“Decent course,OK accomodation & grub”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St. Neots
Abbotsley Golf Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in St. Neots
Reviewed August 2, 2014

My room was in the new block -Comfortable bed and good bathroom with piping hot water.Public areas show wear from the golfers.
Dinner was fine although the wine list was inadequate as ,other than the cheap house wines, most others listed were either down to one bottle or out of stock.
Great breakfast,full english with cheerful staff.
Good for a golf break-hope to return.

Room Tip: New block have views of the course
1  Thank Silverswimmer

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Thanks for a great weekend of golf, staff very good and rooms Ok, Just a couple of moans about some of the evening meals but you cant please all the people all the time. Both courses a good test of golf, wish I had my camera with me to record the crow on the 8th green going round all the golf bags looking for food it did manage to nick a banana from one of guys bag which raised a laugh with us all back in the Bar.

3  Thank Golffynn2
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I have had the pleasure of visiting Abbotsley Golf Hotel every year for the past 12 years and thought it's about time I left a review. I went up on Thursday afternoon, checked in and then spent the evening in the bar with fellow golfers. There was a selection of food on the menu and I plumped for a chicken curry. This was the worst part of the stay. It was extremely salty and the popadums were very greasy. I would like to point out that other food was ordered (steaks and burgers, etc) and there was no issues with these dishes. This was followed on Friday by a full English, 18 holes, ham egg and chips for lunch and another 18 holes. The course was IMMENSE!!!! It was in fantastic condition and more challenging than ever, with the trees and bushes being quite full. However, even for someone that plays golf very rarely and struggles on an unofficial handicap of 26, it was still very enjoyable. A 3 course meal followed, and there is no complaints from me this time. Another full English was devoured on Saturday morning followed by a swift checking out process. The accommodation was very clean and plenty of towels available. Maid service came on Friday, which I wasn't expecting. I cannot fault the place. All staff are extremely friendly and are more than happy to have a chat. I would have given this visit a 5 if it wasn't for the curry. I strongly recommend you golfers to visit Abbotsley...I am sure if you go once, you will make it a regular event!!

2  Thank Scott L
Reviewed June 10, 2014

A party of 7 of us stayed as my friend was booked for a hovercraft experience at Wyboston Lakes and wanted to bring their dog. I was delighted to find that this hotel allowed dogs and was located near to the venue.

Checking in was a confusion with reception. We then found a bees nest outside of my sons room with swarming bees around the room entrance and garden. Our room was located in the annex on the front of the building and was spacious and very clean a TV and hairdryer. The bathroom was very basic with only shower gel/shampoo in a main dispenser in the bathroom and no conditioner or soap.

The outside courtyard was appealing as it was in a sunny location but frequently used as a smoking area even though there is a purpose built gazebo.

The bar was incredibly noisy in the evening with a private party. The following day, Sunday morning we enjoyed a good cooked breakfast but did arrive at the latter part of the breakfast period at 9.45am when the service finished at 10am, there was practically no buffet left only bread for toast and the dining room tables all had dirty crockery which we had to ask to be cleared away.

I understand that this hotel is designed for golfers but is more of a bed and breakfast experience which for £100 for double room, £80 for a single does not offer the service or few extras required. In my opinion the price should be significantly reduced.

Room Tip: I would avoid the courtyard area unless the bees nest has been removed. Lower rooms in the man anne...
3  Thank florence034
Reviewed May 28, 2014

A group of between 8 and 16 of us has been coming for many years for a few days and generally thoroughly enjoy our stay. The long-term staff are excellent and helpful, and the course is great.
Rooms are clean and fine for our needs, but the internet needs upgrading from the erratic 'free' Cloud wifi (you'll be spammed forever if you enter your real email address). 3g and 4g are no good as it's a long way from built up areas.
The only real gripe we've had over the years has been the standard of the food. Breakfast and bar lunches are good, but the dinner has been variable. Personally I have been OK with dinner up until now but I regret to say that this year was dreadful.
The problem is with the main course. For the first time this year there were only 3, not the usual 6 or so choices. On day 1 most of us had the fish or chicken which in both cases was very overcooked and in what seemed to be the same yellowy watery sauce.
We complained and was told that for the next 2 days the head chef would be back and things would be fine - unfortunately though, they were worse. Duck perched on broccoli swimming in a sort of soft fruit mash is a taste I never want to experience again.
So I would only give it 1 star for the evening meal, but that's a great shame as otherwise I'd give it 5.
I'll be back again, hopefully for many years, but only if I know the food at dinner is better - most golfers are happy with 'pub grub' style and that would be easy!

Room Tip: Main building, at the back is best.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank tonywLondon
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I don't play golf. I'd like to, and one day, when I stay here again, I will. The location is gorgeous. Miles, acres, hectares of rolling golf courses. No idea what class the courses are but to my untrained eyes it looked like a lovely place to play. Lots of other gentlemen, most who were at least ten years older than me, appeared to agree. Genteel, with pine. The rooms were nice and clean and quiet. Nothing amazing but certainly great value for money and nothing to complain about. WiFi? Well... they've got it, but its poor... didn't work for me in the bar or room or anywhere else.
Luckily I have 4G so wasn't concerned. Annika, the black and white "corgi" was a nice fixture of the bar, as was the friendly and happy to serve staff. Lots of "hellos" and "smiles". I'll be back, probably almost every week for the next year. So I recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank MikeFromEdinburgh
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Stay for one night , so much disappointment ! , Wi-fi didn't work, staff in the morning not helpful at all, breakfast was late and not even tasty,3 star hotel i ve expected a higher standards I wouldn't recommended to anyone

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Premier Inn St. Neots (Colmworth Park) Hotel
The Whitehouse Guesthouse
The Whitehouse Guesthouse
#1 of 3 in St. Neots

Been to Abbotsley Golf Hotel? Share your experiences!