“Great food, friendly staff, good beer”
Review of The Navigator

The Navigator
Cuisines: Thai, Bar
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed February 19, 2014

An excellent combination of traditional Thai food combined with a traditional English pub.
It shouldn't work but it works very well...the food is sublime and the beer is always very good.
Proper English pub atmosphere with a bit of a difference..look out for the special days/ nights where you can see the beautiful Thai dancers!
Great staff and good for parties as will as intimate dinners. I am so lucky to have this place close to me!

1  Thank Jo T

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I booked this pub after reading the good reviews and been very disappointed.
The service is very bad, you need to go to bar to get your drinks, or if you order any,it takes ages to arrive at your table.
The platter for two, consists of deep fried broccoli, pepper and other vegetables with only a couple of nice things. The deep fry is the same as the fish&chips butter and tests awful.
The main course is big portion of poor quality regardless of what you order.
Did not enjoy the food and will never go back.

1  Thank flori0
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

We've been to the Navigator three times now and the fact that we have returned shows that it's pretty decent. The food has been consistently tasty and reasonable value (they have especially good deals midweek) but nothing special. I particularly like their sharing platter to start- great value at £5 each and lots of variety.
On our most recent visit however we were very disappointed with the poor service. We had to really try to get a waitress to come near our table and felt actively ignored at times. At the end of our meal, the waitress failed to bring us our £14 change which was rather presumptive. When asked for it, rather than apologising she looked cross and reluctantly returned the £5 change we asked for. This was disappointing as it put a downer on an otherwise pleasant meal. I realise that it was a busy Saturday night but that behaviour was poor regardless. The service was much better on previous visits.
The atmosphere was good. We were sitting in the bar area and the restaurant section would have better. If going at the weekend then ring a few days in advance to book a table.

1  Thank Eemacdee
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We are regulars of the Navigator and often take our favoured customers there. The pub is set just off the road in a typical old English House. The seating is a little bit on the cramped side but that's the only criticism I can make. Mark and Wendy are always warm and polite and make us feel at home.

The food is essentially Thai dishes with a wide selection for vegetarians, like myself. The menus have a "chilli" indicator to say how hot the dish is. The more you get the hotter it is. Two chillies is my limit but over the years they've kindly made some of the hotter dishes specially milder to allow me to sample them without exploding. And all of them have been delicious. The choice of dishes is huge and there is normally a black board against the wall with another 5 or so special dishes.

The service is usually fast and somewhat remarkable given the number of people eating there. The place is often packed and if there are more than a two of you I'd recommend booking a table otherwise you're likely to be disappointed. There is normally a choice from 6 beer pumps, 3 of which are guest beers and change regularly.

Being able to have a pint and such good food at less than £15 a head represents excellent value for money.

2  Thank Tony E
Reviewed January 9, 2014

My wife, daughter and I called in to The Navigator for lunch on a Friday lunchtime at 1 o'clock having not reserved a table. We were lucky to get one of the last tables. Between us we ordered a Massaman chicken curry, a spicy stir fry chicken dish and one of the day's specials; prawns and scallops. Each dish was delicious. Service was slick and friendly. Price was very reasonable, especially considering the quality of each dish. Taking these together there is no reason to give less than five stars. Highly recommended for a Thai-food lunch.

2  Thank DavidBCambridgeUK