“Sandwich /bagette looked shop bought.”

The Crown Inn, Linton
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Linton
The Crown Inn, Linton
Ranked #2 of 2 Linton B&B and Inns
Nottingham
“Sandwich /bagette looked shop bought.”
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Went for lunch with groupbof friends. Table(s) reserved were at back. Not joined up. When food (beef sandwich) came I was stunned! 2 slices of bread (thin) with what looked a 1/2 slice of beef between the bread. Meat looked like it was bought from chilled section in supermarket. (Could have been). Tasted worse. Crappy bit of salad not even a full tomatoe or a thin slice of cucumber. Actually it was shocking. Very expensive, certainly not value for money, i could have made it myself for about 50p. Even the chips on side were frozen. Not go here again. Normally i give a fair view but i could not even think of anything nice about it. Oh yes the company i went with was nice.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed in this pub 22nd June as we were on a vineyard tour/wine tasting/lunch at Chilford Hall, we parked up at the pub in the morning and walked to the vineyard 2miles away. Got back to the pub at around 2pm and then checked in.
Access to our room was via the outside stairs, there's a small terrace of table and chairs at the back but unfortunately the weather wasn't good enough to enjoy the peace and quiet.
Room itself was rather compact with dated furnishings which was in need of modernising but was clean and everything worked.
Linton village itself has a few nice shops and there are two other pubs and a Indian restaurant nearby, but don't bother the food in the pub was up to five star standard and absolutely delicious and the bar staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast in the morning was the best full English I had tasted in along time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincoln
Reviewed June 11, 2013

(Stayed 30May) Having stopped at a Travelodge the night before (see review) we went on a vineyard tour/wine tasting/lunch at Chilford Hall (highly recommended). We'd already parked up at the pub in the morning and walked to the vineyard (2miles away). Got back to the pub at around 2pm and checked in. Got to our room via the outside stairs. There's a small terrace just at the top of the stairs with a table to sit at, but unfortunately the weather wasn't good enough. Room itself was rather compact with dated furnishings but things like that don't bother me. It was clean and everything worked. Lots and lots of TV channels to choose from which I did like. Only real negative was the mattress, which was rather lumpy and compounded my back ache from the previous night.

Linton village itself has a few nice shops and there are two other pubs and a Tandoori restaurant. There is a good bus service to Cambridge and the bus stop is a short walk away on the main road. This was a good choice as the traffic in Cambridge was atrocious.

The pub advertized a curry night on Thursdays but it had been changed to Tapas that night. There is a normal menu but I'm rather partial to tapas so we had a selection (5 for £18) and they were very very good. Should have had more actually.

Next morning we'd arranged to have breakfast at 9am and it was buffet style and plenty of it. Average fare, but there were some fresh strawberries which I really enjoyed as I'm not really an English breakfast person anyway.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Most of the previous reviews for this restaurant are quite good but for my family we experienced something very different. We chose the restaurant as a middle location and had also had a recommendation too.
The restaurant itself is set in the village location of Linton which is very beautiful and the exterior/interior of The Crown is also dry pleasing to the eye - a rustic contemporary look which seems to be very in vogue at the moment. Unfortunately everything else did not seem to meet up with the same expectation related to the location and decor.
The restaurant was very cold and drafty which left us sitting in our coats for most of the meal, I did try to see where the draft was coming from but other than the door being left open once I couldn't really work it out. My advice would be to wrap up warm if you visit in colder months.
Their was one waitress throughout the whole of our sitting, whilst the restaurant wasn't really busy we did notice long periods without drink refills and plates left. Even when Teresa was with us she didn't know answers to key questions and did misinform us a couple of times. Admittedly she was very kind and sweet but I believe the restaurant is at fault for having only one waitress and an inexperienced one at that.
We had a really wobbly table which my mum questioned when they arrived and we were told it was the floor! It was not the floor, the table was shabby chic but unfortunately the shabbiness was going against it - but again Teresa did not seem at all concerned about or discomfort. The wobbly table is the 6 seater table on the top left of the restaurant as you walk in so avoid this one if you can.

All the above is bearable and forgiveable but what isn't is the tasteless warmed up food that was served to us. We go to restaurants to enjoy food that is cooked up for us otherwise we would all just cook for ourselves. Unfortunately I would have rather cooked myself for my family as my food is ten times better than what was served up.

I had the chicken, leek and mushroom pie which had no season and tasted of nothing - I believe any food probably tastes better then the and I only had about four pieces of chicken in the whole thing.
The other meals purchased were the beef roast dinner apparently cooked as you like it. There were no differences between the meat, all well done and dry. The Yorkshire puddings were hard and dry and I actually believe that all the food was pre-cooked and warmed up pre service. The roast dinners really weren't very good, the Toby carvery our have been a much better choice.

If you want tasteless food and a slow unhelpful service then this is the place to go. We would not go back to this restaurant -ever!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mimseymo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2013

What a great experience. Our table for 6 was in the back room, next to the window. Swift, attentive service, good food and children's menu. The cod and chips was lovely, I had the Caesar salad with a light yoghurt dressing. Easy to have a good conversation, spacious, and smiling waitress.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dunstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed in Linton for a weekend away, trying to decipher what time you could eat at the restaurant was tough enough their website said 6.30pm the people where we were staying said 6pm and the when we were there we were told 7pm. Initial view of pub was good, lovely open fire very cosy and clean inside. We decided to wait to be seated and when the restaurant opened we went through to dine, we were the only people at this point going to eat they put is in a corner of the room which we didn't complain about as we hadn't booked and thought they may have bookings coming in and as we were sitting a table of four people came in also. We looked through the menu and made our choice of starters, eventually the waitress came to us and took our order when I asked if there was a chickens dish I could have she was help full and said they could do a chicken salad which was great. My husband had fish for starter and I had the olives and artisan bread it was terrible, the olives were bland and some of the bread was so hard you could bang it on the table and not make a dent in it. We told the waitress of this and she was apologetic and said it would be removed from the bill, we then got our mains mine a chicken salad and my husbands veal, again a big disappointment the veal was tough and the chicken was cooked well but tasted awful. Again we complained the waitress again apologised and informed us that the chef was her boyfriend?????? She went off to discuss the complaint after waiting 10 minutes we decided to go a see if we could find someone to pay the bill and leave. At this point the chef came out and was in my husbands face demanding to know what was wrong with the food, my husband calmly explained that it was bland and not cooked well and that all we wanted to do was pay and go. I sought another waitress and she was again apologetic and charged us only for the one starter, which was very friar of them considering we hadn't eaten the rest. Real shame as the previous reviews definately persuaded us to try this pub out.....maybe it was just an off night!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Although I've never been here in the evening, I'm a regular lunchtime visitor as I work once a week nearby. The usual lunch menu is perfectly adequate whilst not being spectacular - however today I had a particularly good, simple and very well prepared medium-rare steak and chips which I'm told is a recent addition to the daytime food selection (that + a pint for under £10).

Always an excellent pint of Guinness, some good ales and very friendly service. During the winter months there is an open fire, WIFI is also available, and there's a restaurant area out back if you're lucky enough to have more than your lunch hour free... !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Linton
The Crown House
#1 of 2 in Bartlow
White Hart Country Inn
White Hart Country Inn
#1 of 3 in Fulbourn

Been to The Crown Inn, Linton? Share your experiences!