Sincerely
Ben Rickett
Peckover House
House and Visitor Services
01945 582817
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“wedding event”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

we were here at a wedding and it was a beautiful setting with what seemed to be very good service. food lovely

Ely
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Great house, wonderful garden”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The house is model of its time, sitting alongside the river Nene in Wisbech. It has some lovely furniture. The garden is huge running along the back of adjacent properties, very well tended.

Visited August 2012