“Warm welcome in Wisbech”
Review of Hare and Hounds

Hare and Hounds
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wisbech
Hare and Hounds
Ranked #9 of 12 Wisbech B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Yesterday my wife and I looked for a place to lunch in Wisbech. On a coach trip, a warm day. Very friendly and hard working Landlady. Two excellent salads, one ham one scampi, both very tasty generous portions and excellent vfm. Highly recommended, but get there early as it closes @ 2pm for lunches. The landlady was lovely

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Jethro1948
There are newer reviews for Hare and Hounds

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stayed for one night arriving very late. Jacqui , the owner was very welcoming 'its not the Ritz you know'. True, but then the Ritz doesn't charge £25. No breakfast but essentials were present, Clean crisp bedding, central heating on all night, toasty warm and a good hot shower. Ample coffee. Only gripe would be shared bathroom and no coffee or kettle in room but on the landing outside. Woodchip decor and perhaps corners could do with a dust but for the money this was bang on the money , and with the super friendly welcome would definently come back. Added bonus, its on the best street in town with Peckover house a couple of doors down, great architecture and good parking. I hear the fooods excellent too.

Room Tip: Front over the Brink, def best
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank dhdCambridge
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stopped here for lunch on our way to visit Peckover House. We found a really warm welcome, well cooked and very reasonable food and friendly service. We would certainly return to this pub if we visit Wisbeach in the future

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank patfagence
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I came here with my mother and I thought the new refurbishment was nice and homely and the land lady was very welcoming, staff all round nice and polite. The home made chilli is something special recommended greatly with the chunky chips and stilton and the sweetr chilli chicken panini was enjoyed very much, Both meals were great value for the price and will be going back again soon :-)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank la_m0rgan
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Paying a second visit in as many months to Peckover House we knew to park in the free car park to the rear of the National Trust property. We walked clockwise from the car park as it's nearer. I joked that we could walk through the Hare & Hounds which has a beer garden and rear entrance. We resisted and walked around onto North Brink. National Trust food is now pretty excellent but we decided the Hare & Hounds looked fine and I wanted a nice pint of real ale. We got a couple of pints and I was surprised how reasonable the price was but the beer was flat although a good flavour. We decided to have a pizza despite the 'build your own' complexities. We ordered a ham and mushroom pizza and a pepperoni one. We also ordered one portion of chips. The pizza's were thick and doughey and the pepperoni one only had 8 thin slivers of pepperoni on it. The chips were 'steakhouse' size frozen ones that were undercooked in oil that was too cool so they were soggy as well as soft and uncoloured. We had arrived at 1.50 and last food orders were at 2.00 so we were surprised at 2.20 when a lady came over and suggested we might like another drink in the beer garden which of course we didn't. We hurried our drinks as they seemed to be closing at 2.30 and made for the door which was locked!! We went out of the back door through the beer garden (where the lady was now sitting) and walked into the back street so had to walk all the way round the block again (hence the title!!) I had already told her that we were going to Peckover House but she didn't offer to let us out of the front door which is only 4 or 5 doors away from our destination. Certainly won't be going there again :-(

Room Tip: Didn't stay here, only went for a light meal
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I found this hotel really nice and charming looked like it had just been all re furbished and found it very pleasant! staff were more than helpful, there also did great lunchtime food..very happy with our bargain night stay!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 5, 2011

Recently refurbished in December 2010. Ignore all previous reviews. I stayed her for a week in February. All rooms are newly decorated to a nice standard with new beds and bed linen. Flat screen TV's in each room. Wash stand in room. Shared bathroom which has had complete revamp too. Very good prices at £25 each per night. All doors do close, and lock. Friendly and helpful staff made us feel at home. Old, historic building with quaint features. Nice bar with Elgoods Real Ales, and the usual drinks if you are not into real ale. Ok. so no breakfast supplied but I was informed of that over the telephone on enquiry and the price reflects that. However there are a few cafes and coffee shops in town a three minute walk away. I was given the option of a front door key so I could come and go as I pleased without having to wait for the pub to open, or be back earlyish so as not to be locked out. I would stay here again, and so would my work colleagues.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business