“Good value for money”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Waddesdon
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Good value for money”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

A very reasonable place to stay for a few nights. We had a lovely room, on the back with King sized comfortable bed. Drinks in the bar were reasonably priced and the quality was good. The main road is quite busy so if you book one, it may be best to ask for a room at the back

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Dinner & drinks with a friend at The Lion, mediocre at best.

I don't drink beer but my friend said "it wasn't the best". I had a bottled soft drink & a glass of Red wine so anyone would struggle to go wrong there.

It seems everything on the menu has 'homemade' in front of it but it certainly didn't look homemade to me. I ate the most expensive linguine I have ever eaten & that is saying something as I live in West London!!

My ultimate pet hate is when people try to cook Italian food who clearly can't or don't know the rules. You never put cheese on a fish dish if its Italian. My prawn linguine not only came with some sort of grated cheese over it but the sauce tasted like it had been processed & the only thing that seemed to have been added at home was the mountain of garlic that overpowered everything!! All of my 4 prawns were over cooked & tough. A seafood or prawn linguine should be very simple, tossed in good quality olive oil, fresh chilli, a little garlic & certainly NO CHEESE.

My friend had the ale pie. This Man will eat anything & everything put in front of him but even he was unable to decide which part of the meal was homemade, the chips certainly were not.

The pub is small, going through major building works & has large TV's on the wall blaring out various sports. The only thing I did like were the working open log fires which kept the place warm but leave your clothes reeking of wood smoke.

A quaint country inn serving good food it is not I'm afraid.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kate A

Travelers are raving about these Waddesdon hotels

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed the night here as was visiting school friends in Aylesbury & Oxford and wanted somewhere in between and had already had lunch here a few times.

Very welcoming, the room was spotlessly clean and very well appointed. The shower deserves a mention in it's own right as was fab.

Had an evening meal which was lovely (I had the butternut squash tortellini) and although there were biggish Christmas parties in I wasn't made to feel like an inconvenience.

Breakfast was cooked to order and was what I wanted - very nice and a nice end to my mini-break.

Should mention that the car-parking was good as often this can let places down.

Overall I loved my time at The Lion and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Friendly and welcoming staff. On arrival we had two beef sandwiches and two soft drinks which came to over £17! We had a double room at the front of the pub, next to the main road which was rather noisy. The room was clean but the lighting was very poor.The general standard of the room was not that of 4 star accommodation and very over priced at £90 for bed and breakfast. Breakfast was average and the yoghurts supplied were out of date!

Room Tip: Not at the front of the pub and not above the music.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Boo0859
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed here 2nd November. They had a halloween disco blasting in the evening. Went to our room at 23'00 and noise from disco was horrendous. My partner went to complain only to be told by rude landlady that unfortunately our room was above the speakers and were'nt we young once. We found the booming noise intolerable and their response was that they werent a hotel. If we want a hotel they'd take us down the road to the Holiday Inn where it would cost us 160.00 a night. We were reluctantly offered a smaller room in the annex building. No apology was offered or a reduction in the room rate. Needless to say we didnt stay for breakfast and made an early exit in the morning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joyce E
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Needed to be in this area on business - the Lion was recommended by a highly regarded culinary friend, that I have since thanked.!! I had a pre dinner drink in the bar, the landlady ( I think was called Annette) was the most perfect host and very informative about Waddesdon and its history. In the restaurant, I found the food just superb. The room was spotless and the most comfy of beds ! I now need to visit this lovely "Coaching Inn" again this time with my family and visit the Manor which the landlady advised. Looking forward to that restaurant!! Chris R

Room Tip: old stable block
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank chris r
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Half way point on a 32 mile walk along Aylsebury Ring we needed an overnight stop, thats where The Lion came into it, now we were tired and due to weather a bit mucky. Anywhere would suffice in this case, but the staff at The Lion were very friendly and helpful, the room was really very nice and facilities excellent and clean. After making ourselves presentable we went for an evening meal in bar, again service very friendly and food great. After a comfortable nights sleep it was time for breakfast which could not be faulted. Overall a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waddesdon
Five Arrows Hotel
Holiday Inn Aylesbury
Holiday Inn Aylesbury
#3 of 6 in Aylesbury
Travelodge Thame Hotel

Been to The Lion Waddesdon? Share your experiences!