Sheene Mill
Very Good 4/5
  • Room Service
Duxford Lodge(Duxford)
Good 3.5/5
The Crown House(Great Chesterford)
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsmagical weddingwedding coordinatorstunning venuewedding venuebirthday lunchbridal suitecooked to perfectionafternoon teathe riverreception areacomfy bedsingle roomemmaserenamillpondconservatoryroyston
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We stayed at The Sheen, as we wanted to be close to Cambridge, yet in a nice quiet rural / village atmosphere. The Sheen exceeded our expectations in most ways.
Our room, the David Emanuel room was very nice. A spacious room with beautiful decor ( designed by David Emanuel). The Food would have to rate as first class with it being such a high standard in both the quality of its cooking and it's presentation.
The staff made us feel very welcome, especially John (from the kitchen) who all helped to make our stay so memorable. Thank you all for such a pleasant stay.
Our only negative comment is due to the Hotel adding an "optional 'Service Fee' of 10% to the Restaurant fee........this has taken the shine off what was an awesome stay.
I found this to be extremely 'cheeky' for the establishment ( any establishment) to assume that I would pay a tip and automatically add this to my bill.
I had these ( one for each nights meals) removed and suggested to the Receptionist ( who was one of the staff who gave us exceptional service during our stay ) that I had intended to tip because we had had such a pleasant stay....and this tip I would have offered to the staff directly, not to be added to an overall bill that may or may not reach those who I actually wanted it to.
I also may have wanted to give more or less than a 10% tip to various members due to the amount of Service / contact we had with each individual.....regardless, it should be for the guest to decide whether or not to tip...not for it to be automatically add / assumed.
I appreciate that adding it to the bill is an easier method to pay....and this should be offered should the customer wish to tip, again not automatically add.
For us, this took the shine off what was otherwise a wonderful stay, in a wonderful Hotel, in a wonderful village......and we will try to book in again when we next visit the UK.

Room Tip: Check your bill for 'optional' fees
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed at Sheen Mill in June 2014. The hotel is a quaint English country style hotel with a stream and ducks/swans. The staff are very friendly and on a lovely summers day it was very picturesque. We are at a wedding (not at Sheen Mill) so had a quick drink there before heading to the wedding. We asked for some bar snacks and crisps and were given 2 small bowls (about 10cm in diameter) of crisps, I am presumed handmade crisps, some were not crunchy but later found out from our bill they were £1.50 a bowl. The crisps were very average and at that price would have preferred a bag of Kettle crisps or similar! The staff leave at 1am so there is no room service or bar opened, plus there are 2 bottles of water/tea coffee in the room and no mini bar. So with no mini bar/hotel closes and no staff then you have to wait till breakfast for any food or additional water. The rooms however need seriously updated, it was like staying in an elderly persons room, tiny bathroom, dark, avocado bathroom suite, slightly fraying carpet, no aircon (however there was a fan in the cupboard. There was a dressing table with mirror and hairdryer which gave put lets watts then the fan. I tried to plug my own hair styling appliances in near the mirror however there was no plug sockets nearby and their hairdryer plug socket was behind a fixed partition. The bed however was very big and comfortable. Would I go back? yes for lunch, no to staying overnight.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank misskh75
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Just a note to thank you and your ‘team’ for a very pleasant lunch yesterday, good food and good, friendly service and a delightful ambience.
Well it had to be 200 minimum!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Procter H
Reviewed May 30, 2014

stayed at Sheene Mill for a wedding celebration, lovely location overlooking a large lake, food was very good, friendly staff. we stayed overnight, as did a lot of the other guests, only thing the room we had at the top of the hotel, which had great view, had no stand up shower only a hand shower head over the bath. But we had a really nice time. Definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank allyabbs
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My two friends and I went to Sheene Mill for lunch last Friday. It was the second time my friends had been and my first. The setting is really beautiful with a river and lots of bird life including a very grumpy swan.. The menu was slightly confusing with little stars signifying the special offer two and three course lunch deals. But the staff explained it to us and we worked it out. I think just an extra sheet with the itemised specials would be easier.

The food when it arrived was absolutely delicious. I was very very impressed . I had a Lemon Possett for dessert and it was the best dessert I have ever had ... I am going to be cheeky and pop in and ask for the recipe. The service was great and the staff friendly. We had a lovely time and I can't wait to go back.
Top place... well done

Room Tip: River View
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends