Tripadvisor
St. Neots
Post
Inbox
Search

“Ignored for 20 mins..need to buy a dog.”

Elsie May's Electric Lounge
Ranked #31 of 99 Restaurants in St. Neots
Description: Opened in December 2018, Elsie May’s Electric Lounge is a new family-run café and bar located just off the Market Square, bringing back a taste of history to St Neots, complete with delicious food, tasty drinks and comfy seats. The building was purposely built in 1927 and opened in 1929 as the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, and Huntingdonshire Electricity Company Showroom. This building was designed to show off the wonders of electricity and to try to convince people that gas powered lamps were a thing of the past. We believe this is why BC & HE Co. made a statement with this building with high ceilings, oak parquet floors and large windows which we have tried our best to restore and bring back to life for everyone to enjoy. Since then, the building has been a job centre, nightclub and an amusement arcade. Now the building is a family run café and bar, named after the owner’s grandmother, Elsie May, who always dreamt of having her own tea room one day.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We popped in here for a late lunch, arriving about 1420 hrs. We took a table and waited to be served. And waited. And waited.

The sign by the door says take a seat and the staff will come and see you. They didn't.

After about ten minutes my husband walked up to the counter and looked for a menu... eventually he found them. The staff still ignored us.

We sat at the table for another ten minutes or so getting more and more annoyed...unable to catch any of the staff's eye long enough to order.

A couple who came in after us has a tiny dog...the staff were busy oohing and ahhing over the dog and completely missed us.
They also missed the couple who had been sat at the table before us. We realised that had not had anything to eat either, leaving after also being ignored, so at least it wasn't just us that was ignored....

We got up to leave, thinking they would come rushing over, however it was not to be. They were too busy getting drinks for the couple with the tiny dog.

So, the lesson. If you want to get food service here...buy a dog.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (59)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I met here with friends for tea & coffee. We sat by the window to watch the world go by but soon forgot to look as the ambience just takes you elsewhere! It's a spacious area, tastefully decorated and accessorised. Lovely to find out it's also a dog friendly venue and a couple of our K9 friends were enjoying tidbits and fussing.
My only criticism is that they only had Redbush tea in decaf which is an acquired taste and I personally can't stand! It would have been nice to have a choice like earl grey for example. The steps up also proved to be challenging for mums with pushchairs but the steps are very much a feature of the building so not sure what can be done to change this.
I remember this as the old job centre and I honestly was dreading going as I wasn't sure how it was going to have shaped up into a teashop & bar but I was honestly, pleasantly surprised and look forward to going back. I'm happy to recommend this venue.

Date of visit: January 2020
ElsiemaysEL, Chef at Elsie May's Electric Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi, thank you so much for the lovely feedback - I'll pass it on to the team.

Thanks for your feedback about the tea too. As well as Redbush, we do a lovely Rhubarb Spritzer and Ginger Candy Apple tea that is decaffeinated and they are both made with dried fruit.

We also have ramp access around the side for anyone who has a pushchair - just ring the bell on the front of the building and we'll let you through the gate.

Reviewed January 5, 2020 via mobile

I was looking forward to lunch here as I’d heard good things. Sadly from the moment we walked in the service was poor, not terrible, but still a let down. We walk in and no one guided us as to if we just sit down or wait to be seated, not even a hello from the many staff members. We eventually just grabbed a table. We waited a long time for menus and eventually a waitress took our order. Our food came and despite making it very clear that I couldn’t eat certain food, my order had to be redone as they had covered the plate in food I was allergic to. The waitress was very helpful and did immediately rectify this. My mother’s food was also wrong (cheese and ham not cheese and tomato), but she didn’t mind too much so just ate it. We were not given cutlery and had to ask. We were then not given napkins and had to ask. The food was really nice once it arrived :-)
At the end of this visit, despite the poor service I went to enquire about the private room they have for a small function. All they could tell me was the cost of the room. They couldn’t tell me if it was available, how much afternoon tea would be or even have a little look at it. I was told prices are “probably” online. I appreciate that maybe they were busy, but they could have asked me to call later or even take my number. They didn’t seem interested at all.
Overall, not terrible, but certainly not great.

Date of visit: January 2020
ElsiemaysEL, Owner at Elsie May's Electric Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2020

Hi, thanks for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor and sorry you felt the experience was a bit of a let down. We have been incredibly busy these past few days and the staff are normally very efficient and friendly so sorry you'd didn't feel this was the case when you visited. If you would like to come and try us again, we'd be very happy to see you and I will pass your feedback on to the team.

Reviewed January 4, 2020

A friend and I decided to try out this cafe for breakfast and we were impressed by the quality of the food, the prompt service and the beautiful setting. I highly recommended the croissants with salmon and cream cheese! The building also has a fascinating history summarised inside of the first page of the menu. With regards to the service please note that we arrived around 09:30am and at that time there was only one other customer. I will definitely be visiting again.

Date of visit: January 2020

Hi, thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor and for the lovely feedback - I shall pass your comments on to the team :-)

Reviewed December 10, 2019

A fantastic place to go! I’ve been multiple times to either revise, chat and have a coffee with friends and even the evening for cocktails! I am always welcomed and accommodated so well here and the staff are super friendly. Their coffee is divine and they have a great choice of alternative milk for all diet requirements as well as their baked goods; some of the cakes are the best I’ve ever had and they have vegan and GF I always feel like I get my money’s worth here and they do make sure you are fed. The evenings are great also with real freshly made cocktails that are worth the small wait! Great barmen who clearly are passionate about what they are making. I love it here! The cafe/bar itself has a beautiful atmosphere and looks great. I recommend to all (oh and try their cheese and dessert platters in the evening - I nearly died and went to heaven) x

Date of visit: November 2019

Thanks for the lovely comments Raffan and taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We shall look forward to seeing you again soon.