Tripadvisor
St. Neots
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed January 18, 2020 via mobile

Being local I could see they were doing a major refurbishment to the Eaton Oak and was excited to pay a visit to try the food and enjoy the new decor. I had been in for a drink previously and admired the excellent job they had done to both the interior and exterior of the place.

My friend chose a rump steak from the menu and I went for the jackfruit burger. For £13.50, I must admit I did expect something special! My burger arrived and looked squashed (which when I enquired I was advised that it came with a gluten free bun), accompanied by a small portion of chips in a can and some Asian slaw which was just a small portion of dry chopped up peppers. The burger had bbq jackfruit and a lettuce leaf (kinda thought it might have a bit more to it) it made the plate look empty. It was very mediocre at best.

My friend had ordered thick cut steak chips to go with the steak instead of the fries. When it turned up it had the fries!

I have to say the service we got from the last who served us was really the only good thing about our experience.

I can just hope that they turn things around and care a little more about what they are serving to customers and also about how it is presented.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed January 5, 2020 via mobile

We were visiting family and were taken for lunch here. They had had Christmas lunch here following the refurb.
New and modern exterior, huge car park with patio area and outdoor tables, large conservatory type dining area which is where we were seated.
Greeted in a friendly manner, very young waiting staff who should be trained properly- pleasant enough but not confident with diners.
We ordered drinks which came promptly and placed our food order. 3 Sunday roasts and a sausage and mash. The 2 beef lunches came with the most enormous carrot and broccoli- they were huge!! I’ve never seen vegetables that size. All the dinners had these same size vegetables!! The lunch was just OK, lukewarm food which is not pleasant. Roast beef was £17. We asked for horseradish and was brought a jar with a spoon!!! Later I saw the next table with a jar of the same - he helped himself to the jar, licked his fork and went back into the jar. Great way to spread germs!!!!
I wouldn’t chose to go back.

Reviewed January 5, 2020 via mobile

Very pleasantly surprised by the refurbishment,the friendly welcome by the staff overall a very good impression. My wife and and I ordered different starters both were excellent. My wife ordered the half roast chicken and I ordered the roast belly of pork both dishes were cooked perfectly, however the presentation was a little off it lacked some finesse with a large chunk of broccoli and half an extra large carrot on the plate. If a little thought had been put into the presentation of the main course then the overall experience would have been perfect. I have to say we will return to try the restaurant menu again.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 25, 2019

Unfortunately not so good.
My beer was ok, my wife ordered a Latte and got a Mocca. She went back and reordered and still it was wrong.
My daughters drink was awful so she left it.
Christmas day should have been a nice event but it wasn't.
My stepson ate here the day before and unfortunately that wasn't so good either.
Can't recommend and we will not return

Date of stay: December 2019
Reviewed December 10, 2019

Visited with friends and family after hearing about the lovely re vamp. An excellent job done on the re furb . Very tastefully done and comfortable. Staff efficient and friendly. Lovely smiles on the waitresses faces and service good and quick. On to the food. The reason for our visit.
5 of us eating decided to all have a different starter and mains to give everything a try! My mini ribs were very nice. Soft pork in the middle and crunchie outside although the crackling served with it was too hard to eat. The others had crab balls which they said did not have much flavour and were over cooked. The bubble and squeak reserved with a runny poached egg was stone cold. We returned this but it then meant we had all eaten and been cleared by the time it was re served. I had the pulled brisket pie with mash. This was lovely although a little dry but was served with jug of gravy. The burger was a disgrace. We all tried it and decided the meat was off it just tasted bad. Sent it back, was offered alternative but our friend was put off by now. My husband curry was also sent back. Chicken was fatty and tough. The half chicken with Asian slaw was really a boned out chicken with salad certainly not a type of coleslaw.
Real shame will not visit again for some time. Maybe get themselves settled

Date of stay: December 2019