“Wonderful Waddesdon”

Waddesdon Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Waddesdon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Surrounded by views of Oxfordshire, the Chilterns Hills, the Vale of Aylesbury and just a train ride away from London, Waddesdon Manor, is an ideal place for relaxing with family and friends. Explore this French Renaissance-style chateau built by Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild in 1874 to entertain the fashionable world and to house his collection of fine art. We are continuing the tradition today of entertainment and hospitality with events celebrating food and wine, and opportunities for you to explore our history, collections and gardens through changing exhibitions and special interest days. Historic aviary with zoological collection of endangered birds. Changing opening hours across the seasons - please check on website before you travel. Jan-Mar, Sat-Sun only 11am-4pm Apr-Oct, Wed-Sun 10am-5pm Nov-Dec, Wed-Sun 11am-6pm.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Yes it is crowded because lots of people know if a great place to spend a few hours but not that bad. Try the London underground in rush hour (s)
The house, its wonderful art, furniture etc is hard to better. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. which added to the enjoyment of our visit
The grounds and the Avery are stunning.
My wife and I did have to wait for a table in the cafe and then to be served but the staff were handling a packed cafe so I have no complaints.
Look at the website and then go see for yourself.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We visited this lovely National Trust property in the summer months.
The gardens were absolutely breathtaking with the most amazing colours and displays and as you walk down the large steps you see the most amazing statued fountain,the grounds are large with stunning views.As we walked through the grounds we noticed the odd bit of modern artwork on display,very large and cleverley thought out.
The house itself is stunning both inside and out,the outside looking quite like a French Chateau.
The interior of the house had been beautifully restored,the staff were very friendly and helpful giving lots of information about the history of the property.
We took a walk through woodland to the stables where there is a restaurant and a couple of shops.
From there we did a good walk to the plant centre,on the way there were some caves to explore set out in woodland with some stunning Japanese Acers full of colour.
The plant centre itself,sell lots of shrubs,trees and plants,seeds and various types of garden equipment,there is also a cafe available.
As we walked back to the manor,we decided to take a look at the large avery which was full of various species of stunning birds,photographers paradise if you can spot the birds.
Around the avery there was some amazing topiary of bird designed within the hedges.
This is a lovely place to visit,the grounds are full of colour and design and stunning.
The house is full of architecture inside and out and if you enjoy photography this is a great place to visit,especially in the summer months when the gardens are in full bloom.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

My name is Brian Parker I am 82 yrs old and lived in waddesdon in 1940 as an evacuee my brother Bill lived at the Manor with the Rothschild's driver and his wife I Lived in the village with my sister.Jean, I was 8yrs at the time. my brother and I made the London news when with 7 other boys, run away from a previous home in the same Waddesdon Village, the lady worked at the Manor and I think she needed the money which she got from the government. we got 50 miles .the first day; and got court and Rothschild's driver drove us back to waddesdon. and that is how my brother ended up at the Manor,I only saw the Manor once , I still have found memory's of the deer and daffodils and the stables for the cars .and beautiful model ships .I would love to visit it to day,thank you, yours truly Rev Brian G Parker.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

this is clearly a National Trust flag ship offering. Yes its impressive and worth a visit, very well presented with excellent exhibits. However it is all 19th Century and for us all too commercial and focused on getting you to spend money to support NT. For real history and atmosphere we prefer Claydon House.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We are National Trust member and regularly visit Waddesdon. On a nice day you can picnic in the grounds, play in the adventure playground, wander round the extensive gardens or play games. We've also done the chidlren's tour of the house which was good and aimed at their age group. We have also been to the music festival which was a great night out with Bucks Fizz and Bjorn Again.