“Great Food”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Waddesdon
Buckingham, United Kingdom
“Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have not stayed here but eaten in the restaurant twice recently. We had lunch this week with friends, expecting good food after visiting before Xmas. We were not disappointed as the chefs produced excellent quality food. What a shame restaurants today do not take the front of house as seriously as the food. The Five Arrows is much the same in this respect. Attentive service should be the norm but this time we were tucked away in an alcove and easy to be forgotten. 10 minutes before a wine list was free!! Another 10 - 15 minutes before we saw a member of staff up our end to take the order. The water requested when we sat down had still not arrived, so at least 20 minutes sat without any drink (except for a coffee for one of our party that was ordered earlier). When the order was taken things started to move because the kitchens were in action and our food arrived quickly. Once the main course was finished we once again had to remind front of house staff that we were there. We could not catch anyone's eye because we were out of sight (and out of mind?). To maintain the dynamics of service in a restaurant requires more than bringing food when it is ready, someone should be walking and looking at tables constantly. The waiting staff were pleasant enough, but if you go to eat here (which I do recommend) then try for a table nearer to the service point where you will be seen. My wife recommends the soup as the best ever.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
AlexMcEwen, General Manager at Five Arrows Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Dennis L,

May I please firstly thank you for having taken the time to post a review of your latest visit to our restaurant. I would like also to thank you for the compliments you made regarding the dishes we served you and your party. I can only apologise for the poor quality of service you received on that occasion as having to wait is simply not acceptable. I have had a word with my front of house team and they have to check daily that they have an adequate number of wine lists and menus clean and ready.

I am pleased that the quality of the food we offer is enough to encourage you to return despite this experience and we look forward to showing you that this was an aberration, and certainly anything but typical of the Five Arrows.

Alex

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Haddenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

We spent four nights here in January on a January special deal. The room was lovely, beautifully decorated and comfortable bed. The food from breakfast to dinner was SUPERB! Very friendly staff. Only downside was a small shower unit in the en-suite and bad water pressure but that would not put me off staying again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marianne M
AlexMcEwen, General Manager at Five Arrows Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
MarianneDenHaag,

I have passed your compliments to the team here at The Five Arrows and I would like to thank you on their behalf. We appreciate you letting us know about the shower, as we have never before had shower pressure issues and will investigate staright away.

Even though the January special deal is obviously now over, we regularly have special offers including the very popular Friday and Sunday specials. Maybe you will have the opportunity to take advantage of one of them in the future and return to visit us. We hope so!

Hove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Having had a superb lunch here earlier in the year we decided to treat ourselves to a two night Christmas break. We checked in early on Christmas Eve and were shown to a wonderful room with a balcony. The bed was very comfortable..a 4 poster no less!
The staff here are very eager to please and I cannot find fault with the hotel.
The food in the restaurant continues to be superb with friendly and efficient service.
We look forward to another visit later this year.

Room Tip: the rooms at the front face the A41 which can be very busy at times but did not bother us that much
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank davideHoveEastSussex
AlexMcEwen, General Manager at Five Arrows Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear davideHoveEastSussex

We are obviously pleased that you chose to spend your Christmas with us and are delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay. The 2 rooms with their own balcony are always popular despite being at the front of the property and no doubt when we will have those front windows tripleglazed they will be in even higher demand.

We look forward to your visit later in the year!

Holmes Chapel, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have been staying at the Five Arrows approximately once a month for 1 or 2 nights over the past two years whilst working in Aylesbury. It is an absolute delight. The rooms are comfortbale, cosy and welcoming and the staff are friendly and always helpful.

I find the breakfast to be far better in quality and value for money than standard hotel fare (there is a Premier Inn and Holiday Inn in Aylesbury) and the dinner is excellent in both regards also.

The only issue of note is the rooms adjacent to the busy A41, which can be a bit noisy during the night. I always request a room away from the road and am aware that they are installing triple glazing early in 2013.

The place has a charm all of its own - given the choice I would not stay anywhere else in the area.

Room Tip: Avoid those adjacent to the A41.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Steve U
Dear Steve U,

Thank you for taking the time to post an (excellent and unprompted!) review of your regular stays here at The Five Arrows. I have passed your comments to all our departments who very much appreciate the feedback. I hope you had a lovely Christmas and New Year, and that we will continue to see you throughout 2013.

St Albans
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

We arrived on a cold and wet Sunday evening to be greeted with the words, "oh yes, we've upgraded you to a junior suite". What a lovely start to a wonderful break. The suite was amazing, the shower even better. Supper included a free glass of champagne and a great choice of dishes. Everything we had was tasty. We wondered up to Waddesdon Manor, free entry on showing of door key and enjoyed the Xmas lights and free wine and caramel vodka tasting.
My only gripe is that the mattress was a bit hard and the pillows not quite as squishy as I like them, but that's a matter of taste.
We will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road - it's very quiet and peaceful round the back.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PapayaStAlbans
AlexMcEwen, General Manager at Five Arrows Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear PapayaStAlbans,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your stay with us. I am pleased for you that you were lucky enough to come on a Sunday night when we were not fully booked, and therefore we were able to upgrade you. I hope you have had a lovely Christmas and that we get the opportunity to welcome you again in 2013.

Alex.
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

We booked a one-night break to see the Christmas decorations at Waddesdon Manor, which were amazing, and picked this hotel. Just eleven rooms at the Five Arrows, which is full of history and interest. The welcome was delightful and the room very comfortable indeed. For dinner we had a goat's cheese panna cotta (imagine!) which was sublime, followed by perfectly cooked sea bass. These were washed down with an excellent Rioja at a very fair price.
My partner woke in the night (yes, it is on the A41, but triple glazing planned) and drooled over the thought that there might be kippers for breakfast. Sure enough, they were on offer, and again perfectly cooked. Altogether this was a perfect stay.
The Buckinghamshire County Museum in the old part of Aylesbury was well worth the visit the following morning.

Room Tip: Possibly ask for room facing the garden if the extra glazing not installed.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
AlexMcEwen, General Manager at Five Arrows Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Greytrav,

Thank you for the review that you took the time to put on tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at The Five Arrows. Due to our location and historical link with Waddesdon Manor we are often chosen as the place to stay by people coming from afar to visit this extraordinary house. The Christmas decorations are obviously a major reason for people to come and take a peek, however Waddesdon Manor plays hosts to a variety of concerts, fayres and exhibitions throughout the year. The Christmas decorations have a different theme every year but maybe there will be another event tempting you to return to the Manor before then-check their website for details, and hopefully visit us again when you do!

Regards, and Merry Christmas

Malton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

I am currently staying away a lot on business and visiting many towns/cities new to me so the hotels are mostly new to me as well. I use a company travel agent but when I have time, I do read reviews from trip advisor on hotels. I did not have time to read about the Five Arrows so was not aware of its history and lineage. I was very pleasently surprised when I pulled in to the hotel car park. The building is a delight to see, so full of character and my initial impression was only re-enforced as I checked in at reception and was shown to my room. The staff are just a delight. So very relaxed, helpful and friendly. The room was gorgeous. Only complaint was that the shower never really warmed up but that slight point was so insignifinact when looking at the location and establishment overall. For the first time ever on ordering room service I was offered the option of having my starter delivered and then remaining courses staggered after that so all the courses I received were warm and I might add absolutely delicious. Staying here made staying away from home an absolute pleasure and not the normal bind and pain it normally can be when away on home for business. If you are ever in the locality I whole heartedly reccommend you stay here. I will definitely be returning when ever I can.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
AlexMcEwen, General Manager at Five Arrows Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Victoria K,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review after your recent stay here at the Five Arrows. It is a pleasure to see the friendliness of our staff mentioned once again.
As you noticed when ordering your room service we all do our utmost to make our guests' stay away from home as pleasurable as it can be. We do appreciate that people have a wide range of options when deciding where to stay or eat whilst away on business, and we endeavour to make sure people are satisfied when they have selected us and that they choose us again and again.
We are proud to be a favoured partner of many corporate guests who have been coming here for years, booking as individuals and through their companies. We look forward to you becoming another of them!

Alex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waddesdon
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Wendover
West Lodge Hotel
West Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Aston Clinton

Been to Five Arrows Hotel? Share your experiences!