“Outstanding Saturday dinner”

Ranked #3 of 83 Restaurants in St. Neots
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Set in the picturesque village of Offord D'Arcy between St Neots and Godmanchester, The Horseshoe Inn Restaurant successfully combines an old village pub and a gourmet restaurant. Known locally as The 'Shoe, the 395-year old period building has been extended but retains much of the original features and charm. The bars offer both low ceilings and rustic style, with exposed beams with Inglenook fireplaces. The frequently changing menu allows you to experience internationally influenced dishes such as Thai green curry or fillet steak with potato rosti, spinach and a blue cheese and brandy sauce. Dishes often carry a wine recommendation on the menu to help you choose the right selection. For an average of $25 per person, you can enjoy a three-course meal here, and should you choose something you don't like, they will offer you another choice! The Horseshoe appears to be lucky after all!
St. Neots, United Kingdom
“Outstanding Saturday dinner”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My wife and I had a little reason to celebrate and hadnt been to the Horseshoe for some time. It was excellent ; the food,the service and the price. Looking forward to our next visit ; we wont leave it so long. Keep up the great work. Thank you

• Visited March 2013

Buckden, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Arrived off the cuff with family including a small child and we were made to feel very welcome even though we landed very close to last orders for the kitchen. Superb lunch in a very nice unhurried atmosphere. Will definitely return the next time we have the luxury of a day off !!

• Visited March 2013
Thank Mike .
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great Sunday lunch”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Really enjoyed Sunday lunch here. The carvery was excellent - the chef was happy for us to have a bit of each meat as we couldn't decide which looked nicest (lamb, beef and pork with crackling).

Service was good, choice of veg was fab, drinks were quick to arrive. I had irish cream bread and butter pudding for dessert which was really nice. We took our time eating and had coffees afterwards and didn't feel rushed.

The restaurant was quite busy, so probably best to book. Definitely recommend for Sunday carvery, brilliant value for £11.95.

St.Neots, Cambs.
“Okay, but . . .”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We've eaten here several times over the past five years, and had no real 'wow' recollection, but we tried it again yesterday - a Thursday lunchtime. The staff and welcome were fine, and we where soon shown to our table. After giving our order we waited about thirty minutes for the meals to arrive, but that's okay it's what we expect if food is being cooked for us and not microwaved. My wife ordered the belly pork, and I ordered chicken Maryland with a portion of chips.

So, the meals. My wife described hers as all right, but nothing special. Mine wasn't so hot - literally. The lukewarm chips were served in a cold dish and the main part of the meal on a cold plate. The Maryland consisted of two pieces of chicken (very nice) a piece of cardboard bacon (tough to cut), two pieces of banana fritter (again very nice, although they could have been hotter) and a plate of sweetcorn and chopped raw red onion. The onion wasn't mentioned on the menu, and as I don't like onion in any form it completely ruined the sweetcorn. I feel sure that if the chips had have had some heat in them they would have been very nice, but they weren't.

When (after the meal) we were asked 'how was it' I commented on the onion and the waiter did say he would raise it with the kitchen.

All in all a disappointment, I certainly get much a better standard and value at my local pub, and won't be rushing back to The 'Shoe.

I have just read what I've written above to my wife and her comment was 'Yes, that's fair.'

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank JMc959
Ian K, Owner at The Horseshoe Restaurant, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear JMc959,
No excuses, this was just was not good enough. It happens incredibly rarely, but not much comfort when you are the one disappointed. Our waiter(s) should have picked up that things were not right and should have arranged immediate remedy. Our server should have detected the cool plates. I'm very sorry we did not do well on this one and I really hope you can give us another chance.
Cork/London
“Excellent Food, charming staff, warm friendly atmosphere - must return!”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We recently enjoyed a very memorable dining experience at The Horseshoe.
Upon arrival we were greeted by the owner who served us at the bar –situated adjacent to a real fire, which was delightfully warm and welcoming.
The staff are very attentive and knowledgeable about the ‘winter menu’.
10 out of 10 for the food! Very reasonable wine selection – old and new world.
This is one of the best country pub dining experiences I have ever had. A repeat is a must!!!
Excellent value !!

Please continue – you are doing a great job!

• Visited January 2013