“Delightful”

The Old Stables B&B
Ranked #2 of 6 Winslow B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my five night stay in this comfortable and clean B&B in charming Winslow. The house is nicely decorated, and has character but with modern conveniences. Personally, I like being able to get breakfast when it suits me, as it gives the option to get out the door early, or sleep in. I wish more B&Bs would offer this. An extra bonus was being able to do laundry. Since I was doing research in the area, owner Jeff got on the phone right away and tracked down contacts for me, which was most helpful. I think one would be hard pressed to find better value than this very reasonably priced B&B.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed July 28, 2012

This property is beautiful, charming and very comfortable, and the service provided by Jeff, it's owner, excellent and very welcoming.
We were originally booked in for two nights, but stayed for three, and it really felt like a home from home.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We found this little gem just by chance and it fitted our requirments perfectly, a place with loads of charm. A really good stay, very relaxed and just what we required. Jeff was very helpful and nothing seemed too much trouble and his marmalade at breakfast is to die for.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2012

This is an idyllic, unspoilt old cottage in a very pretty spot, England at it's best!! Jeff was fabulous - incredibly welcoming and entertaining - and gave us the full run of his lovely house.
The bed was super with a lovely down duvet - something very few B&B's provide!! Unfortunately we were only in Winslow for one night - we wish it could have been more!!!
Jeff suggested we had dinner at the winebar/restaurant just around the corner and they very kindly gave us a discount on the bill as we were staying with him - which shows a traditional village community spiriit which adds to the charm! The breakfast in the lovely warm kitchen was perfect - everything we could want including delicious home made jams and freshly baked bread. We were able to park right outside the front door - we couldn't have asked for a better place to stay - it was also really good value!! Many, many thanks!!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank byfieldhouse
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I find this a tricky place to review. This is a smallish property with 3 rooms. The owner Jeff also lives here. Its right in the centre of Winslow a small town with shops and a number of eateries including take-aways. Jeff stresses that you have the run of the place including the lounge with TV and the Kitchen/Diner where you could, if you wished, eat your own food. Breakfast is served in the kitchen and can be full English for an extra £5.50.

We stayed in the rooms that shared a bathroom. We did not pick this up from the website and did not think to ask when we booked as you assume most places are en suite. Luckily we were with friends who were happy to share had this not been the case we might have walked away.

The bedrooms in question were fine although did have a damp patch in the ceiling in the double. The bathroom was large and in good order apart from paint peeling off the radiator.

There is no off street parking and finding a spot in the narrow street is difficult. Both of us had to park on the main road.

The tricky bit and this is personal, is because you are using the facilities (Lounge and Kitchen) belonging to the owner it felt to us that we were intruding into the home of a stranger which made us feel a little uncomfortable. Let me stress this was not down to Jeff who made us feel very welcome.

As other reviewers have said its a quaint property in a quaint village that offers good value accommodation with the run of the house. On reflection it wasn't for us but do please try it for yourself.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AndrewandMary_15
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My bedroom was charming,with a really "comfy"bed.Jeff made a special trip to the shop to get me a yoghurt for breakfast.The restaurant on the corner was excellent...only minutes away...and I had a quiet night's sleep.The little walled garden is a haven of peace and tranquility.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Enchanting cottage, spotless, comfortable and very welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble and I was made to feel like an old friend. By far and away the best B&B I have yet to experience and I shall definitely return to The Old Stables when I'm next competing at Addington. Perhaps I shouldn't eulogise too much otherwise I might find myself unable to stay due to it being full! Thank you Jeff and I look forward to seeing you again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo