“Exquisite meal in an intimate little restaurant outside Cambridge”
Review of Sycamore House - CLOSED

Sycamore House
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were invited to celebrate a birthday, sixteen of us in total, taking over the entire restaurant. Having sixteen for lunch at the same time did not phase MIchael and Susan, the owners, at all - every course was served to perfection, and tasted as good as it looked. Beautiful salmon, then an "amuse bouche", very refreshing; followed by a perfectly cooked crown of lamb with delicious veggies; several choices for dessert - I chose the brandy basket (hand-made) with lemon meringue ice cream - heaven on a plate!
The wines were served at exactly the correct temperature.
I could not recommend this wonderful little restaurant more highly.

2  Thank Narguesse M

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have been visiting this restaurant for over 20 years and have never had a bad meal. Michael and Susan Sharpe do a tremendous job of cooking and serving everyone who goes to their intimate restaurant, which is sited in an old cottage in the village of Little Shelford. Little Shelford is situated just outside of Cambridge city, and I would thoroughly recommend a visit if you are staying in the Cambridge area.

The restaurant is open Wednesday to Saturday for dinner - they do not do lunches, and I would describe it as suitable for a romantic dinner for two or a quiet dinner with friends. The menu is very small (which I prefer), with usually 4 choices of each of the starter, main course and dessert. The food is freshly prepared by Michael, tastes excellent every time, and there is always a vegetarian option on the menu. The wine list is also excellent and not too pricey.

On my last visit this week with friends, I had Spaghetti with chorizo to start which was very tasty, followed by Partridge in a Port and Redcurrant sauce served with cubed roasted potatoes, cabbage and a mash of Swede and Carrot, also delicious. To finish I had a marmalade sponge pudding with vanilla custard - the sponge was very light. I do not normally have puddings but always make an exception here! We had a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc to drink and then a New Zealand Pinot Noir. The Pinot Noir was exceptional and the best I have ever tasted but not too expensive.

The only very minor negative comment would be that it sometimes feels a little cool in the restaurant so you may wish to wear something warmer, particularly in the winter.

We look forward to many more visits to Sycamore House in the future. They also now have a website.

2  Thank Jill N
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Been coming here for over 10 years and the excellent standard of cuisine, quality service and relaxing surroundings has never faltered. Don't change a thing.

2  Thank I K
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Michael Sharp and his wife offer a quiet and relaxed atmosphere in which to enjoy Michael's delicious menus. A firm favourite over the years which will not disappoint. Seasonal ingredients personally prepared with a lovely selection of wines to choose from. Very reasonably priced.

2  Thank Oguh_56
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This restaurant has a tremendous local following. We had meant to visit for a while but it never came off - until our recent visit. It is a curious set up - a husband and wife team with one other staff member serving 3 course dinners in what can best be described as their house. The atmosphere is VERY British - slightly reserved, dowdy decor and whispered conversations. And the food was also British - competent with whiffs of aspiration and mountains of vegetables cooked as we have come to love on this "Isle of Wonder". The majority of us settled for the Duck which sadly didn't echo the clarion call sounded by the reviews - a tad overcooked hence tough in places. It was perfectly edible but our expectations were not met. The wine list was a joy and fairly priced. We will return as the place is a real jewel and deserves to be well supported in an area where the dreaded chain restaurants dominate the city of Cambridge.