“Great pub B&B”

The Crown Inn, Linton
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Linton
The Crown Inn, Linton
Ranked #2 of 2 Linton B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Our 2 night stay here was fantastic.. Fantastically enthusiastic friendly host & staff. Clean, compact room accessed via outside stairs. Great breakfast included with wide selection food menu plus a superb real ale & lager selection for the evening. In a great village location with other pubs & shops within a few minutes walk. Parked the car & left it! One day we took the bus about 30/40 min into Cambridge. Next day we enjoyed a lovely couple of mile country walk over the hill to Chillford Hall winery, for lunch & wine tasting.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 30, 2013

When I read the bad reviews about this place I was suprised as the experience I had was the complete opposite! The staff were friendly and welcoming,The rooms were cozy and a pleasure to stay in. Although the rooms were small that's not what was promised so if you wanted a bigger room you should have chosen someone else and should have been less fussy! The landlord was lovely and friendly! I really recomend it for a good place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Went to The Crown as we were going to the wine tour at Chilford Hall. Very friendly staff. Access gained to room was by going outside and walking down to a steel staircase which lead up to the gallery where the rooms were. OK if weather fine but no way to avoid getting a soaking if weather poor. We were in room 2 next to the staff room. Room was dated, bed was comfy enough but the whole thing squeaked if you s much as looked at it. When the washing machine was on a spin cycle in the staff room the floor shook - bathroom access down to steep steps and again needed a complete overhaul, . Everywhere was clean and tidy plenty of tea coffee etc and biccies. Had a very good meal in the evening in very nicely decorated restaurant and very good waiter. Adjourned to the bar for drinks after meal same lady behind the bar who had checked us in and she was still just as cheerful. We were the only guests that night but every effort still made for our breakfast plenty of cereals juice tea and coffee and very good full english (delicious sausage) All in all pretty good but I think it could have been mentioned about the steel outside stairs and steos down to bathroom when the room was booked,

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Went for lunch with groupbof friends. Table(s) reserved were at back. Not joined up. When food (beef sandwich) came I was stunned! 2 slices of bread (thin) with what looked a 1/2 slice of beef between the bread. Meat looked like it was bought from chilled section in supermarket. (Could have been). Tasted worse. Crappy bit of salad not even a full tomatoe or a thin slice of cucumber. Actually it was shocking. Very expensive, certainly not value for money, i could have made it myself for about 50p. Even the chips on side were frozen. Not go here again. Normally i give a fair view but i could not even think of anything nice about it. Oh yes the company i went with was nice.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed in this pub 22nd June as we were on a vineyard tour/wine tasting/lunch at Chilford Hall, we parked up at the pub in the morning and walked to the vineyard 2miles away. Got back to the pub at around 2pm and then checked in.
Access to our room was via the outside stairs, there's a small terrace of table and chairs at the back but unfortunately the weather wasn't good enough to enjoy the peace and quiet.
Room itself was rather compact with dated furnishings which was in need of modernising but was clean and everything worked.
Linton village itself has a few nice shops and there are two other pubs and a Indian restaurant nearby, but don't bother the food in the pub was up to five star standard and absolutely delicious and the bar staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast in the morning was the best full English I had tasted in along time.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2013

(Stayed 30May) Having stopped at a Travelodge the night before (see review) we went on a vineyard tour/wine tasting/lunch at Chilford Hall (highly recommended). We'd already parked up at the pub in the morning and walked to the vineyard (2miles away). Got back to the pub at around 2pm and checked in. Got to our room via the outside stairs. There's a small terrace just at the top of the stairs with a table to sit at, but unfortunately the weather wasn't good enough. Room itself was rather compact with dated furnishings but things like that don't bother me. It was clean and everything worked. Lots and lots of TV channels to choose from which I did like. Only real negative was the mattress, which was rather lumpy and compounded my back ache from the previous night.

Linton village itself has a few nice shops and there are two other pubs and a Tandoori restaurant. There is a good bus service to Cambridge and the bus stop is a short walk away on the main road. This was a good choice as the traffic in Cambridge was atrocious.

The pub advertized a curry night on Thursdays but it had been changed to Tapas that night. There is a normal menu but I'm rather partial to tapas so we had a selection (5 for £18) and they were very very good. Should have had more actually.

Next morning we'd arranged to have breakfast at 9am and it was buffet style and plenty of it. Average fare, but there were some fresh strawberries which I really enjoyed as I'm not really an English breakfast person anyway.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Most of the previous reviews for this restaurant are quite good but for my family we experienced something very different. We chose the restaurant as a middle location and had also had a recommendation too.
The restaurant itself is set in the village location of Linton which is very beautiful and the exterior/interior of The Crown is also dry pleasing to the eye - a rustic contemporary look which seems to be very in vogue at the moment. Unfortunately everything else did not seem to meet up with the same expectation related to the location and decor.
The restaurant was very cold and drafty which left us sitting in our coats for most of the meal, I did try to see where the draft was coming from but other than the door being left open once I couldn't really work it out. My advice would be to wrap up warm if you visit in colder months.
Their was one waitress throughout the whole of our sitting, whilst the restaurant wasn't really busy we did notice long periods without drink refills and plates left. Even when Teresa was with us she didn't know answers to key questions and did misinform us a couple of times. Admittedly she was very kind and sweet but I believe the restaurant is at fault for having only one waitress and an inexperienced one at that.
We had a really wobbly table which my mum questioned when they arrived and we were told it was the floor! It was not the floor, the table was shabby chic but unfortunately the shabbiness was going against it - but again Teresa did not seem at all concerned about or discomfort. The wobbly table is the 6 seater table on the top left of the restaurant as you walk in so avoid this one if you can.

All the above is bearable and forgiveable but what isn't is the tasteless warmed up food that was served to us. We go to restaurants to enjoy food that is cooked up for us otherwise we would all just cook for ourselves. Unfortunately I would have rather cooked myself for my family as my food is ten times better than what was served up.

I had the chicken, leek and mushroom pie which had no season and tasted of nothing - I believe any food probably tastes better then the and I only had about four pieces of chicken in the whole thing.
The other meals purchased were the beef roast dinner apparently cooked as you like it. There were no differences between the meat, all well done and dry. The Yorkshire puddings were hard and dry and I actually believe that all the food was pre-cooked and warmed up pre service. The roast dinners really weren't very good, the Toby carvery our have been a much better choice.

If you want tasteless food and a slow unhelpful service then this is the place to go. We would not go back to this restaurant -ever!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mimseymo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Linton
Travelodge Cambridge Fourwentways
#1 of 2 in Bartlow
The Black Bull Balsham
The Black Bull Balsham
#1 of 2 in Balsham

Been to The Crown Inn, Linton? Share your experiences!